Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 10:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Your Cheech references make me want to add a dog to my menagerie.
That sounds like a great idea. He came from the SPCA as a pup.
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-cheech-creekjumpin.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 08:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
pool season has officially begun. went in the pool last friday and saturday and went in my neighbors pool on sunday (only went in the hot tub since he doesnt keep the pool as toasty as me). upcoming weekend looks like a pool weekend also. so i think next year we will look to open somewhere around the 2nd week in may.

should be getting my next gas bill soon which im expecting to be quite high.

slide was a hit

Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 AM

so after about a year of not having a fence, the town came by and slapped me with some fines and so i had to push the fence company to install it. they did and i still failed inspection for the fence not being self closing. the fence is self closing but it doesnt pull hard enough and gets stuck in the grass. i called the fence company and they said they would stop by but they are slow. anyone know how to adjust these hinges to up the tension?

Old 06-16-2021, 12:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so after about a year of not having a fence, the town came by and slapped me with some fines and so i had to push the fence company to install it. they did and i still failed inspection for the fence not being self closing. the fence is self closing but it doesnt pull hard enough and gets stuck in the grass. i called the fence company and they said they would stop by but they are slow. anyone know how to adjust these hinges to up the tension?
If you make any adjustments to the hinges yourself it would be considered an interference and the fence company that installed it for you will no longer be legally obligated to fix it or to make adjustments to the height of the gate free of charge. Any work they do for you after you make adjustments/interference, you will have to pay extra for the work because it would be considered a separate job from the original contract.

But you can do whatever you want with the grass and the ground that it's growing out of there so just lower the level of the ground that's beneath the gate's arc of passage. Remove the sod, lower the soil 2 or 3 inches, replace the sod and then always keep the grass there mowed very, very short. Or else you could just remove the grass sod altogether, lower the soil level a bit and then replace the sod with concrete or with flat tiles or large flagstones or small round pea-gravel beneath the gate's arc of passage so that no grass or weeds will grow as an impediment.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Captain, I don't have any advice about the fence (except that if the fence company doesn't come back ASAP, make THEM pay the fines! ), but I was wondering if your gas bill went up as much as you thought it might?

That slide looks really fun! Can adults fit in it too or is it kid-sized? (Sorry, can't tell from the pictures!)

Old 06-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
If you make any adjustments to the hinges yourself it would be considered an interference and the fence company that installed it for you will no longer be legally obligated to fix it or to make adjustments to the height of the gate free of charge. Any work they do for you after you make adjustments/interference, you will have to pay extra for the work because it would be considered a separate job from the original contract.

But you can do whatever you want with the grass and the ground that it's growing out of there so just lower the level of the ground that's beneath the gate's arc of passage. Remove the sod, lower the soil 2 or 3 inches, replace the sod and then always keep the grass there mowed very, very short. Or else you could just remove the grass sod altogether, lower the soil level a bit and then replace the sod with concrete or with flat tiles or large flagstones or small round pea-gravel beneath the gate's arc of passage so that no grass or weeds will grow as an impediment.

from what i have seen on some youtube videos, other fences can be adjusted by just a turn of a screw or something similar. i figure if it was so simple id take a crack at it. i dont see my specific latch on a youtube video though.

i dont want to change the grass or anything. it is mowed weekly so its not overgrown. i think just a slight increase in tension should do the trick.

thanks

Old 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Captain, I don't have any advice about the fence (except that if the fence company doesn't come back ASAP, make THEM pay the fines! ), but I was wondering if your gas bill went up as much as you thought it might?

That slide looks really fun! Can adults fit in it too or is it kid-sized? (Sorry, can't tell from the pictures!)
my may bill was 426.88. most of that is going to the pool heater but there was a day of power outage so the generator ran and it seems like the furnace i replaced is wasting a lot of the hot air so that doesnt help. it was cool in may and not paricularly sunny so i got very little from the solar cover. we arent going to open up the pool as early next year, probably mid may. it wasnt worth the trouble and expense for the 2 or 3 times we went in the pool from mid-april to mid-may.

it has been warmer and sunny in june so its going to cost me a lot less to heat the pool and my pool is much warmer than anyone else in town. last year the bills were like $50-60 in the summer and i like my pool at 95 or so.

i was the first to go down the slide at a party we had at our house in early may. it can fit adults just fine. its pretty great and the kids love it. i was using water from a hose but that kept filling my pool above the skimmer. now i have it set up with a pump in the pool pumping the pool water to it, much better.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:17 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
I know I asked about the fence early on, but I am in utter disbelief that you were allowed to compete a pool without a fence, for this length of time. I can tell you on Long Island, they would not issue the certificate of completion if there were no fence. Here in De. the laws don't require a fence, you have a choice a 4 foot wall or a fence. I find the wall equally as ridiculous, but hey I don't write the laws.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I know I asked about the fence early on, but I am in utter disbelief that you were allowed to compete a pool without a fence, for this length of time. I can tell you on Long Island, they would not issue the certificate of completion if there were no fence. Here in De. the laws don't require a fence, you have a choice a 4 foot wall or a fence. I find the wall equally as ridiculous, but hey I don't write the laws.
i wasnt able to get the final pool permit without the fence. i was also supposed to have a temporary fence up until the permanent fence was completed. so its not like it was really allowed. ultimately, im told a couple of neighbors complained about it so they had to come and write me some tickets. but ultimately it doesnt look like i will have to pay any fines.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I just wanted to update this thread.

As many of you know, my husband, who is really the one who wanted the pool, died unexpectedly and suddenly in August of 2020. We had just put in the pool a few months earlier. The house was too big, the pool was too big, everything was too much for me to care for, so I decided to just take a loss and sell it. Well, long story short, because of the upswing in the real estate market, I didn't take a loss. I also had to move of course, but I was downsizing and plus I bought a smaller house for cash and I bought it from a friend who was moving out of the country, so she was eager to sell and didn't have to list it so there was that.

I miss my pool every single day though. It was well worth the time and money but I do want to point out that it is definitely a commitment of time, for me every single day because I am a stickler for NO LEAVES OR DEBRIS AT ALL.

I found that having a pool overall ran my utility bills up every month because the pump ran so much, even when it wasn't being used in the cold months. I would guess that on an average, the utility bills and chemicals and total upkeep pushed an extra $100 to $150 a month in bills.

But it sure was nice to have it, nice to look at, nice overall. I have missed it this year. Among other things. And people.

However, I will add that I joined a gym that is very close to me and it has a pool so that's been very cost effective. And I have several friends with pools, including one who lives right around the corner from me and she and I hang out several mornings a week in her pool. It's not as nice as having my own, but it's also a lot less expensive and time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden