U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Status: "We're all broken, that's how the light gets in." (set 11 days ago)

55,785 posts, read 44,151,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Trying to get my head around the fact that there are “septic designers”. That’s a niche I never thought of.
You are not kidding. Apparently there are tons of state and local laws regarding septic systems and then to incorporate a pool in a yard with a septic system requires "designing." WHO KNEW???? lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 AM

OK interesting day yesterday. We had two different companies come out to give us bids on pergolas. We should get those bids today and I will share them.

The interesting thing is that both companies use the very same materials and processes. So it will be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in their pricing.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 AM

75,296 posts, read 58,833,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK interesting day yesterday. We had two different companies come out to give us bids on pergolas. We should get those bids today and I will share them.

The interesting thing is that both companies use the very same materials and processes. So it will be interesting to see if there is a significant difference in their pricing.
Material and process isn't everything in a bid I'm sure you know. Employees, size of company, speed of work, experience, and "estimate" time to complete all matter too. I would be shocked if they are close in price. There are 3 things you need to look for when hiring a contractor.
1. Price
2. Personality
3. Quality of work

I say you need at least 2 of those 3

Old 01-28-2020, 01:02 PM

41,182 posts, read 50,967,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Material and process isn't everything in a bid I'm sure you know. Employees, size of company, speed of work, experience, and "estimate" time to complete all matter too. I would be shocked if they are close in price. There are 3 things you need to look for when hiring a contractor.
1. Price
2. Personality
3. Quality of work

I say you need at least 2 of those 3
I’m willing to bet they each keep tabs on their competitors, so I bet they’ll be close.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:46 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,181,159 times
Quote:
You are not kidding. Apparently there are tons of state and local laws regarding septic systems and then to incorporate a pool in a yard with a septic system requires "designing." WHO KNEW???? lol

In this case I think a septic designer might indeed be worth his cost if he can keep the septic system and pool water always separated.

Think E. Coli.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
In this case I think a septic designer might indeed be worth his cost if he can keep the septic system and pool water always separated.

Think E. Coli.
Of course!

The septic designer came out today - took tons of measurements, tried to talk me out of my only set of blueprints, etc. (No - the pool company has those and here's their contact information!) Got all kinds of forms signed and notarized for the state. So things are slowly moving along.

One thing is nice - every single person I've met with has been helpful and pleasant to work with so far.

I get the second bid from the other pergola company later today. I think the pool company is accustomed to working with both companies. If this company is just a little higher than the other one though, I will go with this company because I have seen their work in person. It does make a difference. Plus they were the first company the pool company recommended. There would have to be a significant difference in price for me to justify using the other company and even then, I want to double check with the pool company regarding who they are comfortable coordinating with.

Money isn't everything, that's for sure.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post

Think E. Coli.
Right - that's why I haven't been dismayed by state and local and HOA requirements - never should the two bodies of water ever meet!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-30-2020, 08:05 AM

OK I got the last bid in for the pergola and it's just about the same as the first one - and it's the company the pool company usually uses so they are used to working together. Same design and same materials for both companies so OK.

Anyway, all we're waiting on now to submit the plans to the HOA is the design from the septic designer (still can't believe that's a job but it is!). We should get those this week!

Old 01-30-2020, 09:02 AM

3,547 posts, read 2,994,485 times
Quote:
Of course!

I get the second bid from the other pergola company later today. I think the pool company is accustomed to working with both companies. If this company is just a little higher than the other one though, I will go with this company because I have seen their work in person. It does make a difference. Plus they were the first company the pool company recommended. There would have to be a significant difference in price for me to justify using the other company and even then, I want to double check with the pool company regarding who they are comfortable coordinating with.

Money isn't everything, that's for sure.

You got that right! (I did see your follow-up post on which one you chose)
I have 3 large trees that need to come down and I got 5 estimates. I'm probably going with the guy that is 2nd from highest estimate because he just seemed to know his stuff more. He was the most professional and sat down with paper and pen actually figuring out his costs and profit margin to try to come in at a lower price and said he just couldn't do it any lower and come out ahead. I have the most confidence in him.

The other guys.. every one of them, looked at the trees and said.. umm.... I can do it for blah blah.
When I said I'll pass.. suddenly the price came down about 2k or more.

(And, where I used to live I had a friend who's bro-in-law took down trees for a living and he told me almost every one of them never gave a quote until they saw what the potential customers house and car looked like )

Like the saying goes... do you always want the lowest bidder building that bridge? lol.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:56 PM

1,900 posts, read 813,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
My daughter currently has an offer in on a house in Seattle. It used to have a nice pool in the backyard, but the former owners bought it with the pool and then had the pool removed. As part of the negotiations, the sellers provided documentation showing they removed the pool properly. With the removal, also, of the deck and some concrete walkways, the total cost was $26,000.
Actually that is a big industry here in Sydney despite the fact that you can pretty well swim year round. I think the cost is quite similar. People simply tend not to use their pools much. I can see about five from my veranda and most seem to get used about five times a year, including my own. I think life is too busy and the kids have swimming lessons as part of their regulated recreation.

We were looking at new houses and if they have a pool they seem to be going for the small lap pools. Or some are like large spas. We have a plunge pool here and it is nice for the grandkids when they stay. Might go in this morning as it is going to be very hot. But I would not swim later as I prefer my aircon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden