Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

We are going to go today to sign the contract to start on the pool project in our back yard! I'm nervous!

The plans do have to be approved by the HOA.

Pictures to come! Here is the back yard without the pool:
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-6-19-back-above-2.jpg   Well, we're about to do it!-6-19-back-yard-side.jpg   Well, we're about to do it!-back-house-facing-patio.jpg   Well, we're about to do it!-patio-9-19.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 01:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
I love to swim outside. I occasionally toy with the idea of moving to a house with a pool, but, I can walk across the street to the neighborhood pool in the early morning and have it all to myself to swim laps....and then share the cost with 100 other families. So, it works out.....but my own pool, it has its allure.....it would have to be big enough and the appropriate shape for a decent lap....maybe someday.......

Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Such fun. My best friend here put in a gorgeous pool with a travertine surround. It looks like a resort with all the chaises around and the pool toys. Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:23 PM

Thank you! OK, we got the preliminary plans to submit to the HOA. The pool is going to be long and narrow - I think 18 feet wide and 38 feet long. Rectangular. Tanning ledge on one end, two steps down, then from three to five feet deep. No diving and no diving board. A ledge along the far side facing the house. A four foot wide water fall in the center of the ledge (the ledge will be low - I think 18 inches - then in the middle for about 20 feet it will be about 30 inches high). Two bubblers at the tanning ledge end, and two water spouts at the other deeper end. Two places to put two umbrellas. One sitting platform at the deeper end. Several underwater lights. This pool is basically for doing laps and water aerobics, NOT DIVING.

Three feet of salted concrete around it the sides. We had tile on our patio in our last house and though it wasn't slick tile, it was still too slippery when it was wet outside so I think we're not going to go with tile around the pool.

Then we are going to put a hot tub with a pergola over it to one side. The hot tub is really cool - it has lights around the outside bottom as well as on the inside, and blue tooth speakers as well - cool! We already have a large patio area with lots of seating room and a fire pit so thank goodness we don't have to add any of THAT.

We chose the plaster (a very pale blue, fairly smooth) and the tile around the inner edge, and then flagstone around the exterior edge.

It's starting to feel real!

They said six weeks or so from the day of excavation. But I expect for it to get stuck with the HOA architectural committee for a week or so, and also I expect to have to wait a bit for the septic system guy to coordinate with the pool guys (we have to switch from an aerobic septic system to a drip system).

After we spend all that time and money, then we have to add landscaping. AUGH!

But anyway, it should be up and running by the summer. Summers are long here so the swimming season without adding a heater is from about mid May through September. We are going to try to do without a heater but we can add it if we want next year and that would make our swimming season run from April through October. Our back yard faces east so the pool will be shaded during the hottest part of the day, which is a benefit, but that also means it will definitely be too chilly in April and October. Hmmmm....

Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 PM

3,247 posts, read 2,333,796 times
How exciting! Sounds wonderful!

Old 01-15-2020, 05:00 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am super excited for you! I know you’ve been wanting a pool. It looks like a nice flat area to have one.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am super excited for you! I know you’ve been wanting a pool. It looks like a nice flat area to have one.
Yes, it's like a blank slate back there. That's the main reason we bought the house - because we figured we could put a pool in that big, flat back yard.

We got more good news - with the exception of the small crape myrtle trees (3) we can keep all our other trees because they are close to the fence.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Fire pit? NO

Heater? YES

Skip a lot of the extra crap which is just for show. Fancy Lights. Sound. Etc. Get a decent pool, perhaps even a liner pool so you have a more friendly surface which is easier to keep clean and repair.

Unless your objective is to show off instead of actively enjoy.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Fire pit? NO

Heater? YES

Skip a lot of the extra crap which is just for show. Fancy Lights. Sound. Etc. Get a decent pool, perhaps even a liner pool so you have a more friendly surface which is easier to keep clean and repair.

Unless your objective is to show off instead of actively enjoy.
We already have a fire pit and we love it and use it regularly. So we won't be adding that. The previous owners had already added that. This is our third fire pit and if the house hadn't come with it we definitely would have added it. We love fire pits.

We also really like lights. We live in Texas and sit outside a lot, so we want the pool to be lit and we want to enjoy the sound of water.

As for surround sound or whatever, we have outdoor speakers already also. We use those too. So no sound or whatever with the pool. The hot tub has bluetooth speakers in it though and I like that idea because otherwise a hot tub can tend to be noisy and drown out the sound of music. I don't want to be LOUD in our backyard - LOL. So it will be nice to have music coming from speakers in the hot tub. But that's not the main reason we're buying this particular hot tub. I do like the lights around the lower edge though as well as rotating lights in the water. This will be our third or fourth hot tub purchase over the years and we really enjoy the lighted water and waterfall features. I am looking forward to the lower exterior lights around the bottom because I've stubbed my toes many times on the lower ledge or climbing into the hot tub in the dark~!

I think we are getting a decent pool. After researching, we ruled out liner pools though I'm not hating on people who have them of course. I also think we are going to call the pool company back and tell them we want a heater. We would only use it a couple of months a year but it will extend the time we can spend in the pool. I don't have any interest in swimming when it's cold outside but we could swim starting in April and going through October if we add the heater.

We're not trying to impress other people by the way. We entertain sometimes but usually it's just my husband and me. Like I said, we spend a LOT of time outside in our back yard. So aesthetics are important to us. And I'm not trying to brag, but we don't mind spending some extra money to have exactly what we want. For ourselves.

The lights aren't expensive but I love the way they look! I am really looking forward to sitting outside or swimming in the lighted pool at night, with the sound of the bubblers and water jets going and maybe a favorite play list going. Should be ready in a few months!!!! Just in time for hot weather!

Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Such fun. My best friend here put in a gorgeous pool with a travertine surround. It looks like a resort with all the chaises around and the pool toys. Enjoy!
Thank you. We are both super excited!!!!! Our back yard is going to look like hell for awhile though - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden