Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 09:26 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we are having a disagreement on a decision. so we intend to put a small bathroom outside near the pool and there is a question of whether or not we should include a shower. so this bathroom would primarily be for visitors using the pool, having outdoor grill type food probably and hanging out at the house.

so one of us thinks that nobody will use the shower. that nobody showers when visiting friends at a pool for the day and then coming home in the evening. the other thinks that people will shower because it is conveniently there and they want to rinse off sunscreen, etc and may want to bathe their children. children in this group are presently young but mostly 5 years old and older.

so is anyone going to use the shower?
The bigger question is would you and your family use the shower? I like to do things in my home with myself in mind first. Not selfish at all just a way to make good decisions. For example. I have a 4 bedroom home and the design is 2 on the left and the master and a second on the right. Now, the beauty of the 2nd bedroom on the right is that there is a bath in that bedroom too, as opposed to the left side where it is right next-door. Our initial gut was to make that second master the guest room thinking it was nice for guests to have an en-suite bath. The more we thought about it and talked about it, we decided that since more often than not DH and I would be alone (unfortunately childless), it made more sense to use that room as a den for ourselves and the two rooms on the left could share the bath and have the left "wing" to themselves.

Will you have enough company to make it worth while? Only you can answer that. Second thought. They have very nice free standing outdoor showers that can be hooked to a hot and cold water line for rinsing off. We have a full outdoor shower because we live near the beach and use it a lot. We do have neighbors that just have the free standing shower head that they rinse off before going into the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 02:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Sounds weird, but pools and showering are a bit of a mystery for me.

I get that for indoor public pools they want people to shower before going in to reduce the bacteria. Do they expect people to really shower off (like thoroughly with soap & shampoo) or just give a quick rinse? I haven't been to such a public pool since I was a child taking mommy & me swimming lessons at the Y...other than some hotels that seemed to have ridiculously high chlorine levels (based on the smell).

For backyard family pools, I have never used nor seen anyone use a shower before going in. Sure if someone is dirty or especially sweaty (from yard work or something), it is a bit gross to think they'll be going straight into the pool, but for generally clean people who shower/bathe regularly anyway, it seems a bit pointless -- even counter-productive, for instance, when you have just applied sunscreen. ???

Maybe I'm missing something...

But yeah, a bathroom for going potty and washing hands afterward nearby to the pool sounds like a great idea.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:50 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The bigger question is would you and your family use the shower?
im sure my family wouldnt need to use the shower. so its just a matter if guests would use the shower or just change into clothes and worry about showering when they get home or the next day. most people would just be visiting for the day and going home locally in the evening. i dont really know how many people will be visiting. so i would just base the decision on if it would used by guests at least a little bit.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Well, we probably wouldn't use a shower getting in or out of a pool, but I can see how we'd use one getting out of the hot tub.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:00 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
We would not either. The only reason that I might be tempted to put one in there would be if I had frequent or semi-frequent house guests and might run short on showers at those times and it could be utilized at those times (and I suppose only during good weather) and only because if they're running the plumbing anyway, it would be the best opportunity to do so.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Sigh. Well, at least during the coronavirus brouhaha we should have a pretty pool to relax in. So far so good - will update with photos later. They are finishing up the tiling and coping today.

It is stressful to have all that noise and dust and all these people in my back yard.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:06 PM

My wife is starting to stress the mess. I'm not sure why, we wouldn't be using the backyard this time of year anyway. But now she is giving me stress. Looks like she will win the battle of including a shower even though I'm confident nobody will use it

Old 03-12-2020, 04:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
In laws had a shower. None of us wanted the chlorine smell . Our hair needed rinsed so it worked. I suppose if a person just wants to keep the chemicals on them...then forget the shower. The in laws also had a dog that swam in the pool. He loved getting rinsed off at the shower stall.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In laws had a shower. None of us wanted the chlorine smell . Our hair needed rinsed so it worked. I suppose if a person just wants to keep the chemicals on them...then forget the shower. The in laws also had a dog that swam in the pool. He loved getting rinsed off at the shower stall.
so was it used if you guys were just going to hang out in the pool, have some lunch or dinner and then head home? my wife apparently asked several friends and they all said they would use it either for themselves or kids. she followed up with asking if they ever shower at any other friends house and they said no but that is different because its an indoor bathroom not outdoor.

i dont know. i feel like the most likely scenario is it wont be used.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 PM

another point of contention is the patio outside my walk out basement. it is underneath a deck that i had built and it is built so that the water doesnt go through. its basically concrete and then the ceiling is just the underside of the deck. my wife wants to do the floor, ceiling, and maybe some lights and ceiling fan. i am fine with it as it is at least for now. its about 630 square feet so not a small space to have to fancy up and i think its nice enough and will be fine if we need to use it. im not sure how needed it will be considering there is a deck thats about 800 square feet above it. its kind of a back up in case of rain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden