Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

so right now the pool water is green and the skimmer isnt sucking in debris. i played around a little bit with the valves to see if i could get suction going but that didnt work and i dont want to do anything that might mess things up. we are having a party for my daughters birthday the following weekend. im nervous that we wont have time from when things start being cleaned (5/26) to the birthday time (5/30). i figure cleaning debris should easily be done in time as long as things work, i dont know how long it takes to kill off any algae or whatever has developed to make the water green,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 10:54 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so right now the pool water is green and the skimmer isnt sucking in debris. i played around a little bit with the valves to see if i could get suction going but that didnt work and i dont want to do anything that might mess things up. we are having a party for my daughters birthday the following weekend. im nervous that we wont have time from when things start being cleaned (5/26) to the birthday time (5/30). i figure cleaning debris should easily be done in time as long as things work, i dont know how long it takes to kill off any algae or whatever has developed to make the water green,
The green will clear up in that time frame, but it may not be safe to swim. A high concentration of chemicals will be used to kill the algae and balance the pool water. It takes time for them to drift back down to safe levels. You may want to call and ask if they think a four day time frame is reasonable or not, hopefully it will be.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
The green will clear up in that time frame, but it may not be safe to swim. A high concentration of chemicals will be used to kill the algae and balance the pool water. It takes time for them to drift back down to safe levels. You may want to call and ask if they think a four day time frame is reasonable or not, hopefully it will be.
im glad that we had this discussion and thanks for the suggestion, i reached out to the pool company and they are going to send someone to shock the pool tomorrow. woohoo!

Old 05-21-2020, 12:55 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you! By the way, have I already told you how much I love Rehoboth Beach?
Thanks again. We live outside the city limits by choice, having been an emergency preparedness worker during Sandy, we wanted no part of being near the water. We are about 1.5 miles from the water off Rt 1 and love it here too. I am concerned that we may lose a lot of shops on Rehoboth Avenue as they are simply going to be unable to get above water if we have to continue the way we are. I so understand their need to return to work, having spent almost 30 years on Wall Street, but, given the nature of being a resort town necessitates the slower return to normal. It is indeed challenging here.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Captain - have you been treating the water? The reason I ask is because from the first day we put water in the pool we had a regimen we were told to follow and that included adding weekly chemicals. I mean, at first it was pretty labor intensive because we also had to brush the gunite but I don't imagine you have to do that with a liner. But my understanding is that liners can be more conducive to algae - I don't know that for sure. But every week I bring a sample of the pool water in to the pool company and they tell me exactly what to add and every week I have to add some chemicals. I've had to add shock every week.

One of the pool owners checks her pool water every day but I am not prone to doing that. Once a week is enough for me. She adds a bit of something every day. But our tests have been coming back good and we've been swimming and it feels great - the water is very clear. So I don't see the need to test every day and I'm probably just not going to do that.

What color is your liner? Our plaster is white but it looks pale blue with the water in it. Also, do you have an in-pool cleaning system or a robot cleaning system or what?

What I'm calling the skimmer is the thing with the long handle that I use to scoop leaves or whatever (a mouse once - LOL) out of the pool. I just had to use it to get grass cuttings out of the pool since we just cut our grass. I guess the filter thingie is called a skimmer too, I don't know. We have an in-pool cleaning system rather than that robot thing that scoots along inside the pool.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Captain - have you been treating the water? The reason I ask is because from the first day we put water in the pool we had a regimen we were told to follow and that included adding weekly chemicals. I mean, at first it was pretty labor intensive because we also had to brush the gunite but I don't imagine you have to do that with a liner. But my understanding is that liners can be more conducive to algae - I don't know that for sure. But every week I bring a sample of the pool water in to the pool company and they tell me exactly what to add and every week I have to add some chemicals. I've had to add shock every week.

One of the pool owners checks her pool water every day but I am not prone to doing that. Once a week is enough for me. She adds a bit of something every day. But our tests have been coming back good and we've been swimming and it feels great - the water is very clear. So I don't see the need to test every day and I'm probably just not going to do that.

What color is your liner? Our plaster is white but it looks pale blue with the water in it. Also, do you have an in-pool cleaning system or a robot cleaning system or what?

What I'm calling the skimmer is the thing with the long handle that I use to scoop leaves or whatever (a mouse once - LOL) out of the pool. I just had to use it to get grass cuttings out of the pool since we just cut our grass. I guess the filter thingie is called a skimmer too, I don't know. We have an in-pool cleaning system rather than that robot thing that scoots along inside the pool.
i havent been treating it at all. the pool company never told me to. they havent been good with telling me stuff and i know that some of it is stuff that they should have told me. i just figured that they would get it clean when they were done then i would be able to maintain going forward. i believe liner is less likely to develop stuff because it is totally non-porous and is a slippery surface vs gunite.

ever since it turned green i barely remember what the liner looks like. i believe its kind of a dark blue. the pool company is supposed to be giving me some kind of robot thing to clean it, im guessing they will bring it on the 26th and show me what to do. im going to make sure i ask any questions then because i dont think i can depend on them much after.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i havent been treating it at all. the pool company never told me to. they havent been good with telling me stuff and i know that some of it is stuff that they should have told me. i just figured that they would get it clean when they were done then i would be able to maintain going forward. i believe liner is less likely to develop stuff because it is totally non-porous and is a slippery surface vs gunite.

ever since it turned green i barely remember what the liner looks like. i believe its kind of a dark blue. the pool company is supposed to be giving me some kind of robot thing to clean it, im guessing they will bring it on the 26th and show me what to do. im going to make sure i ask any questions then because i dont think i can depend on them much after.
Yes, I do think you should have been cleaning it but if it's any comfort to you, we are friends with the pool company owner (whose company built our pool) and he was showing me some photos someone had sent him of a pool that hadn't been treated in months and he got it into shape within a week. Not sure about swimming in it though. But it looked good within a week. And honestly, the water was HORRIBLE looking at the start.

But I do think that if you want your daughter and her friends to be able to swim in it you should start working on it right now and not wait till the 26th.

We have some anti algae stuff that we add each week - we just pour it into the water (only about 6 oz of stuff). So far, no issues.

But I get up every morning, skim the leaves or whatever out of the pool (there's not very many but I'm really anal about this!), and I brush the bottom of the pool. To be honest, I find it relaxing - out in the back yard, really early in the morning, listening to birds...I like it.

Once you get it into shape it shouldn't be hard to maintain.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do think you should have been cleaning it but if it's any comfort to you, we are friends with the pool company owner (whose company built our pool) and he was showing me some photos someone had sent him of a pool that hadn't been treated in months and he got it into shape within a week. Not sure about swimming in it though. But it looked good within a week. And honestly, the water was HORRIBLE looking at the start.

But I do think that if you want your daughter and her friends to be able to swim in it you should start working on it right now and not wait till the 26th.

We have some anti algae stuff that we add each week - we just pour it into the water (only about 6 oz of stuff). So far, no issues.

But I get up every morning, skim the leaves or whatever out of the pool (there's not very many but I'm really anal about this!), and I brush the bottom of the pool. To be honest, I find it relaxing - out in the back yard, really early in the morning, listening to birds...I like it.

well, hopefully they will come today like i was told and we have 8 days to get it ready. looks like we will have at least a few families over for some birthday fun so i dont want to disappoint.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:06 PM

soooo somehow i didnt notice last night that my dog didnt come in the house with me after her final pee of the day. so she slept outside last night. i see her running around the house in my various cameras every so often throughout the night. thankfully she didnt go for a swim. ive been keeping her on a leash more vs being free because im afraid she will end up in the pool. so i guess she passed the test.

Old 05-23-2020, 08:17 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:

Just coincidentally, my grandson is a marketing major in college and his dad is GM of a store that sells pools, and chemicals. My grandson has narrated their pool school, which is available online because of the pandemic. I enjoyed listening to it, since I still think of him as a chubby kid. He’s still chubby, but he does a good job of explaining.

I’m guessing that most other companies, like the one you and Captain nj deal with have something similar? If it were me, I’d probably need to listen to it 100 times to get everything straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden