Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am so creeped out by those things. I taught Bio for a couple of years and would make the students grab the live frogs. Dead is no problem. Live. Ewwwwwww

Oh man, not me - I love them.

We have several toads who come "visit" us on the patio every evening! I am pretty sure they are the same ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 08:57 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Your house, your pool, what ever floats your boat, just keep your eyes out for drones. Many brokers, at least in this area are using drones for aerial shots of property.
We have the screened pool cage and it’s aluminum framework overhead, two stands of clumping bamboo nearby, plus the neighbors trees. Any drone would have to go directly over the pool with a narrow window of viewing. I’m not worried.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
I am so creeped out by those things. I taught Bio for a couple of years and would make the students grab the live frogs. Dead is no problem. Live. Ewwwwwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh man, not me - I love them.

We have several toads who come "visit" us on the patio every evening! I am pretty sure they are the same ones.

I love having toads in my yard as well. A few days ago I went to empty an outdoor trash can that I had stupidly forgotten to put the lid fully on (then it rained), and right on top of the water was a toad. The little guy scared me at first because I wasn't expecting him, but I just left him alone and went back later to empty the water out! Not sure where he went but I'm sure I'll see him around again.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:57 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I am such a girly girl, raised with a sister and no brothers. I will blame it on that. I am creeped out by mice, lizards, frogs etc. once a frog jumped over my foot and I screamed for about 5 minutes. Gives me the chills thinking about it.

I had a 2 1/2 foot snake in the garage about a month ago and I still have not put the car in or taken it out. I swear I live in terror of things like that.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:08 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
I am such a girly girl, raised with a sister and no brothers. I will blame it on that. I am creeped out by mice, lizards, frogs etc. once a frog jumped over my foot and I screamed for about 5 minutes. Gives me the chills thinking about it.

I had a 2 1/2 foot snake in the garage about a month ago and I still have not put the car in or taken it out. I swear I live in terror of things like that.
I know what you mean, I’m not that way with rodents, but I’m scared of being startled. I don’t mind frogs and snakes outside because they are so useful in the garden.

We have our old kitchen cupboards in the garage where we store little used items. One day hubby found a snake skin in one of the cupboards. Now, that would have sent me shrieking.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know what you mean, I’m not that way with rodents, but I’m scared of being startled. I don’t mind frogs and snakes outside because they are so useful in the garden.

We have our old kitchen cupboards in the garage where we store little used items. One day hubby found a snake skin in one of the cupboards. Now, that would have sent me shrieking.
About a month ago, DH found a 2.5 ft snake in the garage. I have not been in the garage since, not even to pull my car out. It is a total pain to be dependent on him to take the car out for me but I am so creeped out. It is not like there is a chance that it is in the garage as I personally got the garden hose and hit the "jet" pattern to spray and annoy it once he got it out of the garage and I saw it slither (shudder) away. Mind you I was about 25 -30 feet away when I did this in full sprint mode in case he came at me!! Like I said, a really, really girly girly when it comes to worms, snakes, bugs, frogs, etc.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Well, I don't feel so bad. I saw the body of a largish spider (one of those brown spiders that lives in grass) in the back yard and I walked around that spot like it was burned into my head for at least a month! Not a live spider, a dead one. But any spider at all is one too many.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:45 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
So interesting what we are afraid of -- and what we AREN'T!

I don't mind spiders at all, nor toads, nor snakes. Lots of all of those around here.

But a tiny MOUSE anywhere in my house (or in my kitty Chloe's MOUTH as she saunters by ) and I am like this: !!! Luckily, since my kitchen remodel none have managed to find their way back into living space (although Chloe is ever vigilant), but I am sure there are some in the basement (even though there is NO food or water source down there).

KA, do you ever find dead rodents in your pool when you skim? That's the only thing I'd hate about pool maintenance -- finding dead creatures in there. And I would be devastated if I found someone's pet out there some morning.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:12 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My daughter used to find dead toads in her pool, regularly. Who knew they can’t swim?

Old 07-24-2020, 04:36 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
We find tiny frogs/toads that are small enough to get in the enclosure and that’s not too often. We had a small juvenile racer in the pool enclosure the first year with our pool. DH put screen covers on some of the drains after that happened, which was the likely entry point. I didn’t recognize that is was a racer since it was not black, but had a gray and black mottled pattern. Now I know.

I’m not afraid of any wildlife outside, I’m just not happy when they make their way inside the house. The garage and pool enclosure are semi-outside, so no real surprise when something gets in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden