Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 01:27 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what type it is. I adopted it from my son's girlfriend.....it was looking quite limp, with a long stalk (flowers long gone) attached. I cut the stalk off, watered it. It seems to me that it might be too tight in the pot it's in.

Should I trim off the wilted looking bottom leaves or just leave them? I'd like to put it into a hanging basket, but don't know if it's the kind of orchid that does well that way. It doesn't seem to be in soil, it feels like all moss.

Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:50 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Its a phalaenopsis orchid, very common one purchased from nurseries and grocery stores. Get some orchid mix and orchid bark from your nursery and repot in a terra cotta pot that breathes. water once a week in the sink by filling the sink and setting the pot in to soak, then drain. If you drink coffee, a little diluted coffee water makes for a good fertilizer for orchids. Put in a bright window till it starts a new flower stalk and once blooming can be moved to a shadier location, but do not cut off the old stalk, I had one rebloom from the same stalk for five years.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Its a phalaenopsis orchid, very common one purchased from nurseries and grocery stores. Get some orchid mix and orchid bark from your nursery and repot in a terra cotta pot that breathes. water once a week in the sink by filling the sink and setting the pot in to soak, then drain. If you drink coffee, a little diluted coffee water makes for a good fertilizer for orchids. Put in a bright window till it starts a new flower stalk and once blooming can be moved to a shadier location, but do not cut off the old stalk, I had one rebloom from the same stalk for five years.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Well, crap. I already cut it, I never read that before, that they could re-bloom from the same stalk.

Thanks for the reply.....I assumed it was a pretty common one, she had several and this was the smallest, saddest looking one, which is why she let me take it. Heh.

So, I shouldn't put it in a basket? And what about those bottom leaves?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
Appears to have improper soil, orchid bark is need. I grow 90% of my orchids in baskets in my yard, what you have as soil is what I use in the bottom of the basket...orchids require good drainage and light, not direct sun. Have some pics posted on my profile page.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Well, crap. I already cut it, I never read that before, that they could re-bloom from the same stalk.

Thanks for the reply.....I assumed it was a pretty common one, she had several and this was the smallest, saddest looking one, which is why she let me take it. Heh.

So, I shouldn't put it in a basket? And what about those bottom leaves?
A basket is fine, just as long as it is not plastic or glazed, they like moisture, but also to dry out between waterings. Let the wilted leaves dry out before removing them, as long as they are still green, they are producing energy for the plant. My oldest phalaenopsis is from 2001 and just finished a second flush on one stalk and started blooming on its second stalk. Its the most common pink one.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I just had a brief lesson by someone in an orchid society, and also a friend who has good success at keeping them happy.
They should only be watered thoroughly once a week. Some like the 3 ice cube method. They are not grown in soil, but in a very open barky mulch type medium, so the water drains straight through. They like a lot of filtered sunlight and a bit of fertilizer every month or so.
One of my friend's orchids has the same limp leaf thing happening, and she is leaving it alone until it either dies or recovers.
Just be patient and try not to kill it with kindness.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I was thinking an open weave wire basket lined with orchid medium.

I have had it for about 2 weeks now, I've watered it twice. I soaked it thoroghly, let it drain. It's still in that awful plastic planter, I plan to re-do that this week.

I have it in my most east-facing window, out of direct sun light.

I will also let those bottom leaves die off before touching.

Thanks again!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I can only add that both my friend and my aunt with orchids have theirs in a west window, filtered by trees, etc. I really don't know if it matters. At my house the morning sun is just as strong as the west, but I don't know what plants think.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,072 times
Good advice here, except......after years of raising phalaenopsis, dendrobiums and catleyas, I've never, never used ice cubes to regulate water dispersement. It shocks the plant and orchids don't like cold. I don't even use cool tap water, but water at room temp. Or, more correctly, the air temp. of where the plants are located on my lanai.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:50 PM

The new digs. It was very tightly packed in the original planter, and the planting medium was quite damp. I put him very loosely in an orchid potting mix, lined the basket with coconut liner stuff. I misted him a little.

Won't water til next weekend now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden