U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:21 AM

27,668 posts, read 34,478,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I know, it's just January. I have to wait at least 3 more months before I plant anything. Sometimes it gets up to the 50s here during the day, but not enough for new plants to live. I usually wait until Home Depot gets new stock and then go nuts.

Am thinking of maybe trying some (more) house plants to satisfy my need to dig in the dirt. How are you doing?
It’s barely gotten cold here. I NEED more cold weather. 3 months of it would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 06:21 PM

1,697 posts, read 5,784,449 times
Such a strange January in terms of warm weather no doubt. I just noticed my Hyacinths have poked out of the soil.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM

2,763 posts, read 1,885,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm surprised this latest blast hasn't made it down to Tampa. It will be 26 in the panhandle tonight, the high is only 47 for today and tomorrow.
I’m in south Sarasota county and 36 is the low for tomorrow night before the temp heads back up. The day will just make it to 60. I have two dragonfruit I may cover and a couple of orchids I’ll put under the lanai. My mango tree has flower blossoms out. The temps head back to the 50’s overnight after that with daytime temps climbing back into the 70’s.

I’ve been harvesting Everglade tomatoes, they are smaller than cherry tomatoes, but they are about done. I’ll put new plants out in February. I have 6 Meyer lemons still ripening on our the tree, but saw new blossoms on it yesterday.

Our garden club has an annual plant sale in March and I have dozen of seeds started and most have germinated with last week’s 80 degree weather.

I garden year round.... and get to weed all year too!

Old 01-21-2020, 03:21 AM
Status: "Subtropical climates don't necessarily have 12 warm months." (set 15 days ago)

675 posts, read 152,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I know, it's just January. I have to wait at least 3 more months before I plant anything. Sometimes it gets up to the 50s here during the day, but not enough for new plants to live. I usually wait until Home Depot gets new stock and then go nuts.

Am thinking of maybe trying some (more) house plants to satisfy my need to dig in the dirt. How are you doing?
I understand how you feel. I apparently live in a similar climate to yours but lowland, far more humid (our driest months are about like your wettest) and without such a seasonal rainfall disparity. Not only are the native flora overly deciduous, people even seem to be reckless to the point of introducing foreign deciduous species over Deep South evergreen ones, caring neither about the environmental impact of invasive species nor the seasonal depression people living among themselves face.

I get really tired of those Mimosa, Crepemyrtle and Japanese Banana going dormant, and people planting Chinese Windmill Palms only for them to succumb to poor positioning, the polar vortex and/or our hot summers, when a better complement for their magnificent (not sarcastic) evergreen Southern Magnolias would be Needle Palms, Mountain Laurels, Great Rhododendron, American Hollies and Escarpment Live Oaks. If only people realized the value these species could have in landscaping (not just winter greenery but also leaf patterns, hot-weather flowers, rainforest feel with more hot-weather flowers, early winter berries and shade trees respectively) and maybe even just had better education and supply, maybe Middle Tennessee would look a whole lot greener and more diverse in winter than it currently does.

In your case, may I recommend Blue Spruce. They tolerate heat unlike most spruce, and most conifers should be planted during winter while they're not growing. Also, Blue Spruce should tolerate your drier climate with ease, given that we have to use insecticides every spring to save ours from humid-climate pests and they're native to several desert states (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and small parts of Wyoming and Idaho). They're the most drought tolerant spruce and tied with Norway Spruce for the most heat tolerant spruce; Blue Spruce can survive up to AHS Heat Zone 8 in arid climates, and Norway Spruce can up to the same zone in humid climates.

Or if you don't like conifers, you could look into Prickly Pear Cacti or certain types of yuccas. You could also use a combination of those if you want more diverse xeriscaping. However, I don't recommend warmer arid plants like Ocotillo, California Fan Palm nor Joshua Tree, as those are only technically hardy to USDA Hardiness Zone 8a and reliably hardy to 9a (Prescott is in USDA 7b). Maybe even look into native plants of the Colorado Plateau and/or Great Basin region(s) if you're not sure; both of those are cold-winter deserts and seemingly not too far from you.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:29 AM

8,959 posts, read 6,452,463 times
Compared to last year, it hasn't really gotten that cold in my area. As a matter of fact, it has been a lot warmer than I expected. Last month, it did get down into the lower 30s and rained quite a bit. Now, this month has been mostly dry except for this morning. The lows in December have been in the 30s/40s. Now, in January, the lows are in the 40s/50s. The highs of this month have been in the 60s/70s.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM

2,950 posts, read 2,553,398 times
It ain't over 'til it's over!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 AM

38,761 posts, read 47,654,719 times
32 here this morning, but the sun will quickly warm things up to mid 50s. The sedums were blooming and full of bees yesterday, so some things don’t know it’s winter. The blueberry bushes are in bloom, and the Carolina Jessamine are covered with yellow flowers. So cheery.

This week, I ordered some daylillies (evergreen, reblooming) to fill in some spots, and also a new camellia for the back yard. Not sure if they’ll arrive soon, or in a month or so.

I’m starting the Master Gardener course this week, so that should be lots of gardening fun. I’m looking forward to being with a lot of other gardeners.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 AM

2,950 posts, read 2,553,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I’m starting the Master Gardener course this week, so that should be lots of gardening fun. I’m looking forward to being with a lot of other gardeners.

Oh that should be fun! I've been thinking of doing that but prob not until next yr or so... full plate right now.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:13 AM

38,761 posts, read 47,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Oh that should be fun! I've been thinking of doing that but prob not until next yr or so... full plate right now.
Yes, I put it off last year. It’s a big obligation of volunteer hours.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:18 PM

26,948 posts, read 25,571,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, I put it off last year. It’s a big obligation of volunteer hours.
I had to drop that three times because of harsh winters and my husband and son being sick. I never did get back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or