U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
15,626 posts, read 12,537,196 times
Reputation: 11778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had to drop that three times because of harsh winters and my husband and son being sick. I never did get back to it.
I think that I am fighting off the flu right now. Hard to sleep when you can't breathe or you wake up coughing. Yes; I'm ready for Spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2020, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,761 posts, read 47,654,719 times
Reputation: 65790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I had to drop that three times because of harsh winters and my husband and son being sick. I never did get back to it.
Yes, you never know. The man in charge of it said that out of the 30 of us who start, maybe 10 will get all the way through, including the first year of volunteer hours. Life happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
12,002 posts, read 5,622,282 times
Reputation: 24733
It dropped down to 37 here in Cape Coral Wednesday morning. I had to bring in all my orchids and I put all the plants I have on the front & back lanai in the garage. I have a large Frangipani in the front and they do not like cold so I wrapped the bottom of it with towels. I put all my potted milkweed that feeds the Monarchs in the front lanai where it was slightly warmer. I brought all the caterpillars inside and they are in a mesh laundry basket. Most of them have already made their chrysalis. My potted Crocus is looking a little sad even though it was in the garage.

I picked up 3 packets of flower seeds but I won't put them in till March. Even here in Florida we can get a cold snap till then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2020, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
26,948 posts, read 25,571,925 times
Reputation: 33619
At least I don't have to weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,251 posts, read 86,628,703 times
Reputation: 44708
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
I know, it's just January. I have to wait at least 3 more months before I plant anything. Sometimes it gets up to the 50s here during the day, but not enough for new plants to live. I usually wait until Home Depot gets new stock and then go nuts.

Am thinking of maybe trying some (more) house plants to satisfy my need to dig in the dirt. How are you doing?
How about starting a seed garden inside and by the time early spring hits the plants will be ready for the outdoors. It helps to take the winter blues away. I am going to do just this in a few weeks. maybe with my daughter and granddaughters or maybe just with myself. By spring those new plants will be a nice size for the garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2020, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
74,251 posts, read 86,628,703 times
Reputation: 44708
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I have yet to have any cold weather.
You can borrow ours: we have gone from one extreme to the other the past month. One day was 66 and by the next day we had a bit of snow and 29. This week hasn't gotten out of the 30s but is trending upwards so by Mon or Tue it might hit close to 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Status: "Back in Dfa/hardiness zone 6a central Indiana" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Climate Zone Dfa/ Hardiness zone 6a, 46062
3,288 posts, read 2,183,035 times
Reputation: 1126
At least everyone outside of the subarctic Midwest isn’t as deeply rooted in this grey miserable cold weather as the Midwest is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,761 posts, read 47,654,719 times
Reputation: 65790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
At least everyone outside of the subarctic Midwest isn’t as deeply rooted in this grey miserable cold weather as the Midwest is
As a former Ohioan, I feel for everyone up north at this time of year. I remember what it’s like, with day after day of gray skies and cold air. Your pay off is in May, when everything goes fresh and green and the sun shines. A northern spring is so precious.

Here in the south, so many things do not completely freshen like deciduous plants do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Status: "Subtropical climates don't necessarily have 12 warm months." (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
675 posts, read 152,783 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a former Ohioan, I feel for everyone up north at this time of year. I remember what it’s like, with day after day of gray skies and cold air. Your pay off is in May, when everything goes fresh and green and the sun shines. A northern spring is so precious.

Here in the south, so many things do not completely freshen like deciduous plants do.
As another southerner who hates winter, I strongly agree. The Southern Magnolias, cacti, yuccas and occasional American Hollies are nice, but I wish people around here would plant Needle Palms instead of Japanese Bananas, Mountain Laurels or Wax Myrtles instead of Crepemyrtles and Great Rhododendrons instead of Azaleas. Plus, people argue that introducing foreign plants is bad yet contradict that by introducing Eurasian species over North American ones, and Escarpment Live Oak would also be a nice addition if market supply was better. Sure, henbit merely naturalized without invading, but that was not long after Columbus arrived, and I don't want to risk another Kudzu, Emerald Ash Borer or Mimosa incident...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2020, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
38,761 posts, read 47,654,719 times
Reputation: 65790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
As another southerner who hates winter, I strongly agree. The Southern Magnolias, cacti, yuccas and occasional American Hollies are nice, but I wish people around here would plant Needle Palms instead of Japanese Bananas, Mountain Laurels or Wax Myrtles instead of Crepemyrtles and Great Rhododendrons instead of Azaleas. Plus, people argue that introducing foreign plants is bad yet contradict that by introducing Eurasian species over North American ones, and Escarpment Live Oak would also be a nice addition if market supply was better. Sure, henbit merely naturalized without invading, but that was not long after Columbus arrived, and I don't want to risk another Kudzu, Emerald Ash Borer or Mimosa incident...
I planted a rhododendron, but it died. Also tried other northern favorites to no avail, like dogwood, redbud and a few others. I resisted all the ubiquitous stuff for awhile, but I got sick of everything croaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top