U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:41 PM

3,207 posts, read 1,502,051 times

Advertisements

In winter I like to work on propagating houseplants and forcing bulbs I love winter personally!

It might be 33 F here but there are plenty of plant-related things to do pretty much all year round even if I have to do them indoors from October-April, lol.

I have philodendron (red leaf) cuttings rooting, succulent cuttings rooting, snake plant cuttings, and my orchids cut back and ready to hopefully re-bloom again. My peace lilies are going crazy, shooting out big white blooms so they don't seem to mind that it's winter. I'm going to pick up some hyacinths for forcing; I absolutely love the way they smell.

I also have some Optunia spp. cacti that I want to try to root later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Status: "Subtropical climates don't necessarily have 12 warm months." (set 15 days ago)

675 posts, read 152,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I planted a rhododendron, but it died. Also tried other northern favorites to no avail, like dogwood, redbud and a few others. I resisted all the ubiquitous stuff for awhile, but I got sick of everything croaking.
What type of Rhododendron did you try? The Great Rhododendron is most common in the lowlands of the Appalachian Rainforest, which is southern. I've heard people who want a rainforest feel to their yard grow it in Memphis with at least decent success, and I've seen several people around here do the same (just not planted as often as Crepemyrtle nor Southern Magnolia).

Old 02-02-2020, 05:56 AM

38,751 posts, read 47,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
What type of Rhododendron did you try? The Great Rhododendron is most common in the lowlands of the Appalachian Rainforest, which is southern. I've heard people who want a rainforest feel to their yard grow it in Memphis with at least decent success, and I've seen several people around here do the same (just not planted as often as Crepemyrtle nor Southern Magnolia).
It was from a CT nursery, so although, on paper, it should have been fine, it wasn’t. It was an Exbury, i think. I’m always looking for a nice rhododendron at a local nursery, and if I find one I’ll try again.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:02 PM
Status: "Subtropical climates don't necessarily have 12 warm months." (set 15 days ago)

Quote:
It was from a CT nursery, so although, on paper, it should have been fine, it wasn’t. It was an Exbury, i think. I’m always looking for a nice rhododendron at a local nursery, and if I find one I’ll try again.
Good luck! I think Great Rhododendron is probably a better option for either of us than northern/montane species

Old 02-02-2020, 06:27 PM

6,322 posts, read 9,518,187 times
Am thinking of sneaking into Home Depot with a pair of scissors to cut some stems off the house plants. Would this be illegal???

Old 02-02-2020, 07:54 PM

8,448 posts, read 7,279,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Am thinking of sneaking into Home Depot with a pair of scissors to cut some stems off the house plants. Would this be illegal???

Yes, it's illegal. It's called vandalism and shoplifting.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, it's illegal. It's called vandalism and shoplifting.
Exactly.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 AM

15,625 posts, read 12,537,196 times
Quote:
I planted a rhododendron, but it died. Also tried other northern favorites to no avail, like dogwood, redbud and a few others. I resisted all the ubiquitous stuff for awhile, but I got sick of everything croaking.
Have you tried the Japanese Andromeda: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/care-a...nt-49723.html? It is one of my favorites in an area full of deer that love to eat my Rhododendron. They keep their green leaves all winter, are deer proof, and are some of the first to bloom in the Spring. Plus their new leaves also give color to any landscape. One final plus is that you can propagate them yourself and save money at the nursery.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:22 AM

18,299 posts, read 22,187,977 times
The plant that has really surprised me, that I planted 2 years ago, is my Gardenia. I thought that come winter it would have died on me, believing it to be a more delicate plant, but I was completely wrong, those plants are much hardier than I could have ever imagined. It survived a low of 25 last winter and even a light covering of snow here in Tucson, and this winter, it has also gone down to 25, and no damage whatsoever.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:39 PM

6,584 posts, read 16,569,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The plant that has really surprised me, that I planted 2 years ago, is my Gardenia. I thought that come winter it would have died on me, believing it to be a more delicate plant, but I was completely wrong, those plants are much hardier than I could have ever imagined. It survived a low of 25 last winter and even a light covering of snow here in Tucson, and this winter, it has also gone down to 25, and no damage whatsoever.
Some varieties are quite cold hardy. I'm growing a Heaven Scent gardenia in a container on my patio here in northern New Jersey. The past two winters have been quite mild here, with only a few nights dipping into the teens last winter. My gardenia has had no problem with it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or