U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 02:16 PM

6,581 posts, read 16,562,824 times

Advertisements

Lovely pics in the OP. Here in NJ, we have to find other ways to have some color in the winter garden. I have a coral bark maple, red twig dogwood, and then the mix of conifers with blues/silvers, greens, and a scots pine that turns yellow in winter, which add different colors. Also, the interesting textures on the bark of other dogwoods, lindens, oakleaf hydrangea, add some interest. My late winter bloomers, like hellebores and sweet box, look to be getting ready for an early show.

With a couple of days of temps in the 70s in January, and several days in the 50s-60s, even the lilacs and daphnes are fattening their buds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 14,984 times
Beautiful garden! It was 70+ this weekend in NE Ok so needles to say, I have a serious case of spring fever!

Old 02-04-2020, 08:10 AM

2,756 posts, read 1,880,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinetwelve29 View Post
Beautiful garden! It was 70+ this weekend in NE Ok so needles to say, I have a serious case of spring fever!
Thank you!

Before pulling the vines, I picked three, small Seminole pumpkins. I dehydrated my Thai red peppers on Sunday, the plant is done blossoming. My season is a mix of spring, summer and what seems to be fall sometimes.

This is not very colorful, but totally amazing to me. My vanilla bean orchid had flowers last year and we successfully pollinated some. We picked the beans, all seven of them, this January when they were ripe after nine months. After sweating them for 18 days, they are in the spare bedroom with the ceiling fan on for air circulation until they dry to all wrinkles and no smooth spots. Then they condition together in a plastic bag for two months. This has been so fun and educational. I’m hoping the vine blossoms again in April.

Last edited by jean_ji; 02-04-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 AM

24,792 posts, read 15,976,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Thank you!

Before pulling the vines, I picked three, small Seminole pumpkins. I dehydrated my Thai red peppers on Sunday, the plant is done blossoming. My season is a mix of spring, summer and what seems to be fall sometimes.

This is not very colorful, but totally amazing to me. My vanilla bean orchid had flowers last year and we successfully pollinated some. We picked the beans, all seven of them, this January when they were ripe after nine months. After sweating them for 18 days, they are in the spare bedroom with the ceiling fan on for air circulation until they dry to all wrinkles and no smooth spots. Then they condition together in a plastic bag for two months. This has been so fun and educational. I’m hoping the vine blossoms again in April.

Wow! You are having some serious botanical fun down there in Florida.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wow! You are having some serious botanical fun down there in Florida.

I am! I embrace what grows here and have let go of what isn’t suited for this climate. That was the hardest part for me as a gardener coming from a very different growing zone.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

16,059 posts, read 7,627,817 times
Very nice, I’m envious.

Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM

3,889 posts, read 3,402,467 times
Is that the vanilla bean used for making vanilla?

I don't quite have your climate, but my pansies are putting on a show. I'm happy with that.

Old Today, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Is that the vanilla bean used for making vanilla?

I don't quite have your climate, but my pansies are putting on a show. I'm happy with that.
It is the bean used for vanilla, there are several different types. Pansies are wonderful to have in the garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or