U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 1,880,652 times

Advertisements

I live in SWFL, zone 10a. I’ve made the adjustment from being a northern gardener to here. I picked the last of my Everglade tomatoes last week and have two Meyer lemons hanging on the tree after picking more than 70 this year and my dwarf mango is blooming. Seeing color this time of year is still a novelty after seven years.

I’m replanting my side yard with a mix of tropical and native plants. I’ve removed commonly used (and still sold by the big box stores) plants that are on the FL invasive plant list. I’ve learned so much through county extension classes, the local garden club and the regional native plant chapter. There are trade-offs. While I can garden year round, I also weed non-stop.

Left to right, top to bottom:
Bird of Paradise, Binata sundew, Oncidium Orchid
Dwarf red spicata coconut, dwarf Nom doc mai mango, Gerbera daisy
Double blue pea vine, front yard, beach or dune sunflower
Tillandsia (airplant), side yard, Everglade tomatoes

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-30-2020 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2020, 09:08 AM

2,934 posts, read 2,546,093 times
That's the only part of living in S. Fla that I could be jealous of. That year round color/veggies/fruit.
Very nice!
I do have a ton of daffodils in bloom! lol.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
That's the only part of living in S. Fla that I could be jealous of. That year round color/veggies/fruit.
Very nice!
I do have a ton of daffodils in bloom! lol.
I do miss flowers like daffodils and lilacs needing a cold cycle that they don’t get here. When I lived in NY, I used to have vivid, colorful dreams in winter about the bulbs I had planted in the fall.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:44 PM

2,040 posts, read 771,096 times
Beautiful flowers. Beautiful pictures.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:45 PM

8,435 posts, read 7,264,717 times
You have a lovely garden! Thanks for posting your pictures.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:44 PM

26,922 posts, read 25,542,223 times
All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray...

Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 PM

8,435 posts, read 7,264,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray...

Sounds like you've been California dreamin' on such a winter's day....

Old 02-01-2020, 05:44 AM

38,727 posts, read 47,617,320 times
Thank you for the pictures, OP. They are so cheery to see in the winter. I don’t have it as bad as the northerners, since I’m in zone 8. The first blossom appeared on my cherry tree a few days ago, and the blueberry bushes are in bloom.
I too, have gerbera daisies, which bloomed all winter.

I am taking the local Master Gardener class, so am learning a lot about southern gardening.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thank you for the pictures, OP. They are so cheery to see in the winter. I don’t have it as bad as the northerners, since I’m in zone 8. The first blossom appeared on my cherry tree a few days ago, and the blueberry bushes are in bloom.
I too, have gerbera daisies, which bloomed all winter.

I am taking the local Master Gardener class, so am learning a lot about southern gardening.
It’s so different living where annuals are perennials. I’ve had geraniums last several years. The Master Gardener Program is really popular here and some graduates volunteer at our library each week. That’s great that you’re taking it! My interest is in the Master Naturalist Program, which studies ocean, freshwater and upland eco-systems. I love that both programs require related community service after completing the courses.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 AM

24,792 posts, read 15,976,746 times
I am in SW Washington. We're having a mild winter so far, and I’ve already seen the first daffodils blooming. But even in a more normal, colder winter, we have heathers, camellias and pieris blooming early. I watch an early blooming rhododendron as a harbinger every spring, and that bush is almost in bloom.

My crocuses are about to bloom.

We have a winter blooming shrub here that smells powerfully sweet. I’ve never learned its name. I have two of these.

This morning I woke up to a heavy dusting of snow. This is good, I think. It should slow the early spring progression a bit. I hope it has not ruined the early rhodie though.

We could get a bad freeze this month. Early winter warming makes me uneasy. But I love spring in the PNW best of all the seasons. There is continual progression of blooms and new foliage for weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or