U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 08:58 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,647,498 times

Advertisements

Many have asked me, how does your lawn look so good it’s the envy of the neighborhood? Well, just a little bit of effort can yield huge results so it’s that time of year to start planning and getting ready...

My overall cool season lawn care program looks like this:

- Crabgrass preventer in the spring (Lesco Dimension with no fertilizer). Crabgrass typically germinates when soil temperatures reach 62 degrees Fahrenheit at a depth of 1 or 2 inches. Crabgrass preventer should be applied when soil temperatures reach 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Great website to track the soil temperature in your area: Soil Temperature Maps

- Fertilize with Milorganite (organic approach to feed the soil as synthetic only feeds the plant) or apply spring application of Orgo (1/2 -3/4”).

- 1" of rain per week (all the same time instead of spread out over several days).

- Spot treat weeds as needed (hand spray). (Gordon’s Speed Zone lawn weed killer)

- Late June for grub control and various insects, apply Bayer Advanced All Season Grub Granules.

- Cut tall fescue grasses 3-4" in height during the late spring/summer/early fall.

- Aerate in early fall and seed/starter fertilizer as needed. (never try to seed in the spring)

- Make the most synthetic fertilizer applications in the fall.

For my flowering perennials, I apply Epson salt and Jobes Organic Rose and Flower Fertilizer.

For insect control, from all my experience, Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 Insect Disease and Mite Control Concentrate, 32-Ounces is the one to get.

Read more great articles and videos:

2019 Ultimate Lawn Care Program

2018 Ultimate Lawn Care Program

2016-2017 Ultimate Lawn Care Program
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 PM

Thinking instead of Milorganite, going solely with Purely Organic Lawn Food.

Thoughts?

Old 02-04-2020, 11:32 AM

7,547 posts, read 2,037,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Thinking instead of Milorganite, going solely with Purely Organic Lawn Food.

Thoughts?
Sounds too early for Milo, TBH

Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 AM

Yes, you are correct.
at least in my area I'm not looking until the April time frame. More interested and feedback from others that have used this product last year and what they thought of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Sounds too early for Milo, TBH

Old Today, 07:25 AM

This year I am going with Sunniland 20-lb 4000-sq ft Lawn Fertilizer (0-0-0) and Purely Organic Lawn Food.

Probably alternate between the the two products.

Looking forward to see how this will compare to Milorganite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or