U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 AM

15,616 posts, read 12,525,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Next time, don't also break a mirror while shooting them.
I learned their language and I don't worry about them anymore! I just threaten them with my butt aimed in their direction and they back off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 01:06 PM

8,443 posts, read 7,267,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I had a skunk den under the feed room in my barn. I didn't mind having it around as they are kind of cute and eat mice and other pests, except I was worried I would startle it and get sprayed, and they also are known for contracting rabies in my area. Anyway, I decided it had to go. I tried mountain lion urine (got from a local plant nursery) - didn't work. Tried putting a radio with loud music out there, didn't work. Tried blocking the hole - it just dug another one. Tried an electric fence wire - just made it spray the area.

What finally did work - I got wire mesh and buried it all along the perimeter of the barn about a foot down in the ground, stapled to the foundation. I only blocked the hole when I knew the skunk had left for the evening. HOWEVER, after I did this, later the skunk came back and would not leave the area, and I started hearing little mews and squeaking coming from the den area. I did not realize there were babies in there and I had blocked the mom from being able to get to them! I felt so bad! I reopened a spot for the mom to get back in. I waited for her to leave after a week or so with her kits for good, then resealed the hole and they have not come back.

I have to admit, the babies were so cute as they would come out and follow the mom in a row like ducks do. She would take them out to hunt around dusk. If it weren't for the threat of stinkiness and rabies, I would love to have them around.
LOL !! Good for you for being observant and realizing there were babies still there. That exact situation, of the possibility of babies being there, has always been my greatest concern when blocking an area, since I once did the same thing with a family of tiny newborn raccoon kits that I hadn't known were under a garden shed and I had to take apart the blockage to let mom back in. She stayed well off to the side pacing back and forth and having a full blown hissy fit, threatening, huffing and snarling at me the entire time I was digging the hole open again and removing the wire mesh for her. She rejoined her babies immediately when it was opened up but later on that same night she relocated all of her babies. I watched from the porch as she carried them away one by one (4 of them so 4 trips) to a standby nest somewhere else, she wasn't taking any chances with me blocking it again. Which I did do a couple of days afterwards and she never came back again.

Old Today, 09:23 PM

6,850 posts, read 8,295,114 times
Thanks all for the advice. I suspect that the unseasonably warm weather we had earlier this week made this skunk think it was mating time. Since then we've had rain a few nights, a kind of snow/ice mix one night and colder temps. We haven't had to wake up to the smell of skunk permeating the entire house since I posted.

I did have some old pepper and put it around the perimeter of the porch that day. I don't know if it helped as it did rain. We also tried to disturb stuff in the area with a rake. I'm saving some citrus peels as I've also read they don't like citrus. We'll see. Our property and neighborhood is surrounded by about 100-120 acres of woods. There will be another one out there. They only dug near the house once about 15 years ago and last year. The first time it left after the babies grew and then we covered the area with chicken wire and filled it with gravel. It just left last year.

We'll dig a trench and put wire and lattice over the opening in the spring. The ground's a little to hard to dig down right now. Until then we'll keep trying deterrents.

In my state homeowners can use a trap, but the skunk can't be set free on state property. You have to find a property owner willing to let you release it. I don't know anyone that would allow that. We have about 3 acres of "lawn." We choose not to use chemicals on it for a variety of reasons. I may do some grub killer in the landscaped areas at the appropriate time of year. I do see the little holes the skunks dig there.

Mostly we just let them be, but waking up in the middle of the night because of the smell...YIKES! Opening windows to air out the house isn't easy to do in the Midwest in winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden