U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 09:18 PM

6,850 posts, read 8,297,769 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this here because I know gardeners might have some ideas about deterring skunks. If the mods decide it's more appropriate in house, that's fine.

What is the best deterrent you've used? We have a skunk that's decided to make itself at home under a porch we use frequently. We've already set up a few solar powered spot lights in the space, but I just watched the skunk go under the area. So much for the lights!

I'm seeing mixed reviews on home remedies. Anything you would recommend I buy.

I'd rather not call a trapper, but if that's the only option....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 PM

2,576 posts, read 660,599 times
Buy yourself a Havahart trap. Put an open can of cat food way in the back. Cover the trap with a towel.

The cover is to keep you safe from skunk spray. You may get other critters and can just set them free. Once you catch the skunk you can re-home it far, far away from your home. Keep the towel draped over the trap and you should be ok.

I caught and re-homed a few skunks in my time.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:35 PM

8,443 posts, read 7,267,842 times
If you don't want to try a trap there is another option which I've had success with keeping skunks, raccoons and squirrels and other rodents out of enclosed spaces - like under the porch and under garden sheds, or in tunnels dug into the ground, etc.

Finely ground dry black pepper like the cheap, poor quality stuff you can get at dollar stores. They only need to smell it or step on it once to get the message. It will make them sneeze convulsively non-stop, plus they won't want to get any stirred up pepper dust on their fur or in their eyes or mouth. Just sprinkle or blow copious amounts of the dry black pepper all over the ground of the space you want them to stay out of.

Where I live now we have a lot of squirrels digging in the gardens. I use finely ground black pepper directly on top of the soil in all the flower beds in early spring when new shoots are just starting to come up. This helps to prevent squirrels from digging up all the bulbs or from burying their nuts. The black pepper won't cause harm to the plants in the gardens.

Use only black pepper, don't use cayenne pepper because cayenne has much higher concentrations of the active ingredient Capsaicin in it than black pepper does and if cayenne gets in their eyes it can cause permanent and extremely painful damage, even blindness. The intent is just to discourage intrusive animals and keep them away, not to cause harm to them.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:45 AM

15,616 posts, read 12,525,081 times
OP you should really question whether or not you really want the skunks gone. They are removing grubs from your lawn and garden. However, if you treat your lawn and garden with something to kill the grubs; there would be no reason for skunks to hang around your property.

So you have two options: Skunks or lawn/garden treatment. I kind of like the skunks and if I talk nice to them they leave me alone! Just don't surprise them; they do not like surprises!

PS If you go the Havahart trap route; do not cover the trap until after you catch the skunk or raccoon. Anything you cover the trap with the animals will pull into the trap through the small wire squares and it is extremely hard to remove afterwards. I would simply hold an old shower curtain in front of me as I approach that trap with the skunk. Talk nice to them while doing so and stop if the tail is raised in your direction. Approach slowly.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,365,099 times
"Cover the trap with a towel".....better, use a black plastic trash bag. Put the havaheart trap in the bag, with just the trap opening showing. Once a skunk is trapped, it will retreat to the far back of the trap and hunker down...you approach from the rear, gather the bag and tie it shut, you are never exposed to any direct spray....you may get some residual tho'. Take the critter far out in the woods, standing behind the trap, open the bag, open the door and wait for the skunk to gather the courage to come out of it's dark hiding place. Unlike raccoons, skunks are timid....so be patient for it to leave the trap. Once trapped, a raccoon will go nuts trying to get out, and is likely to scratch at the bag, and drag it into the trap, a skunk will not...but there are exceptions....ask me how I know.

I had to use the shower curtain method mentioned above and approach from the rear....it almost worked.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-03-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Cover the trap with a towel".....better, use a black plastic trash bag. Put the havaheart trap in the bag, with just the trap opening showing. Once a skunk is trapped, it will retreat to the far back of the trap and hunker down...you approach from the rear, gather the bag and tie it shut, you are never exposed to any direct spray....you may get some residual tho'. Take the critter far out in the woods, standing behind the trap, open the bag, open the door and wait for the skunk to gather the courage to come out of it's dark hiding place. Unlike raccoons, skunks are timid....so be patient for it to leave the trap. Once trapped, a raccoon will go nuts trying to get out, and is likely to scratch at the bag, and drag it into the trap, a skunk will not...but there are exceptions....ask me how I know.

I had to use the shower curtain method mentioned above and approach from the rear....it almost worked.

Regards
Gemstone1
You have to learn how to read their back end! I stop when they turn their business end towards me. Skunks really do not like to spray as they are depicted in many of our video games. Spraying is a last alternative and they only will spray when they feel their lives are threatened or they are surprised. However; they do use their business end to intimidate other competitors like raccoons. They will aim and hope that the raccoons know exactly what to expect if they get too close. I have even watched as a skunk left the young raccoons come up and smell its butt. I presumed it was 'training' for the young raccoons. Skunks do not have an unlimited supply of ammunition and that is why they prefer to intimidate first and save their 'good stuff' for emergencies.

Sorry about the 'almost worked'. Practice makes perfect and you will not have to worry anybody getting too close to spread a new virus if you fail!

Old 02-03-2020, 08:01 AM

5,404 posts, read 5,399,218 times
Shawn Woods has some good advice about trapping skunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDy3TBFDImc

Old 02-03-2020, 08:02 AM

37,323 posts, read 26,835,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Buy yourself a Havahart trap. Put an open can of cat food way in the back. Cover the trap with a towel.

The cover is to keep you safe from skunk spray. You may get other critters and can just set them free. Once you catch the skunk you can re-home it far, far away from your home. Keep the towel draped over the trap and you should be ok.

I caught and re-homed a few skunks in my time.

In the vast majority of states it is illegal to move wildlife like this (without a proper permit).

Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 AM

2,363 posts, read 1,643,670 times
My .410 shotgun.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
My .410 shotgun.
The grass did not grow for seven years after I tried that solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden