Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,099,107 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've got these holes all over my yard. Mostly on the outer perimiter, under hedges or where leaves pile up. Some along garden bed edges (ornamental). These ones here are alongside the edging with mondo grass and hostas in it along a sidewalk (both of those are coming out because of deer and rabbits).
There's one more hole in this grouping just out of the shot. They're all about the same size (the bottom hole has a little grass over part of it). I have seen rabbits (cottontail), squirrels, chipmunks and deer in the yard frequently and most of the plants that the deer don't get, I guess it's the rabbits getting them... they're sawed off very neatly - almost as tho cut. I haven't been in this house terribly long so I'm working on replacing all of the landscaping bit by bit.
I could easily drop a golfball down these holes and the quarter laying there in the pic actually looks a little bigger in comparison to the holes than in actuality.
There are also quite a number of smaller holes. Possibly about the size of a nickel and so perfectly round they look as tho a tool did it. But it didn't.

What's making these holes?-rabbithole.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 07:46 AM

4,300 posts, read 2,169,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Hey all,

I've got these holes all over my yard. Mostly on the outer perimiter, under hedges or where leaves pile up. Some along garden bed edges (ornamental). These ones here are alongside the edging with mondo grass and hostas in it along a sidewalk (both of those are coming out because of deer and rabbits).
There's one more hole in this grouping just out of the shot. They're all about the same size (the bottom hole has a little grass over part of it). I have seen rabbits (cottontail), squirrels, chipmunks and deer in the yard frequently and most of the plants that the deer don't get, I guess it's the rabbits getting them... they're sawed off very neatly - almost as tho cut. I haven't been in this house terribly long so I'm working on replacing all of the landscaping bit by bit.
I could easily drop a golfball down these holes and the quarter laying there in the pic actually looks a little bigger in comparison to the holes than in actuality.
There are also quite a number of smaller holes. Possibly about the size of a nickel and so perfectly round they look as tho a tool did it. But it didn't.

Attachment 217901
Kinda hard to tell from the picture.

Are these 'burrows' (tunnel that goes down) or 'digs' (depression made to get at grubs or roots)?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 AM

13,037 posts, read 17,982,595 times
Could be a vole or a mole. Voles are usually smaller holes than moles.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:37 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,968,083 times
To me, they looks like chipmunk holes. We have a place in the country, and we've had these kind of holes, and we've seen the chipmunks.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 AM

Also, it could be yellow jacket holes. Have experience with those too. lol

Old 02-07-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Kinda hard to tell from the picture.

Are these 'burrows' (tunnel that goes down) or 'digs' (depression made to get at grubs or roots)?

Not depressions.... tunnels. or dens.. just not a depression.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Also, it could be yellow jacket holes. Have experience with those too. lol

lol.. I've got experience with those also.... these are way too big for any yellow jacket holes I've ever dealt with and.. there's probably about 20 of them around. I would have seen some yellow jackets!

Old 02-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, they looks like chipmunk holes. We have a place in the country, and we've had these kind of holes, and we've seen the chipmunks.

I have considered chipmunk holes... the only thing with that is that the chipmunks in the back that have dug in my garden and container plants and I've seen use those holes... the holes are smaller than these ones. I'm leaning toward rabbit but ... not sure on that either. All I know is there are a lot of them and what the deer aren't eating.... something else is. ugh.

Bout to have some trees with extensive root systems removed so that may shatter a few of these little eutopic homes. I hope!

Old 02-07-2020, 09:36 AM

4,975 posts, read 5,239,451 times
We had prairie dogs and ground squirrels in a previous yard. Not sure if the ground squirrels had anything to do with the making of the holes, but they sure hung out in them. I tried various things like ground pepper, jalapeno juice and used kitty litter to make them leave. They usually just covered that up and continued. The one thing that got them to leave was my two little boys peeing in their holes. I was potty training the youngest and he thought it was great fun. I solved two problems at once.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have considered chipmunk holes... the only thing with that is that the chipmunks in the back that have dug in my garden and container plants and I've seen use those holes... the holes are smaller than these ones. I'm leaning toward rabbit but ... not sure on that either. All I know is there are a lot of them and what the deer aren't eating.... something else is. ugh.

Bout to have some trees with extensive root systems removed so that may shatter a few of these little eutopic homes. I hope!

maybe gophers or groundhogs? And they are vociferous eaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden