Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2020, 07:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times

Advertisements

Last week planted about 800 Dogwood-- Japanese Maple and Paw Paw 1 yr-old seedlings in SW Washington State -Skamokawa ( lovely place) .

The seedlings are spread out over a large hilly area

Rainfall is no problem for most of the year. There have been 20" plus already this year. The next few months should be 11"- 11' and 9 inches. June and September are at just under 4" . July and August only have 2 inches each . All in all 95" annually

I live far away but plan to be there in summer for a visit.

My guestions are:

1. Would the seedlings survive without extra watering during the summer?

2. Are there creative ways of watering aside from carrying up large water jugs? I know that could easily be a day or more's work just watering. Many seedlings are off the beaten path and not accessible by vehicle.

I am reforesting a large area left barren by a large logging firm. They did replant Doug Firs but the other trees will attract wildlife.

This is a non-profit venture- (the photo had to be so cropped heavily to fit- Its one of the most scenic properties in the US.

Ideas appreciated! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Watering seedlings during the summer-22.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 09:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Wow! OMG! Be still my beating heart, I love it! You hit the jackpot for potential reforestation! What a beautiful piece of property! So much potential ! Stunning !!!

I have a lot of thoughts based on what I see but must ask questions first.

- That's a lot of seedlings you have just had planted (good for you!), so how much acreage do the present seedlings occupy on that large hilly area?

- What is total acreage of entire property including counting whatever is not pictured above or below what is pictured in the photograph?

-Re: sun exposure at that photographed site, does the downwards side of hillside going down to the water face north or south, east or west, or whatever? (This is really important.)

- What direction do the average year round prevailing winds come from relevant to the location of the property?

- In the photograph in the far right bottom corner forefront where all the rough woody and scrubby stuff remains, is that all part of the same property that has been re-planted with seedlings?

- Did you plant any kind of groundcover plants along with the seedling trees that you planted? This is important too because it is a 'must do' for the purposes of moisture retention on a cleared and re-planted hillside.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
500 acres

Not sure about the wind its different in different parts and some trees block it.

There are also approximately 300,000 Doug Firs 2 yrs old. More annoying Alders. Some mature trees riperian etc.

not much groundcover. Its 1800 miles from where I live. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Try not to be annoyed about the alders. Alders are soil stabilizers and help to retain moisture in the soil, they're excellent trees to have growing in areas that are hilly and under reforestation.

Not knowing which direction the hillside faces (north, east, south or west? you didn't say), but I'm guessing from the county location that prevailing winds come from the close by Pacific and bring Pacific moisture with them. Being so close to so much water (ocean, rivers) means there is always a lot of cool moisture in the air on the west coast even when it's not raining, often quite a bit of early morning fog going up the hillsides too.

So I'll say I think your hillside should probably do okay for moisture all year. I doubt that you will have to water the other new seedling trees at all but the pawpaws could be a problem. They might need quite a bit of additional water (at least 2 inches a week) during July and August if it turns out to be a very dry, hot summer. To be honest, due to other factors, I'd suggest you don't hold out too much hope for the pawpaws to survive because they usually don't do well on the west coast, often not ever even flowering or fruiting even if they do survive and grow tall.

Western coastal climate conditions can be kind of iffy for pawpaws, a little too cool to adjust to because it's so different from the eastern climate they are adapted to which gets more intensely hot and humid summers. The Pacific's cool, light misty moisture that drifts on the ocean breezes year round is not the same as the kind of warm, heavy, cloying humidity that happens in the east and pawpaws generally are not happy with what the west offers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden