Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 01:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

I do not have the extensive garden many of you do. I have narrow planting beds surrounding a small back yard, and small plantings in the front yard. But I have been kind of busy! We’ve had several dry days and I’ve pruned two hydrangea bushes, and weeded. I also pruned back a rose that tends to get overenthusiastic with growth.

Next to dos are pounding Jobe tree spikes around my trees and shrubs.

And I’ve got to figure out how to remove a too tall Shasta daisy that seems permanently welded to the earth.

My dogwood is loaded with buds. My violets are showing green. My heather is blooming, as are my Pieris plants. My day-lilies are up and growing. My candytuft us showing buds and will soon bloom.

This begins my favorite time of year.

What is going on in your garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 01:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I had some of those too-tall Shasta daisies too, and finally ripped them out. They were pretty blooms and made good cut flowers, but they fell down and looked messy all the time.

My daffodils are popping up but not ready to bloom yet, even the forsythia isn't blooming yet, so no color in my garden at this time. The other day, I pruned everything that needed to be pruned, deadheaded everything that needed to be deadheaded, raked up winter debris, and will pull up winter weeds soon.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Over the past few weeks, I've been taking advantage of the very warm winter and doing some sprucing up around the garden and built another raised bed.

My daffodils, hyacinths, etc. have sprouted, but flowers are still a ways off. The hellebores have started blooming. Buds are fattening up on a lot of plants and shrubs. If this winter ends the way it has been so far, I could see a very early spring and lots of flowers and color in March.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:11 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My Carolina Jessamine is in full bloom, an ornamental cherry is half out, the azaleas are starting. This winter has been mild enough that the hostas didn’t die back. The planters have hung in with geraniums and ivy, and the gerbera daisies have bloomed all winter.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:42 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
My Daffs, and tulips are peeking up already and we are getting freezing temps for a day this week so...... Funny story, the local garden group plants thousands of tulips and once they are finished blooming they have a dig day and you can dig the tulips up for free. Last year was the first time my friend and I dug. Being rookies, we had no idea how this is done. We found out when we arrived. As there are hundreds of different bulbs, many had individual bags and a marking pen so they could label them. Others had a team approach one dug and the other boxed or bagged and labels them. Not my friend and I - no we just dug and dug and dug and we each wound up with over 200 bulbs of assorted colors all in one big yard waste bag each! So, we simply decided that this year is an experiment and we will simply laugh about it. But we have yellows, reds, a dark purple and yellow with a red stripe and a red with a yellow/white stripe. We had no choice other than to await the surprise this spring. It will be difficult because by nature I am very symmetrical in my plantings!!! I keep telling her that this will be the year even the deer don't want to eat the tulips.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:46 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Daffodils up everywhere but unfortunately, so much rain and flash flooding they're getting all beaten down to the ground. I've got clusters all bloomed out everywhere but most touching the ground. Unfortunately the weather has been so warm a lot of stuff is budding out but the critters are chomping on much of it because a lot of food sources are scarce right now and it's supposed to drop back into the lower 20s in the next few days. I've got begonias with new growth, spearmint, rose bushes. Hellibores are in full bloom and looking lovely tho. Irises about half way up. I'm ripping out all the day lilies this yr. As soon as they get buds the deer chomp them down so I have to find something less appetizing to replace them. Huchera look good. I haven't been in this house terribly long tho and there are some bulbs sprouting up in places that did not last year and I don't know what they are yet. I'm new to all this gardening stuff so learning as I go along.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Our bulb flowers are starting to peek up so am guessing we will have flower in about or 4 more weeks. Our gardener will be cleaning up and doing some pruning as soon as it warms up a bit and I will start getting the veggie garden containers ready for April planting. I probably will not even start that for a few weeks or maybe even a month. Right now I am anxious to just get my seeds started in the house.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:19 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
In bloom now snowdrops and a very early bloom of blue vinca minor. Daffodils/narcissus almost ready to bloom, these are mini houseplants that get a second life in my garden.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:28 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do not have the extensive garden many of you do. I have narrow planting beds surrounding a small back yard, and small plantings in the front yard. But I have been kind of busy! We’ve had several dry days and I’ve pruned two hydrangea bushes, and weeded. I also pruned back a rose that tends to get overenthusiastic with growth.

Next to dos are pounding Jobe tree spikes around my trees and shrubs.

And I’ve got to figure out how to remove a too tall Shasta daisy that seems permanently welded to the earth.

My dogwood is loaded with buds. My violets are showing green. My heather is blooming, as are my Pieris plants. My day-lilies are up and growing. My candytuft us showing buds and will soon bloom.

This begins my favorite time of year.

What is going on in your garden?
Crocus and snowdrops, that's it. All my little bulbs are beginning to run down...time to plant more.

Zone 7A.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My Carolina Jessamine is in full bloom, an ornamental cherry is half out, the azaleas are starting. This winter has been mild enough that the hostas didn’t die back. The planters have hung in with geraniums and ivy, and the gerbera daisies have bloomed all winter.
I forgot to say that it is prime time here for removing weeds around the perennials that die back to the ground. We sprayed weed killer a few weeks ago, and now we are raking out the dead weeds, just as things like daylilies are starting to peek their leaves up. It’s also time to weed whack the liriope, because the new growth will be starting.

Around here in zone 8, Valentine’s Day is when you hard prune the roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden