U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 6,655,079 times

Advertisements

This is our third spring in this house and the daffodils that were planted here just don't produce flowers. Lots of green coming up, but only one bloom. It seems as if someone planted different varieties as the green varies, but only that one blossom. Is there anything that I can do to encourage flowers for next spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

14,244 posts, read 216,868 times
Does it get cold enough for them in your area?

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

It does - I am in Zone 7b. My neighbors have lovely daffodils! They are planted on a bank and get several hours of sun. I'm stumped.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

20,343 posts, read 9,142,051 times
I'd try fertilizing them, both now when they're up and again in late fall.

Do they need dividing?

You say your neighbors daffies are on a bank. Maybe there's a drainage issue?

And have you asked your neighbors how they take care of their daffies?

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'd try fertilizing them, both now when they're up and again in late fall.

Do they need dividing?

You say your neighbors daffies are on a bank. Maybe there's a drainage issue?

And have you asked your neighbors how they take care of their daffies?

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. My daffodils are on the sunny bank. Great soil and no drainage problems. They definitely don't need dividing because they haven't "taken off" and multiplied.

I wasn't sure about the fertilization timing, but will definitely do as you suggest - now and again in the fall (easy now when I can find them - more of a mystery as to their location in the fall!)

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

8,707 posts, read 3,177,983 times
Do you cut the leaves down after blooming? Bulbs need the leaves to draw nourishment from, and if they don't get nourishment from the leaves, they might be too weak to flower.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

20,343 posts, read 9,142,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Do you cut the leaves down after blooming? Bulbs need the leaves to draw nourishment from, and if they don't get nourishment from the leaves, they might be too weak to flower.
Yup.

After the leaves die down, they are mostly dormant. In the spring, after they flower, is when they build their bulbs and make their flower buds. The fall feeding gives them extra oomph, which is good in the long run, but for flowers next year, feeding them in the spring is a very good idea.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

8,471 posts, read 7,291,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
This is our third spring in this house and the daffodils that were planted here just don't produce flowers. Lots of green coming up, but only one bloom. It seems as if someone planted different varieties as the green varies, but only that one blossom. Is there anything that I can do to encourage flowers for next spring?

Do you mean your daffodils are producing only one bloom from each bulb or do you mean you only got one flower out of all the bulbs you planted?

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

7,088 posts, read 8,755,680 times
Are you sure they are daffodils? Tulips and some other bulbs can get chewed on by squirrels and voles. But daffodils have a toxin so they should be ok. Fertilizing should only be done after flowering time.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

3,910 posts, read 3,414,322 times
They could be planted too deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden