Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,605 times

Advertisements

I have a Blue Agapanthus that has only flowered once, the second year. It is in a pot, with lots of sun, and has grown a lot. It has only given me one flower. This is a very-beautiful plant from South Africa.

Then I have an Angel's Trumpet from Southern Brazil. It is in a pot, flowered the first year.....

I have given both plants the care they need, sun, water, good soil, big pots, and both refuse to flower.

Besides throwing them in the garbage, does anyone has any solutions? Thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 09:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
What planting zone are you in?

Maybe they need fertilizer? It's a simple old solution, but Miracle Gro works great for me.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:57 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I would say fertilizer for sure and use a liquid as opposed to a granular or slow release type. Sometimes the "kick" is missing in the others. You probably know this, but in the event you don't, both are considered poisonous so be aware in the event you have pets or kids.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:08 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have agapanthus that flower every year, and I don’t fertilize them regularly, so they must be getting what they need from the soil.

Are you leaving the leaves alone, or cutting them back? I presume the leaves are important to nourish the bulb.

Perhaps the pot is too big? Some plants like to be crowded. I would put some osmacoat granular on the soil a few times during the growing season, and hope that does the trick.

I just read an article that said to fertilize them in the fall, because it is when the flower starts to form.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I have Agapanthus in my front garden bed and it's not doing too well anymore. It bloomed great the first year but then started to look bad. I think it was getting too much water because I didn't have gutters and rain pooled in that area. I put gutters in recently and now I think they aren't getting enough water or they are getting too much Florida sun & heat. I'm ready to pull them out.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I have Agapanthus in my front garden bed and it's not doing too well anymore. It bloomed great the first year but then started to look bad. I think it was getting too much water because I didn't have gutters and rain pooled in that area. I put gutters in recently and now I think they aren't getting enough water or they are getting too much Florida sun & heat. I'm ready to pull them out.
I have a bed of them under a tree in the back yard that needs no care at all, but I just planted 3 in the front yard this year, in full sun, and I wonder how they will do. If they do not flower next year, I’m yanking them and putting them in back with the others. In both cases, the conditions are dry, except after a lot of rain, when the back yard gets standing water. I guess they like that.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What planting zone are you in?

Maybe they need fertilizer? It's a simple old solution, but Miracle Gro works great for me.
I am in zone 7. They were fertilized....

Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 PM

Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have agapanthus that flower every year, and I don’t fertilize them regularly, so they must be getting what they need from the soil.

Are you leaving the leaves alone, or cutting them back? I presume the leaves are important to nourish the bulb.

Perhaps the pot is too big? Some plants like to be crowded. I would put some osmacoat granular on the soil a few times during the growing season, and hope that does the trick.

I just read an article that said to fertilize them in the fall, because it is when the flower starts to form.

gentlehearts maybe that is it !!!!! I only fertilize them in the Spring. Where did you read that article? Would you be able to post it here? Thank you,

Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Try this information for your Angel trumpet:
TrumpetFlowers.com∼Getting Brugmansia to bloom

Old 10-15-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
gentlehearts maybe that is it !!!!! I only fertilize them in the Spring. Where did you read that article? Would you be able to post it here? Thank you,
I’ve searched high and low, but I can’t find the website. In hunting for it, it seems there are a lot of different opinions about when to fertilize.

This website seems pretty comprehensive.

https://frustratedgardener.com/2017/...thus-to-bloom/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden