U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 08:44 AM

73,069 posts, read 56,501,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Cambium

Have you read any of Ruth Stout's gardening books? She lived in CT and struggled with the weather too.
2 of her books are at archive.org can search by her name. She wrote in late 60s and 70s.
She was an early permaculturist before that name was invented. She called herself a "lazy gardener" and discovered ways to grow a veggie garden without tilling.
Never heard of her. Cool. thanks.

Cloudy and 50s today. Poor plants are outside. lol. 30s tonight with chance of snow.

Fire going inside for heat.

EDIT:::: Just looked outside. See the Tomatoes wilting? It's just dry. Needs water. Gets dry fast outside! No biggie. Water cures all.

Last edited by Cambium; 05-08-2020 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 05:23 AM

Now you see me...........

Now you don't........ Ready for the 30s.

After my post yesterday of "50s" the temp dropped and was in the 40s rest of day! Rained. 0.57" then changed to SNOW at 1am. I never saw snow falling here in May. NYC tied the record for latest snow ever fell.

Snow flakes is rare here. Here's a quick video I shot of the snowflakes falling with a Lilac

https://twitter.com/Cambium270/statu...79470348197889

That's ice on the window pane covering the Broccoli Rabe.

Soil temp this morning back down in the 40s. A full 10 degrees colder than previous 2 yrs, Nothing will be growing today.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:59 AM

8,050 posts, read 19,717,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Same plant...some are more attractive than others...they spread via seed, pots will help little.

Regards
Gemstone1
What Gemstone may not have emphasized - the dried seedpods explode when dry (many times just to the touch), making control a bit of a challenge. But, it is an easy vine to grow from seed and if you have an area requiring fast coverage, away from other gardens, they are drought tolerant, unlike many other vines. Besides being beautiful, the seeds are highly toxic to pets (besides having hallucinogenic properties). Deer love their leaves, but leave the seeds.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:09 PM

Plants are staying inside all day. Harden off process has been stopped.

Outside temp not passing 40s like its December and with strong winds there is no point putting them outside, To get used to what? December weather?

The stuff I covered survived and doing ok.

Check out these temps in Eastern U.S

Old 05-09-2020, 04:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 2,941,001 times
Snow flurries on & off for about an hour & a half in the late afternoon on Long Island.

With the Sun out all along, & along with strong winds all day.

Cambium calls it again, & protects his plantings!

Old 05-09-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Snow flurries on & off for about an hour & a half in the late afternoon on Long Island.

With the Sun out all along, & along with strong winds all day.

Cambium calls it again, & protects his plantings!
Historic day for us. Impressive because the sun is same angle as August and our normal high is 68°. And I just had a heavy snow squall stick!

https://twitter.com/Cambium270/statu...78407340359680

Night #2. Freeze warnings.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:47 AM

Soil temp going the wrong way down to 46.4° this morning May 10, 2020. JUST WOW.

A full 12-16 degrees colder than last year on this day.

In fact, we're back to levels we were at in March this yr. WTF?

Planning on transplanting my Peppers and Tomatoes next weekend but anything under 55 is just too cold!!

And yeah, we had snow here yesterday with reduced visibility. Been living near the coast all my life and NEVER had snow in May let alone start sticking. The sun is the same angle as it is in August. Just an incredible day.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:30 AM

15,442 posts, read 946,664 times
This is insane! How much longer will you be able to keep your plants inside?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
This is insane! How much longer will you be able to keep your plants inside?
Even though it hasn't been this cold since the 1950s, Luckily this time of year it warms up fast. Between sun and reaching 50s-60s the plants will eventually go outside soon. I plan on doing it this weekend.

Like I said, DONT RUSH the harden off process.

yesterday they got 2 hours of sun even though temps were in the 40s then 6hrs of shade with temps reaching 50s. They are not ready for full direct sun yet.

Everything is green and healthy because I'm not rushing the process and keeping track of how long they are out there.

Remember... they haven't had artificial light in 1.5 weeks now. Once the harden off process starts, I do not give them artificial light. Let them relax after the initial stresses of the outdoors. Even if its just 1 hour of outdoor light, put them by a door or window, they'll be fine. I don't like mixing artificial and natural light.

My favorite point is looking at the Tomatoes while they are bunched up. Looks like a jungle. Once you start planting them they look smaller and too far apart. lol

Flowers bottom of pic. Veggies up top. I'm gonna be busy next weekend. Lots of pics coming I guess.

Oh boy.... its that time of year. Get the stakes ready.

I never thought I would use one but... I used a Battery Powered Lawn mower. 56 Volts. After the backyard battery died so I had to wait to do front yard. Impressed with the machine and how it cuts. Obviously quieter. Neighbors were all looking with interest when they walked by. A little more bulky at the base but felt strong. I prefer gas powered TBH. I need that sound, strength, height adjustment, and something to last more than 30 minutes at a time.

My Lilacs are blooming even though we're having this record cold. lol

Time to enjoy the fire AGAIN!

Old 05-11-2020, 08:53 AM

Quick video I made this morning. Enjoy the sounds of nature. Rain drops and Birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArmuDcbbSwc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden