U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 01:09 PM

73,095 posts, read 56,544,043 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable. Look what I got........

HAIL! Pea Size but the plants were outside. It's never easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3B8LSS3ZY

So I had to rush to bring them in. The things better toughen up cause this is New England. We get all kinds of weather here.

What a tough time hardening off this yr again. Gees

Closeup of the stones. Would you want to take a chance damaging the young plants? Not me. Lasted 10 minutes. Mixed with rain

Last edited by Cambium; 05-11-2020 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 PM

30s again tonight...and again tomorrow night. Honestly, I'm done covering what's in the ground. I lost patience with mother nature. You win. Have at it.

Normal High is 70
Normal Low is 50

How cold has it been past 4 weeks?...click

Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 AM

May 12, 2020: Finally SUN! Woke up to 30s, warming up to only 50s today.

Today is Day #12 in the hardening off process.

They will get 4hrs of sun today and the rest of time in the shade.

It will be the 1st day outside all day for them.... unless I see wind stress....or Snow or Hail again. lol

Slow Process but there is absolutely no Sun scold or stress curl on them expect those 2 or 3 leaves I showed previously. Very happy so far.

Little peppers and bunch of flowers

I'll have an update on the flowers I planted when I transplant them... Most are doing fine. 1 box I neglected and they got damaged

Here are the Bacholore buttons

Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM

Sat down for dinner, was about to relax from a long day outside. I look at the forecast and see this for tonight. ....

I brought the Tomatoes, Peppers and Flowers inside as usual but I would be so mad if I didn't make an effort and protect the plants in the ground again. So I finished dinner and went back outside to grab the pots, window, and plastic I had put away..

I'm not covering the Broccoli Rabe Front left and the Garlic back left.

We have never had so many 30s after April 15th. Past 4 weeks have been crazy.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:05 PM

Another warning tonight. I'm done. Not gonna cover anything, this is rediculous now. A record cold 4 week period we are having

Old 05-14-2020, 05:06 AM

May 14th.......... See it?

Going to look back at this year in the future and most likely say "Wow" at the soil temps.

Not only we can't sustain mid 50s in May yet but we haven't even hit 60° soil yet this year.

#SlowPlantGrowth

Outside Temp: 36°F
Inside Temp: 59°

#HeatNeeded #FireStarted

Old 05-14-2020, 05:45 AM

8,988 posts, read 11,866,552 times
I think we are out of the cold now. That said it looks like we are in for a showery start.

Old 05-15-2020, 06:01 AM

And just like that... With a little rain and a warm night, soil temps are now warmer than last year on this day (red line) and close to 2018 (white).

Tomorrow morning we should have the warmest soil to date for this year and it will be transplant day!

Lots to transplant.

No sun scold at all. That's because I didn't rush the process. Even shade when first bringing them out can burn the young leaves. Different kind of light outside vs inside.

I started bringing them outside on May 1st then back inside after just 30 minutes. Long process but now they are ready to stay outside all day/night.

First Pepper to show. Banana Pepper.

Planted Cucumbers yesterday. I have to string up the trellis now. So nice to be back in the garden.

My compost pile. I don't smell the horse manure anymore. lol. I need more. Leaves are breaking down but slowly. Need heat and sun

Old 05-15-2020, 06:16 AM

15,454 posts, read 965,958 times
It looks like things are picking up for you Cambium! We had a devastating gully washer Wednesday night. Maybe we should try our hands at watercress instead of hot peppers.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:33 AM

Busy Day yesterday... Lets get started. 12 Pics!

May 16, 2020.

FINALLY the soil temp went above 60°F. I was at 65° yesterday morning. Got 0.10" of rain overnight and everything blew up. Rain is so Magical

You might not be able to tell with the picture but 12hrs later after some rain the lettuces got bigger. Fava Beans too but forgot to take a pic.

It's Party Time! 68 Hot Peppers. 15 Different types.

Jalapeno
Cayenne
Pusa Juwala
Orange TeaPot
Dragons Spawn
Dr Martin Carrot Red
Chinese 5 Color
Shi****o Sweet
Banana
Red Marconi
Serrano Purple
Naga Joloki
AJI Rainforest
Jimmy Nardello
Anaheim

Laying them out in each pot before putting them in. I like to put the same types next to each other.

A look at the root ball. It was definitely time. Mid May is always the safe point for us here. I started the seeds end of February. Think about this...

This plant is 2 months of growth. If I started the seeds outside in Mid May, this will be the size of the plant Mid July.
Then we would only have 2 more months of growing season.

So we definitely need the head start here.

The famous transplant complete Red Cup picture.

BTW - I retrung my cucumber trellis.

For those that don't know. I drove a 4 foot rebar 2 feet into the soil for the posts. I slipped a 1/2" EMT pipe over the rebar then used a corner piece to add the top cross bar with 1/2" emt. They are about 6 feet tall. you can make it any height you want.

Hurricanes can't take this down. And if the string is tight and strong enough you can grow pumpkins on this.

I just have to make sure any kids we have coming over doesn't kick a soccer ball into it. lol.

Eggplants are in! Wish me luck. never have luck with them in the ground. Maybe the Pots will be different.

Eggplant Roots. Ouch. Started them too early or should have potted them up. Oh well. You are in the big pots now. Enjoy.

Sweet Bell Peppers are in.. Take a look at the roots. Ouch. They were ready like 2 weeks ago. I never potted up.

12 Tomatoes are in.

Broccoli Rabe bolting? Flowering? Broccoli, Corn, Eggplant I cannot figure out.

Top View. Should be fun to see the difference 2 months from now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden