U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2020, 02:36 PM

73,141 posts, read 56,604,894 times

Advertisements

June 6, 2020. I am so excited for something!

I never grew them and they are looking so cool already!

See it? SUNFLOWERS! It's the only flower I actually prefer to grow.

Another thing I am excited to do. Keep picking lettuce everyday. Best thing I did was build this raised bed specifically for the greens.

Wash and Rinse 2-3 times

Mmmm. The Tomato is not from the garden. Nor is the onion yet or the croutons. lol. The Basil is though.

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 05:53 AM

Sunday June 7, 2020 Update: Had 1 inch of rain this past week. Temps were all over the place with daytime in the 60s, 70s, and 2 days in the 80s.

See anything?

How about now? Probably waiting for me to leave to get my lettuce.

Peekaboo

String beans in the back.
From left to right, Fava beans, Potatoes and Surprise. I bet you still can't figure it out but will start to have an idea.

Still waiting for the pods on my Fava beans

Soil temp fluctuating from 67-71 is not enough for cucumbers. Still small

Bell Peppers like warm soil too so they are growing slow

Tomato heights range from 12" to 18".
I have started to pinch off the lower branches because I don't want them hitting the dirt.
I will be spraying them with 6-8 tablespoons or 3-4 ounces of h202 per gallon of wate

Weeds in my onions (and everywhere on property).

No weeds now. I hand picked each one around the onions and scraped the pathway and wider areas between. Onions do not like weeds growing near them.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:23 AM

15,478 posts, read 989,415 times
You advanced to Calla lilies!

Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM
Status: "It puts the mask on its skin or else it gets Phase 1 again" (set 21 hours ago)

13,287 posts, read 16,653,347 times
Looks lush!! Do I see radishes poking about?

Old 06-10-2020, 04:15 AM

June 10, 2020:

Warmest soil temp of 2020 thanks to the 86°F yesterday and the warm 60s overnight.

71.6° in ground.

73.4° in the pots.

Peppers loving the heat and the sun lately! You can easily tell when walking up to them

Fava Beans finally! Better than String Beans. Mmmm

Getting tired of weeds everywhere. So annoying. I carefully sprayed some "spots" with vinegar but just too close to the garden so I didn't go crazy.

See the cardboard? Best & safest solution

I put the cardboard under the pepper plants for now. Might do under the pavers too. Done. No more weeds will grow here this season. .

Old 06-10-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You advanced to Calla lilies!
Ha. Give it a chance, they probably wont make it past summer. I have been watering everyday now but have no idea if sun is no good or too much water or need fertilizer, ect. I don't have time to learn about flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Looks lush!! Do I see radishes poking about?
Yup. Radishes. I actually plant them near the cucumbers because they deter beetles.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:41 AM

Flashback to 2016 for a look at how the Cardboard worked. (thanks to my threads I can look back on easily)

I think the trick is not to do it too early. By August it broke down enough for weeds to overtake it. But was a nice 4 months of free blocking.

If you start in April or May then you'll be good through September/October and by that time weeds aren't active anymore with winter around the corner. By Spring you wont even know where the cardboard is as it will have broken down enough.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 PM

7,854 posts, read 13,769,707 times
Cambium, I'm in awe of you (that happens every year you post your veggie garden threads!).

But I can't hear or read "fava beans" without thinking of The Silence of the Lambs.

Oh, but those greens you've shown up -- must be wonderful to pick your own lettuce then make a wonderful salad!

I have GOT to do a veggie garden next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing all this with us! (Now if only you could LITERALLY share your lettuce with me, LOL!!)

Old 06-14-2020, 08:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 422,113 times
I see a bell pepper already? Wow. Looking good!

Old 06-15-2020, 05:05 AM

Update: June 15, 2020. In the Mist of the Corona Virus and Now a Possible Drought? Only 0.04" of rain in past 10 days. Only 1" this month so far.

A definite pattern change to a dry one and not hot which is good for me, not for garden.

1st lets start with my shaded compost pile. Temps haven't been hot and the sun doesn't hit this yet its breaking down. I would like to see it heat up though. Still have all summer.
Leaves, Kitchen Scrap, Grass clippings, and Horse Manure.

What it looked like back in November

Spoiler

Petunia's

Morning Glory

Little Green Tomatoes

Nice and green but with temps dropping in the 50s they are slow to grow

I've been pulling my Wild Vilot weed from the lawn. About 20 minutes a day when its not humid... It does work. Last years pull didn't come back. Check out the roots! Crazy!

Eggplants need heat. only 1 of them doing good. I feel lucky. lol

Same Hot Pepper plant. The one on the right I cut the top off 2 months ago. The one on the left I didn't. Can you tell a difference?

Sad looking Bell Pepper plants. I have to find time to address it. Just not enough warm temps for them I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, I'm in awe of you (that happens every year you post your veggie garden threads!).

But I can't hear or read "fava beans" without thinking of The Silence of the Lambs.

Oh, but those greens you've shown up -- must be wonderful to pick your own lettuce then make a wonderful salad!

I have GOT to do a veggie garden next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing all this with us! (Now if only you could LITERALLY share your lettuce with me, LOL!!)

Awww, thanks! I appreciate that each time. I find what I post is repetitious in some ways but its like a diary I can look back on while hopefully helping others with some stuff along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I see a bell pepper already? Wow. Looking good!
Yeah, but unfortunately the plant is not doing great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden