U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 05:26 AM

73,174 posts, read 56,634,973 times

Advertisements

Almost forgot to do my weekly update! Loaded with pics today!

June 22, 2020

The weather:
No heat waves yet thankfully but with only 1" of rain this month and less than 2" past 5 weeks things have been VERY dry. Past few days has gotten hot and humid.

The Plants:

My Sunflower was getting eaten at the bottom and the leaves were drooping so I knew I had to rescue it fast!

Ended up putting the green tape used to tie plants up as a Band-Aid.. We'll see what happens.

I ended up putting pipe insulation on the rest. lol.

I never grown them, always liked them, and now I am fascinated. Check out the size of the leaf!

Fig Tree. No figs yet. This thing never dies. I love figs but hate the roots its puts out everywhere

Lots of Fava Beans to harvest

Pepper plants are doing so well. Leaves all green. I have to thank the hydrogen peroxide mix I sprayed on June 7th.

Bell Peppers look like they are coming back to life but still not looking too great. Either I fertilized too much or the soil just wasn't warming up enough. Or maybe shaded by the pots too much. Eggplants once again problems. I'm gonna give up on them. Pointless after years of failing.

Never had tomato plants without spots on some leaves. So green and producing blooms. Hydrogen peroxide was sprayed on them too. The dry weather definitely helps too.

My Soil temps: Green line is this year... Soil now warmest of the year and you'll see that the cucumbers are finally having a growth surge.

Did this 2 days ago... See it? Cucumbers just love 70+ soil temps. Amazing growth just in past 7 days

Closer look from today. I sprayed these with Canola Oil, dishsoap mix back on June 3rd when I was seeing spots on the seedlings. I thought was going to be a bad year. Now I have to get the Jars ready soon.

I'll do a colorful post next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 05:30 AM

1st time growing flowers. Don't care much to use my time and energy on them to be honest BUT free flowers from seeds that gives us color is always a plus in my books.

I'll try to remember to grow Petunias each year since they seem easy and produce.

The others aren't producing. Here's the bachelor buttons. No idea

The 4 O clocks aren't doing anything but aren't dying either.

Lastly.. A picture I took from near here in Connecticut to cool us off with this summer heat..

Old 06-22-2020, 06:03 AM

8,062 posts, read 19,759,010 times
Beautiful. Don't think I remember seeing a sea that blue on the east coast north of the Virginia coastline.

Old 06-22-2020, 04:59 PM

7,859 posts, read 13,778,964 times
Cambium, loved the update (and the flower pictures!). Looks like most of your veggies are doing well. Are eggplants just hard to grow?

Old 06-22-2020, 06:20 PM

9,083 posts, read 11,919,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Beautiful. Don't think I remember seeing a sea that blue on the east coast north of the Virginia coastline.
No doubt a reflection from the sky. Lived on Long Island across the water and never saw water that color either.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cambium, loved the update (and the flower pictures!). Looks like most of your veggies are doing well. Are eggplants just hard to grow?

For me they are. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
No doubt a reflection from the sky. Lived on Long Island across the water and never saw water that color either.

Reflection helped a lot as far as the color.

Here's the water from Milford, CT on a cloudy day.. More like it? lol

Same spot from further back and a typical calm sound.

Last one.. I never saw the salty always moving Long island sound freezing over until February 2015. It was surreal to see.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:09 AM

Wanted to point this very important observation out.

June 22, 2020:
7am soil temps 4" deep
Ground: 75°
Pots: 74.3°

2pm
Ground: 84.7°
Pots: 93.5°

This is why you have to watch the plants in pots more. Soil dries out and gets super hot during the day and can kill plants. Air temp was only in the mid 80s but with sun. The temperature wasn't because of the sun, the soil was that high.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:37 AM

June 24, 2020 Harvest.

Kinda funny that its almost July and this is all I am harvesting. Short season here.

Fava Beans, Radish, Swiss Chard

Closeup of the Radish. Many of them cracked but that's ok. I like to grow them because they deter cucumber beetles.

Can't wait! These are Rapunzels

Jet Star

WOW!

This image explains what's been happening here. They are going to start water restrictions soon. Less than 2" of rain since mid May! Only 1" this month. Only 0.04" in past 3 weeks.

Look what is on top of my compost pile at 2am. I guess the fence didn't stop them from getting in. lol

Last edited by Cambium; 06-25-2020 at 04:58 AM..

Old 06-25-2020, 05:02 AM

See it? People wonder why I have no fencing around my garden beds and don't lose crops. lol Maybe it's a trust thing?

Old 06-25-2020, 06:09 AM

9,083 posts, read 11,919,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
June 24, 2020 Harvest.

Kinda funny that its almost July and this is all I am harvesting. Short season here.

Fava Beans, Radish, Swiss Chard

Closeup of the Radish. Many of them cracked but that's ok. I like to grow them because they deter cucumber beetles.

Can't wait! These are Rapunzels

Jet Star

WOW!

This image explains what's been happening here. They are going to start water restrictions soon. Less than 2" of rain since mid May! Only 1" this month. Only 0.04" in past 3 weeks.

Look what is on top of my compost pile at 2am. I guess the fence didn't stop them from getting in. lol

C'mon fess up you are growing those things now aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden