U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 04:31 AM

74,086 posts, read 57,451,608 times

Advertisements

Frosty morning again...

Can't plant anything yet.

And to top it off....... Just cant win. Freeze Warnings. Past 7yrs March and April has been very frustrating with cold and snow. More snow in March than February and warmer in March than April. NYC hasn't seen 70F this month and that hasn't happened since 1940. Before that was 1800s!

Put the bird feeder out. Had to snap a pic from inside.. Blue Jays, Cardinals, Chickpees all came, then the chipmonks and squirrels found it and I had to take it away.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 04:50 AM

What I was doing yesterday.... (Sorry, no commentary in video, lol). Really is nice to be outside and playing with soil. Just wish it was warmer than 40s and 50s. I don't want 80s and humidity either and that's coming in a few short weeks. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuA6m6zJiE

Old 04-21-2020, 03:46 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,070,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
... Thanks! yeah, the stay at home thing is bringing out some good in us. Glad to hear you are doing it again. yeah, soil temps are not idea for the usual crops. Even the cool season crops are slow to grow out there. Heads up, another cold blast coming in 3 days ...
WoW were you right or what?

Pretty wild weather conditions around here today! Glad I listened to you.

Also glad you're in a more "flowery mood" this season, that's more than alright in my book!

Also glad you're in the mood to share your nature stories, including photos & videos, that's right up my alley too, particularly considering the 'working ( & nesting @ home' for me. Did I tell you I really like this 'working @ home' schtick?

Many thanks, much respect, greatly appreciate what you do here!

Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 PM

9 Days until May and I'm covering cool weather crop.
Broccoli Rabe and Lettuce seedlings still small, just sprouted. I left the Fave Beans uncovered. Wish me luck.

Freeze tonight. Already in the 30s at 11pm

Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 AM

Woke up this morning to this.........

ICE. Feels like 24° with the wind outside.

Soil temp....... 43.1°F (6C). Mid March levels. Coldest soil in years for this time of year

Old 04-22-2020, 12:28 PM

16,027 posts, read 1,319,310 times
Oh no! What will you be able to salvage?
Our little garden just got "unplanted" by a freak hail storm. Birds are back

Old 04-24-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Oh no! What will you be able to salvage?
Our little garden just got "unplanted" by a freak hail storm. Birds are back
Everything survived. Dropped to 31°. Then the day didn't pass 40s. How is the soil supposed to warm up?

Now today its cloudy and rainy with temps staying under 50F again. Crazy cold. Normal is low 60s.

===================

BTW -- I am seeing some fruit flys, maybe fungus gnats inside around my plants. So I mixed 1/2 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide and 2 cups of water into a spray bottle and sprayed the plants and sprayed on top of the soil. I was scared to soak them. This was Wednesday.

Happy to report I don't see any more gnats now!

I HATE this new potting mix I used for indoors. NEVER use compost or coco coir inside, fungus can grow easier in it.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:44 PM

40,265 posts, read 49,776,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
4/20/20

I have to share this........

My Tomatoes are getting too tall. Even though I can "trench" them outside, that's in 3 weeks from now and they are out growing the shelf they are on. So......... I chopped the top off a couple of them. I want to see if:
1. It will thicken the stem
2. If it grows new shoots

So while I am picking which ones, I notice something..........

See anything?

How about now? Don't be mad.......... I chopped off those blossoms in hopes the plant will get thicker and be healthier. Too soon for flowers anyway. I wonder if the MG fert is the reason.

In this picture you can also clearly see the "hairs" of a tomato plant. ALL of them will turn into roots if they are in soil. This is why you can bury tomato plants as deep as you want.

Im always nervous doing it. Lets see what happens. Scared to go lower. Don't wanna chop more than 1/4 of it.

BTW...... I usually see squirrels in my oak tree eating acorns...not in spring eating the buds and twigs.

Thanks for the pruning

Early bird gets the worm. Cloudy morning. What else is new. Miserable but at least the birds are out.

I’ve always lived companionably with squirrels, both in the north and the south. Now, I’m in a master gardener class and squirrels are thought of about as fondly as rats. They advise high velocity lead as a remedy.
The squirrels in my yard don’t cause a problem at all.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:47 PM

9,893 posts, read 3,070,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve always lived companionably with squirrels, both in the north and the south. Now, I’m in a master gardener class and squirrels are thought of about as fondly as rats. They advise high velocity lead as a remedy.
The squirrels in my yard don’t cause a problem at all.
Y'gotta love those squirrels. I mean, they're bright, creative, lighting-quick, & let's face it, they're def gonna outlive humanity.

Love those rascals, last year, around this time, I left some whole apples out because we weren't gonna eat them ~ they were moushaaad.

Next thing, saw a squirrel running along the top of my fence with the whole apple in its mouth! Hah! He had the whole apple in his mouth!

Old 04-25-2020, 05:18 AM

Good News and Annoying News..

1st the Good news.......

Peppers are blooming inside. I guess that's not so much good news. Way too early. Only 42° outside. Still got 3 weeks left inside.

Tomatoes looking like a jungle now.

The annoying News............ On this April 25th day the previous 2 yrs had a soil temp of 60°. This morning its only 45.5°. The soil is still so cold!

The sun is out this morning. Allelujah!!! Only 14 hrs of sun in the past 5 days. Repeat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden