U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 06:29 AM

8,936 posts, read 11,836,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve always lived companionably with squirrels, both in the north and the south. Now, I’m in a master gardener class and squirrels are thought of about as fondly as rats. They advise high velocity lead as a remedy.
The squirrels in my yard don’t cause a problem at all.
When we lived in NY our breakfast room looked out into the back yard and I had a few bird feeders and was religiously filling them. I saw the squirrel literally flying off the tree branch and flying on to the feeder pole and them climbing up to get the feeder. I took WD-40 and sprayed it on the pole and watched as they flew and slid down the pole. It was very funny, and they did give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 06:17 AM

73,060 posts, read 56,477,410 times
So ridiculous

Soil temp down to 47.4° this morning.
Struggling to stay in the 50s.
25 hrs of sun in past 7 days.

Only good thing for the garden I guess is the 4.47" rain this month.

My Max Air Temperature Outside: (Normal is Mid 60s)

April 16: 47°F
April 17: 49°
April 18: 43°
April 19: 59°
April 20: 56°
April 21: 51°
April 22: 50°
April 23: 49°
April 24: 48°
April 25: 65°
April 26: 48°

Old 04-27-2020, 11:55 AM

15,423 posts, read 936,086 times
Hang in there Cambium! SO got his tomatoes planted yesterday. He refuses to eat tomatoes but faithfully plants and tends them every year. And he improved his trellis system. It now comes with an attached salt shaker for me.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Hang in there Cambium! SO got his tomatoes planted yesterday. He refuses to eat tomatoes but faithfully plants and tends them every year. And he improved his trellis system. It now comes with an attached salt shaker for me.
Thanks. Lol, your SO sounds like me for the most part. Plant. Take care, but not cook with.

Btw... 40s max temp again today. So cold. And tonight....

It's the 3rd coldest 2nd half of April since 1980s here

Old 04-28-2020, 05:15 AM

Soil Temp Update April 28, 2020. It actually dropped again. 46.5°.

Even the cold year of 2018 was steady in the 50s by now. Warmest was 53.8° back on April 8th. Fava Beans in pic.

In fact.... The soil temp on January 12th was warmer than todays.

Welcome to the Tomato Jungle

Top View

Didn't know Basil has roots like this already.

Split a couple of them apart

Put in another pot.

Lemon Balm and Spearmint. Mmmmm. I scratch and sniff every morning. lol

Started fire because it's been the coldest 2nd half of April since the 1960s!

Last edited by Cambium; 04-28-2020 at 05:46 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 05:46 AM

1,273 posts, read 761,756 times
Hard to believe we live in the same country.

My area has seen a mild winter and temps regularly hitting 80s since the start of the month. Been harvesting and enjoying cherry and slicing tomatoes, radishes, chocolate bell peppers, various Mediterranean and Asian herbs including out of control basil, and I’ve run out of room to stick my splits of lemongrass stalks.

Cucumbers and Japanese eggplants are bearing fruit already. Long beans starting to take off but still all leaves. All started from seed.

But most will become dormant and stunted by midsummer heat here, just as y’all’s will be taking off, so it all balances out I guess.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:07 AM

** Topping Off Results **

In a pruning mood this morning.... Since there's still 2 weeks before they can go outside.

Ouch. Always so scary.

Tomato chopped.

Pepper bloom? Sorry. I did leave a few others.

Couple more pepper plants... Looks so sad now...

On April 13th I chopped the top of a pepper plant to test....... Check out the result! See all the new growth??

Compare it to the same type of pepper plant that didn't get chopped. Obviously the non chopped one is taller but the chopped one has more leaves and bottom stem is thickening up. It does work! I think the key for an area with short seasons is to do it early.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Hard to believe we live in the same country.

My area has seen a mild winter and temps regularly hitting 80s since the start of the month. Been harvesting and enjoying cherry and slicing tomatoes, radishes, chocolate bell peppers, various Mediterranean and Asian herbs including out of control basil, and I’ve run out of room to stick my splits of lemongrass stalks.

Cucumbers and Japanese eggplants are bearing fruit already. Long beans starting to take off but still all leaves. All started from seed.

But most will become dormant and stunted by midsummer heat here, just as y’all’s will be taking off, so it all balances out I guess.
Yup, its a big country when it comes to different climates. Even the small state of CT has its own microclimates within. To a smaller scale of course but 10 minutes from me sees more snow in winter and gets hotter in summer at times. It can be a full 5 degree difference and that makes a huge difference with freezes and heat waves. I was talking to someone from Georgia and he said his soil temps were in the 60s this month. I kinda assumed it would be down south though.

Your lemon grass stalks sound interesting. I don't think I ever heard about them.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:29 AM

1,273 posts, read 761,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, its a big country when it comes to different climates. Even the small state of CT has its own microclimates within. To a smaller scale of course but 10 minutes from me sees more snow in winter and gets hotter in summer at times. It can be a full 5 degree difference and that makes a huge difference with freezes and heat waves. I was talking to someone from Georgia and he said his soil temps were in the 60s this month. I kinda assumed it would be down south though.

Your lemon grass stalks sound interesting. I don't think I ever heard about them.
Is it too late to get a few cool weather plants in? My broccoli, lettuce and brussel sprouts were a bust this year due to warm winter and late planting considering such. I think from now on out I’m going to have a variety cool and warm plants ready to go for whatever the season brings.

Lemongrass is a key ingredient in many SE Asian cuisines, and can be used for teas, fragrance, and are great ornamental grasses. It may also be a possible pest-discouraging co-plant. Mine is 4 feet tall just grown in planters.

Btw, just returned from watering my plants and already sweating like crazy. I’d kill for your cozy log fire, knowing what the coming months will bring here heat-wise.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:58 AM

15,423 posts, read 936,086 times
Cambium - please let some of your Lemon Balm grow out and flower. Bees and Humming Birds will love you for it. Do not let it go to seed! Cut it like flowers and use as air freshener in the house. Every time you brush it it wil release lemony oils.

Get a bundle of Lemon Grass at the grocery store. Set it in water, change the water regularly. In 2-3 weeks you will see roots. It has saw teeth like Pampas Grass! Use the stalks for skewers - works great with chicken or shrimp. I used to cut mine, roll it up and keep it in a nylon stocking. The lemony fragrance will last all winter and the stocking keeps crumbs contained and fingers from getting cut. Our cats went crazy over it which ended with injuries so no more in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden