U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 05:50 AM

73,097 posts, read 56,552,406 times

Advertisements

May 1, 2020.

Nothing new here. Another fire needed. Coldest 2nd half of April since 1800s. Max temp for entire month was only 65°. In Boston their warmest day since the first week of October is still January 12th (74F).

Only 35 hours of sun in last 12 days. Think about that.

I planted my Morning Glories outside in these pots. And temps decided to drop into upper 30s so had to cover them.

The good news is, rain warms up the soil. It's interesting to see. This morning I'm at the warmest of the year 54.8° after 3/4" of rain fell.

Take advantage of the cloudy day....It's time for a taste of reality. I decided to bring the Tomatoes outside for 30 minutes only. That's it! Each day add 30 minutes. On the 7th day add sunlight for 30 minutes then gradually increase those minutes in the sun. By Mid May they'll be ready to go in ground.

Greens planted mid April... Not much growth here. And to think we'll be in the 80s soon is frustrating for cool weather crops. Not enough time

Outgrowing the shelves now. I do this each year. Either I have to wait a week to seed or expand my shelving setup and add more height

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 07:50 AM

May 1, 2020.

Might as well take advantage of this again.. 50s outside so not that bad.

Rolled the cart from Living room to here. No more wood stove for them. No more fake lights.

Day #1. (2 for Tomatoes but I'll keep it simple and say today is Day #1)
30 minutes only. No sun, No Wind. PERFECT for this process.

I could of rolled the cart out but hey.... its not a lot of boxes. :-)

Bell Peppers and Eggplants

Tomatoes

Like I said... I never grew flowers before. Does it show? lol.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 2,945,556 times
Everything looks great! I think the weather is starting to spring up. Today, late afternoon became ridiculously nice out, after a not cold but grey-ish day.

Are those morning glories? I started some from seed indoors & they look like that ~ from what I understand they're climbers & viners ~ I have to think about where to plant so they can wander up something. Where are you gonna plant yours?

Old 05-02-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think the weather is starting to spring up.

May 10th is worrying me. Freezes and Frost very likely with another record cold airmass coming..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are those morning glories? I started some from seed indoors & they look like that ~ from what I understand they're climbers & viners ~ I have to think about where to plant so they can wander up something. Where are you gonna plant yours?

Yup, they are. I will have them in a pot with some sticks. If you scroll up and look at the pots with the Box and Newspapers, I put them in there. Hopefully they climb the porch posts.

I just don't know how to care for them. Do they harden off the same way? Tolerate 40s ok? Need fertilizer? Pruned? ect.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:48 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,580,793 times
After intentionally planting morning glory, you might want to read this article.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 10th is worrying me. Freezes and Frost very likely with another record cold airmass coming..
That is worrying! Although you seem to have a plan to protect & are very organized & careful, your gardens will fare well imho.

Quote:
Yup, they are. I will have them in a pot with some sticks. If you scroll up and look at the pots with the Box and Newspapers, I put them in there. Hopefully they climb the porch posts.

I just don't know how to care for them. Do they harden off the same way? Tolerate 40s ok? Need fertilizer? Pruned? ect.
I think they'd look very nice climbing up the porch posts, what color flowers? Mine are heavenly blue or cosmic blue or some kindof blue, I like all colors in the garden but I already have a lot in the blue & purple family.

Personally, I dunno too much about morning glories? & these I started from seed indoors so not sure about caring for them. What I usually do is attempt to be a good caretaker; for established plantings, I observe & learn. For new plantings, I try to think 'location, location, location' & will keep in pots until I'm relatively sure the chosen place is good for their needs. I read about the plant also to get foundational knowledge.

Mostly I enjoy being around & watching them grow.

I think yours will likely be gorgeous much like your vegetable gardens.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
After intentionally planting morning glory, you might want to read this article.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Good to know. Here's some other interesting bits about the morning glories:

AN ICON FOR ARTISTS AND WRITERS

Quote:
The image of the morning glory is represented in famous works of painting and sculpture across the world by Georgia O’Keeffe, Sopheap Pich, Suzuki Kiitsu, and others. It is also a regular reference in poetry, literature, and folklore.

... Christian tradition suggests the short life of a morning glory flower represents the finite amount of time we have in the world, and in Victorian times the morning glory stood for a love that never ends… or one that goes unrequited, often decorating headstones.

Man, this flower has some bittersweet themes going on, huh?

Don’t worry, Walt Whitman says, “A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books,” and philosopher Alan Watts opines, “The morning glory which blooms for an hour differs not at heart from a giant pine that lives for a thousand years.”

That lightens things up a bit.
https://gardenerspath.com/plants/flo...ts-and-Writers

Old 05-03-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Thanks, but I'm planting them in pots not the lawn or ground anywhere although I did consider that. Wonder if the plant is different from the weed

Old 05-03-2020, 05:27 AM

Didn't take long for the soil temps to get into the upper 50s. 58.1°F this morning, warmest of the year.
It won't last and it'll be interesting to see where they are next weekend.

In 2018 we were in the 60s by now after a big warmup.

Beautiful warm dry sunny day yesterday. Hardened off plants for 1 hour. The tomatoes in the cups dried out FAST with the breeze. I had to water them and bring them inside to recover.

Today they'll be out for 1.5hrs...maybe 2.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:53 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,580,793 times
Quote:
Thanks, but I'm planting them in pots not the lawn or ground anywhere although I did consider that. Wonder if the plant is different from the weed
Same plant...some are more attractive than others...they spread via seed, pots will help little.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden