U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM

73,060 posts, read 56,477,410 times

Advertisements

I found myself looking back at my garden "diary" (old threads) so I decided to do it again after skipping 2017 and 2019.

As always, I enjoy interacting with all of you and looking back at my updates and challenges.

Here are the previous threads for reference..

My Garden Pics 2012

My Garden Pics 2013

My Garden Pics 2014

My Garden Pics 2015

My Garden Pics 2016

My Garden Pics 2018

Let the new season begin.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM

It's that time of year... Going through my inventory.
In those envelops are free seeds I got sent to me from other gardeners/farmers.

What is Cambium up to now?

I'm adding another raised bed..

Excited! I will be planting all kinds of Greens in here. I'll be adding leaves, compost, peat moss, and soil in here soon

Old 02-22-2020, 12:26 PM

15,422 posts, read 936,086 times
I envy you for the space you have. We have celery parsley coming up everywhere.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 9,768,520 times
Cambium: Do you use that saw by yourself? I would be scared to death. I saw my boards the old fashioned way and it takes forever. Just bought a reciprocating saw so it might help a little. BTW: what do you use to fasten the raised boards on the ends? Must be some kind of hardware? Would love to see a pic so I would know what to buy. TIA

Old 02-23-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I envy you for the space you have. We have celery parsley coming up everywhere.
Thanks, meanwhile I envy those who have more space than me. lol. I never did celery before. Herbs I do in pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Cambium: Do you use that saw by yourself? I would be scared to death. I saw my boards the old fashioned way and it takes forever. Just bought a reciprocating saw so it might help a little. BTW: what do you use to fasten the raised boards on the ends? Must be some kind of hardware? Would love to see a pic so I would know what to buy. TIA
A circular or table saw would be best.. Or jigsaw would work too but vibrate a lot.

I used these things. 4 of them. 98 cents each. 1 for each corner. I overlapped them to catch both top bottom pieces.

You can use these too but you would need more of them.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:57 AM

75,828 posts, read 88,700,431 times
Always love your posts and pictures. This year, due to mobility and a few other issues I have to cut way back but will still have my herbs, tomatoes, radishes and maybe a few pepper plants. I can assure you my gardent doesn't look like yours.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Always love your posts and pictures. This year, due to mobility and a few other issues I have to cut way back but will still have my herbs, tomatoes, radishes and maybe a few pepper plants. I can assure you my gardent doesn't look like yours.
Thanks! Sorry to hear about the issues, hopefully you get better in time to enjoy it more.

I been trying to "keep things simple" and do less each year but I always find myself wanting to learn and do more. Something about gardening that is good for the soul.

Speaking of 1st times...... Boiling the soil to kill off any bacteria and bugs. I never did this before.

Put some soil in a 5 gallon bucket.
Add boiling water.
Stir.
Pat down on top so the heat stays below it.
Let it sit and cool down for some time.
Add soil to trays.

Hopefully I'll be doing my pepper seeds today if I have a chance.
Will post a pic (as usual, lol)

Old 02-23-2020, 06:03 AM

8,932 posts, read 11,836,549 times
Framing angle .......pure genius. Never would have thought of that one. I am getting the itch but, since all mind is out doors I wlll have to hold off.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:31 AM

21,028 posts, read 9,657,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

A circular or table saw would be best.. Or jigsaw would work too but vibrate a lot.

A woodworking friend who cares about my safety told me that the chop saw you are using is safer than a table saw for a non-proficient woodworker.

I've used both circular saws and jigsaws, and find it difficult to get a truly straight line with either. With a chop saw, getting that straight, even cut is easier.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:50 AM

March 4, 2020. Still too early to plant anything. We still get freezes here in April.

Whats weird is our last frost is end of April/Early May yet just 4 weeks later the summer humidity and heat come in. It's like we have very short window for cool weather crops between frost and heat

Anyway ...

Guess what I did with these leaves I pulled out from the Hollys?

Right into the raised bed I built.

My neighbor was nice enough to let me take some of his old composted leaves... I filled 2 barrels...
Guess what I'm going to be doing with it?

Right into the raised bed. Look at that soil! Black Gold right there. I'll be testing it to see if I need to add anything to it.

The leaves underneath will break down so each year I'll add more compost.

Peppers have been started. I'm excited for this new season!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden