Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 12:49 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times

Advertisements

Last year I ordered a number of bulbs from John Scheepers (the first time I have used them, rather than Brent & Becky's who are usually somewhat more expensive): snowdrops (Galanthus elwesii), two white narcissus varieties, Hyacinthoides 'White City', Anemone blanda, and also some winter aconite (Eranthis hyemalis.)

I have had a patch of the winter aconite in another part of the garden for the past four years, and they have flowered reliably in late February. The Scheepers tubers were planted in different locations but in the same type of soil and actually in a part of the garden that gets more hours of sun (afternoon, rather than just a few hours in the morning) than the other aconite patch does.

My "veteran" winter aconites have been flowering for the past two weeks, at least ... but there is as yet no sign whatsoever of any of the Scheepers groups emerging. Are they merely late because they are "new" plantings? If there is no sign of them by mid March, does that mean they are 'kaput' for this year?

I am zone 7b; we have had a mild winter and no snow or ice here *knock wood!* other than an inch or so back in December that disappeared in a day or so. The various weeds have been doing marvelously well this winter, I must say.

The Scheepers snowdrops did appear when one would expect. No sign of any of the other bulbs they sent but of course it's way too early for those. I have to say, I've never had any issues with anything that I ever got from Brent & Becky's as far as the emergence of new plantings. Hope I have not been penny wise and pound foolish, as the saying goes.

What do you think? Late newbies, or Not-Great quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 07:21 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
I'm in 7b and coincidentally our local botanical garden made an instagram post just yesterday or the day before with some snowdrops that they said were just getting ready to bloom. I would have thought they should already have bloomed but apparently they're running late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden