Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 10:54 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,040 times

Advertisements

Can someone identify this houseplant (see attached) and tell me what's wrong with it (and possibly how to treat it) The leaves are usually thick and waxy. The edges are also starting to get brittle and curl a bit.

I keep it outside in a sheltered area (I'm in FL)
Attached Thumbnails
Mystery Plant-20200227_123142.jpg   Mystery Plant-20200227_115558.jpg   Mystery Plant-20200227_124435.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 01:19 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,122 times
it looks like one of the Hoyas that I call wax plant. They like to be root bound so I wouldn't repot it. It may just be going through its winter phase. Don't over water.

could be something else

Old 02-27-2020, 01:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,730,487 times
Hoya is what came first to my mind too. But I wouldn't bet my life on it.

That leaf looks to me like it has either cold or sun damage. Many tropical plants can be damaged by temps in the 40s. And many common tropicals are understory plants that are not adapted to direct sun. That's why they make good houseplants!

Keep an eye on it. A few damaged leaves are no big deal. If you are having a cold snap, move it indoors until temps warm up again. Also, even in Florida, the sun changes position in the sky with the seasons. It may be that more sun is temporarily hitting your plant. As the sun moves higher in the sky, that spot will probably become shadier again.

Take a leaf and those pix to a local nursery and ask them what species they think it is.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:55 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
it looks like one of the Hoyas that I call wax plant. They like to be root bound so I wouldn't repot it. It may just be going through its winter phase. Don't over water.

could be something else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Hoya is what came first to my mind too. But I wouldn't bet my life on it.

That leaf looks to me like it has either cold or sun damage. Many tropical plants can be damaged by temps in the 40s. And many common tropicals are understory plants that are not adapted to direct sun. That's why they make good houseplants!

Keep an eye on it. A few damaged leaves are no big deal. If you are having a cold snap, move it indoors until temps warm up again. Also, even in Florida, the sun changes position in the sky with the seasons. It may be that more sun is temporarily hitting your plant. As the sun moves higher in the sky, that spot will probably become shadier again.

Take a leaf and those pix to a local nursery and ask them what species they think it is.
Interesting that both of you think it's a Hoya. I have a Hoya in bloom out on the patio that gets more sun. Since the temps are plunging down to the 40s and below I brought that one in. This plant exhibits no signs of damage.

The troubled plant in question doesn't get direct sunlight and is in an even more protected location than the blooming Hoya. I am taking your advice and have brought this plant indoors as well.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:18 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
Interesting that both of you think it's a Hoya. I have a Hoya in bloom out on the patio that gets more sun. Since the temps are plunging down to the 40s and below I brought that one in. This plant exhibits no signs of damage.

The troubled plant in question doesn't get direct sunlight and is in an even more protected location than the blooming Hoya. I am taking your advice and have brought this plant indoors as well.
check it for insects or just give it a good wash before you bring it in.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
That's a hoya. I think you should take the whole plant to a nursery for ID of the disease before you attempt any restorative measures. Take it enclosed inside a tied plastic bag.

If it's what I think it is then I'm sorry to say it looks to me like it may be infected with botrytis blight, a fungal infection which is not uncommon to infect outdoor hoyas at this time of year. If it's botrytis the plant's recovery is touch and go, I think doubtful. It needs dry warm conditions and sunlight's UV rays from a bright window now but if you have brought it indoors be sure to keep it quarantined far, far away from any other houseplants since the botrytis spores can be airborne on the slightest air currents.

There are treatments you can get for botrytis but I've never had good luck with any of them or with getting the infection out of the contaminated soil and plants. I have to watch like a hawk for signs of botrytis outdoors in my damp location and any time I come across a plant outside with botrytis I get rid of the plant and the soil it is in since it's not worth taking the risk of it infecting all the other plants. That infection gets into the soil, roots and into every part inside and outside of the plant and it doesn't take long for it to find its way to other healthy plants and soil and then harbor there for weeks or even months until just the right damp, low light conditions come along for it to strike down the healthy host plants too.

I hate botrytis.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:37 AM

50,325 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I would try Daconil spray.
Cut the plant back to healthy tissue. Sterilize your scissors. Dispose of the diseased leaves away from other plants. Spray the heck out of it, quarantine it, and say a prayer.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Definitely a Hoya. Looks like the drains might be clogged by the soil filling the dish. Good time to divide the plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden