Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:52 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,971,776 times

Advertisements

I have had one of these for years and it works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/Manplow-PRO42...3840375&sr=8-1

I also have a small Toro gas snow thrower for deeper snows and that works great too........... especially when I pay a neighbor to do it.

Give neighbor key to garage, leave money on snow blower......easy peasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:58 AM

7,142 posts, read 4,984,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
When I began to age and realized I would have trouble shoveling I took my cue from an elderly female neighbor and invested in a super-wide push broom. When it snowed and I was home I would go out and sweep the snow away every 30-45 minutes as it fell. Really cut down on the need to shovel.

Ever see pictures of the little old ladies using brooms to clear the sidewalks in Moscow? It works very well and fast, too. I clear the 60ft flagstone path down to the coop with a broom in about 2 minutes. A 12 in snowfall might take two courses. The original "snowblower."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
An idea for the OP but keep in mind, it does not work for heavy wet snow. Great with fluffy snow and still should be done every 1-2".

Heck, our first frost in the fall is heavier than that

Old 03-10-2020, 08:30 AM

5,878 posts, read 2,805,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneScott View Post
Hey, there! I hope you're doing well.
I need your wise advice! I live in a house, so I'm acquainted with the snow removal. Two months ago I've started going to the gym after work 3 times a week and I now have enough physical activity, lol. In other words, I'm tired remove snow myself and I think about purchasing a snowblower. I have $150 -200 for this purpose. Any recommendations are welcome! Btw, spring has come and maybe there are any discounts for snowblowers, aren't there? Thanks in advance.
Two hundred for a snow blower is not near enough for a dependable. thrower.
You need to get a 8 to ten horsepower .Enough to move 6 to 24 inches at a time..Thats anywhere from 900 to 1500 ....You are in Buffalo.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM

22,961 posts, read 18,266,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
An idea for the OP but keep in mind, it does not work for heavy wet snow. Great with fluffy snow and still should be done every 1-2".

I made this. The shovel is just a perspective on how big the push broom is.

In motion. My driveway takes me 15 minutes to shovel 2 inches of snow. With this it took 5 minutes!

That's where I got the idea from.
In this area no one would bother doing anything about that light a dusting! That's sneaker weather. Once the depth reaches 4-6" people start getting twitchy and the shovels start coming out.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:21 PM

83,334 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
In this area no one would bother doing anything about that light a dusting! That's sneaker weather. Once the depth reaches 4-6" people start getting twitchy and the shovels start coming out.
Same here. But because that's a "broom" not a shovel and is 5 feet in width, its best to be out there every 1-2 inches with it. But I agree, its a waste of time to shovel anything less than 3". Sometimes I do it for the exercise though.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:53 AM

15,715 posts, read 20,252,532 times
Doesn't buffalo get piles and piles of heavy wet lake-effect snow? 12-18"+

$200 isn't going to cut it unless you find a great deal on a used one. I live in MA and get similar, heavy wet snow. My snowblower cost $1800
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden