Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 03:55 PM

19,389 posts, read 15,224,747 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if some of you experienced gardeners could advise me of the brand(s) of organic soil you use and trust to be free of fertilizers and pesticides, and anything else that could be harmful to pets, specifically a rabbit. I want to make her a digging box with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 04:26 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm just wondering if some of you experienced gardeners could advise me of the brand(s) of organic soil you use and trust to be free of fertilizers and pesticides, and anything else that could be harmful to pets, specifically a rabbit. I want to make her a digging box with it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I would do some research on rabbit husbandry sites. There could be fungi, molds, or naturally occurring bacteria in some organic soils that promote respiratory problems.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I would do some research on rabbit husbandry sites. There could be fungi, molds, or naturally occurring bacteria in some organic soils that promote respiratory problems.
I've been searching online and some of those have come up. I was going to further check out any suggestions anyone might have. But that's a good idea, thank you.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 PM

7,323 posts, read 4,118,369 times
I've open bags of organic soil from big box stores and seen white strands of fungi or bacteria.

I might let the dirt air-out for a couple of weeks before using. However, I am not expert.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I've open bags of organic soil from big box stores and seen white strands of fungi or bacteria.

I might let the dirt air-out for a couple of weeks before using. However, I am not expert.
Thank you for posting your experience with it.

Two responses and that's already been mentioned twice. I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere yet. I'm glad I asked here. I'll also see what kind of input the vet has.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:11 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
How about filling a box with straw or hay for digging in? It doesn't have to be soil.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:53 AM

6 posts, read 5,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
How about filling a box with straw or hay for digging in? It doesn't have to be soil.
I second this suggestion. Bunnies love digging in a cardboard box filled with timothy hay or paper... then after that, will probably enjoy digging and tearing up the box itself!

Old 03-13-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaOrlando View Post
I second this suggestion. Bunnies love digging in a cardboard box filled with timothy hay or paper... then after that, will probably enjoy digging and tearing up the box itself!
I'm afraid if I use hay or straw for that, it'll turn into a second litter box. She has lots of hay there.

She has or has had all kinds of digging boxes and tunnels, with things like old towels, telephone books, etc. She loves that. But what I really wish for is some hard-packed dirt she could tunnel in to help keep her nails worn down. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

We were able to do her nails ourselves a couple of times, and have taken her to the vet, too, but catching her is just about impossible and she struggles to free herself like she's fighting for her life. But that's a whole other issue.

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:16 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Buy a bag of white play ground sand.

Or else dig up a shovel full of plain dirt and bake it in the oven at 350 for an hour to kill bacteria.

Potting soil is not a good choice.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:29 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
If you want nails worn, try a box of small gravel. Maybe fish tank gravel as that has been sterilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden