Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 08:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,103,596 times

Advertisements

Good for you!! Satisfying, isn't it? I dug up a bunch of day lilies yesterday. I only have nubs of green and have never seen a flower but only because the second they start growing, the deer come and chomp them down. ugh. So they sit in a box at the curb with a sign for anyone who wants them.

Hubby and I once dug up a huge huge pampas grass at my daughter's house for her. we chopped, we hacked, we dug, we burned and then we chopped and hacked and dug and burned. And then we .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 10:03 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Can you grow coffee in your area? That might be something to plant in the area you cleared?

Good job! Beating up the shrubbery is always good healthy exercise. Today we managed to beat up some grasses. It was Guinea grass growing through a big roll of fence wire. A friend and I tackled it this morning (after coffee) and it actually got dug out of the grass! Woot!
What is it about doing yard work in spring that makes one feel so good?

Good for you for doing a difficult job. Enjoy your well earned cuppa.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
When you are done please come over and deal with SO's Trumpet Vine. Coffee is almost ready:>)
I love trumpet vine!

Too bad you have too much and I have none.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:59 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,549,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I deserve a fresh cup of coffee right now, and I’m drinking it. I thought I’d never be able to dig out some perennial roots, but I did. I dug out Cuban oregano and having gained confidence, I tackled a Lady’s Mantle and with a bit of work, I got it out.

After that I took a metaphorical breath and started in on the Shastas. I got both plants out! I was convinced I was too weak. I was wrong. And you know what? You can’t catch covid-19 while gardening.

I am a happy camper right now.

Am planning what will go into those blank spaces I’ve created.

WOW! You deserve 2 cups!! Have fun planning.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
I dug up a massive iris bed once. I let the water hose trickle into it overnight. By morning the ground was soup. It was still a chore.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:01 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What is it about doing yard work in spring that makes one feel so good?

Good for you for doing a difficult job. Enjoy your well earned cuppa.

Today finished that clump of grass that had been holding down the roll of wire. It took an axe to get rid of it. Guinea grass is really nasty grass. Now there's a flat spot there which is a huge improvement.

Guinea grass was intentionally imported as a pasture grass for cattle, but the seeds blow in the wind everywhere and once it gets established, it's really hard to remove. After a grassy area is mowed, within several days, the Guinea grass will be six to eight inches tall, it can grow several inches a day. The regular lawn grasses get choked out by the fast growing Guinea grass since most of us don't have cows to keep up with it.

But now we're fencing the backyard for sheep so they can eat the grass. They will be happy to eat the grass, then we won't have to mow it. Things will be ever so much better when it's fenced and there's sheep. At least, that's what I've been telling myself instead of cussing at grasses.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:10 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Today finished that clump of grass that had been holding down the roll of wire. It took an axe to get rid of it. Guinea grass is really nasty grass. Now there's a flat spot there which is a huge improvement.

Guinea grass was intentionally imported as a pasture grass for cattle, but the seeds blow in the wind everywhere and once it gets established, it's really hard to remove. After a grassy area is mowed, within several days, the Guinea grass will be six to eight inches tall, it can grow several inches a day. The regular lawn grasses get choked out by the fast growing Guinea grass since most of us don't have cows to keep up with it.

But now we're fencing the backyard for sheep so they can eat the grass. They will be happy to eat the grass, then we won't have to mow it. Things will be ever so much better when it's fenced and there's sheep. At least, that's what I've been telling myself instead of cussing at grasses.

I had a mother nutria that dug a burrow out back one year and had two young ones. They constantly ate the grass on the lawns and I didn't have to do any mowing the whole year.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:16 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
A nutria, eh? That sounds like an even easier answer than sheep! Not exactly sure what a 'nutria' is but we have Google (with images, even) for that. However, I'm pretty sure we don't have them in Hawaii and they probably won't let me have one if I try to get one.

A nice side benefit of this clearing out that wretched guinea grass is that other than fencing and sheep, it looks like there will be space to pull the car up behind the house and much closer to the kitchen door and there will be an area on the hillside to put in a raised bed garden that will terrace the hillside.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I had a mother nutria that dug a burrow out back one year and had two young ones. They constantly ate the grass on the lawns and I didn't have to do any mowing the whole year.
You have nutrias in OR?

Old 03-15-2020, 06:03 PM

19,261 posts, read 15,146,341 times
We had yucca plants when I was growing up. My mom still complains about how hard they were to dig up and get rid of.

I still love the look of them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden