Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 11,996,564 times

Advertisements

So...what are your spring/summer 2020 landscape and gardening plans and projects?

I think I'm going to redo the perennials I have in all six of my large outside planters.

I don't know how to add pics sorry. (I'll try to later if I can)
Five pots are in the front yard...... one in each corner, with a center pot that's taller and looks like a Greek urn. Another pot is away from those by the house downspout.

They're 20" wide by 20" deep and I haven't redone them in more than three years. I feel it's time and I'm looking for something to do garden wise....so why not?

In them, over the years, I've had:
-- lavender which has grown to leggy, I never did prune it or cut it back
-- salvia, pinks, turtle head (chelone), bee balm (monarda), and other things I can't remember.

The plan is a complete start over. I'm going to try a couple of peonies, and a few daylilies.

I want to keep it simple and pretty. Part of the reason I can't remember what's in the pots is that I planted so many things in them. Anything I liked I bought and planted.

So this time I'm thinking:
-- in two pots some variety of white peony, along with something else that can bloom when the peonies aren't blooming.
-- in two other pots, different daylilies
-- in the other pot...don't know yet, maybe irises or salvia. In Maryland, I had good luck with amaranths and hibiscus. But now I'm in Philadelphia which is a teeny bit colder. So I don't know.

I LOVE peonies and don't have the flowerbed space for them. So I'm going to try the containers.
We'll see how it goes.

What are your gardening plans for this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM

49,999 posts, read 63,313,910 times
What zone, OP? It would help us get perspective.

I live in coastal GA and am in a Master Gardner course, which is helping me get perspective on what I think I knew, in zone 5, and how I can adapt to here in zone 8-9.

Daylillies, yes! Peonies, no! Other northern favorites, not so much.

I have gone from an abundant garden to a struggling one, but hope springs eternal for gardeners. Today, I heard a lecture on Southern vegetables, fruits, and herbs. After giving up on a vegetable garden, I’m trying again, with more realistic expectations. Hint: no tomatoes.

Last edited by gentlearts; 03-27-2020 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 06:56 PM

Philly -- 7b

So what do you think you'll do -- try -- this year in GA?

Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,945,779 times
I've emptied a large wooden box, will be amending the soil next week, and then planting wildflowers in it. I can't help myself, can't resist a package of wildflower seeds.

I also emptied another large wooden box which I'll be planting vegetables in this year. The large pots on the deck will also be vegetables this year.

The majority of the garden will be planted with eggs and toilet paper. Kidding, it will be tomatoes, cucumbers, etc., the regular vegetables.

And the rest will be, as always, blueberries, raspberries, apples, cherries.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:42 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,713,231 times
My plan is to continue planting more natives and expanding vegetable space this year, along with tropical fruits. The corona virus has stopped all plant shows and exchanges, so some planned purchases have shifted to online or been postponed for me.

I’ve been incorporating native trees, bushes and wildflowers here in 10a: less water, less fertilizer and better for native pollinators. Wax myrtles, a red cedar, Simpson stoppers, a green buttonwood, yaupon hollies, Jamaican capers, a lignum vitae, a Keys blackbead, a senna privet, and a Chickasaw plum have all been planted after having invasive Brazilian peppers removed. The new trees/shrubs are all doing well and most are approaching the one year mark. I need to get them through the current dry season to the rainy season in mid/late June to get them firmly established. It’s been drier and hotter than normal, so I’ve been watering a lot. I’m not losing any of them!

I’ve planted Everglade tomatoes again, which are currant tomatoes, smaller than a cherry tomato and can take the heat and humidity here. They are tender skinned and I’ve learned to clip them off the vine, otherwise they split. I’ve planted Seminole pumpkins again and I hope for a larger crop than my fall one. Bush wax beans are up and growing. I’m planting okra seeds this weekend and have a dozen sweet potato plants shipping from Tennessee in mid April.

We started pollinating vanilla orchid flowers this week, one to two a day as they open, which will last through mid April. We got seven beans last year after we finally figured out we were not pollinating correctly. We should have had forty or more. If the blossom drops the next day, it was done incorrectly. The blossom stays on like a pumpkin or squash when done right.

Our garden club plant sale for this weekend was cancelled and I have many native milkweed to plant along with non-native hairy ball milkweed I thought would sell well for the name alone. I’ve planted three native red morning glory vines, given one away and have one in a pot yet. I’ve potted three passionflower vines, but there are seven more in the yard from rhizomes. I also have corkystem passionflower which seeds and have found seedlings on the other side of the yard and potted those. I’ll plant all the milkweed and flowers: sand squares, blue mist, spurred butterfly pea, blanket flower, spotted bee balm and black eyed Susan. I gave away some Everglade tomato plants that have blossoms already, but with social distancing it’s difficult to even give away plants now.

I’ve been in FL for 7 years, full-time for four, and it’s taken this long to figure out the growing seasons (not summer for most vegetables) and to let go of all I knew about gardening in Indiana and New York.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-27-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 10:28 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,094,987 times
Herbs are coming up in the garden, I have a large chive plant and oregano is spreading all over. Mint is coming up and thyme, sage and rosemary lasted through the winter.

Dahlias are growing large already and strawberries, raspberries, various perennial flowers and my container grown fig tree are starting to grow.

I’m getting ready to weed and work compost in the beds before planting vegetables and herbs like basil. I also need to transplant several foxglove plants to another spot in the garden.

If you can get some, chicken and especially goose manure is the best fertilizer. Zone 8 is definitely the sweet spot for gardening.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
some planned purchases have shifted to online or been postponed for me.
I'll be ordering some peony (roots/shoots) soon. I'm going with ALL white. AND I want the longest blooming, and as short as I can get them....since they'll be in pots. Peonies: white, long blooming and short. I want it all. Don't I?

Don't know yet whether I'll wait to get daylilies from a nursery or just order them. I DO want to support local garden centers, though. We'll see. And I just might order some butterfly weed since I love the orange color. Didn't have much luck with it in a previous try a few years ago. However, I might give it another chance.

I'm in the house for hours on end. Of course there are plenty of chores I could and should be doing. But why do those when I can research my gardening plans.....

Old 03-28-2020, 03:04 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,045,212 times
*****I also emptied another large wooden box which I'll be planting vegetables in this year. The large pots on the deck will also be vegetables this year.*****

oldgardener, when you say you'll be planting your vegs this year in large containers...how large are you talking about?

I've considered using a container 10" wide and maybe 2 feet deep, but I dont think that's big enough. (for tomatoes)
Thx.

Last edited by fresnochili; 03-28-2020 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 230 times
As we can not go out for some time, we have decided to grow vegetables on terrace.

Old 04-13-2020, 05:41 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,385,082 times
My container garden is about double the usual size this year. I have 4x2 and 4x4 raised beds planted with vegetables and herbs. The 4x4 is seeds, so I don’t know how I’ll do - I usually stick to transplants as I’m rather a novice still with vegetables. I planted cucumber, sweet peppers, and two kinds of bush beans. The 4x2 is flourishing after being fitted out with a couple lettuce, basil, shallot, Italian parsley transplants plus a purple sage.

I have a row of large pots with tomatoes and Chile peppers, and pots of various roses and other flowers and trailing thyme and spearmint.

Not a garden that will feed is through a hypothetical produce shortage, but I hope to reap some benefits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden