Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:43 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Thank you Zoisite, your upload instructions are very helpful and clear.

I tried looking as you suggested, and dug around in a number of spots, but did not see any grubs. The thatch of the dead grass is very thick. Photo attached. It is a closeup, as the holes are not noticeable in a distance shot.

Good job with the photo, and close up is best for identification. Your poor lawn has been turned into an awful mess! Okay, those holes may look like a uniform grid pattern to you but if you measure their distance from each other, and the apparent straightness of the rows and the exact size of the holes you will find that they are not exactly equidistant, not straight lines and the holes are not all the same size.

That is insect damage and there is a host of different kinds of insects that can do that sort of uniform looking, non-random damage, from ground bees and wasps to funnel ants to beetles like june bugs to crane fly grubs and many more. Then birds come along and stick their beaks down those holes to 'winkle' grubs out of them and in doing so they enlarge the holes a bit more. Do you have any starlings, robins, flickers and crows showing interest around your property?

To me that all looks exactly like crane fly grub damage, a really, really heavy infestation of them. They prefer damp, poorly drained ground and go deep underground during the daytime to feed on roots and at night time when there are no birds around they come up and exit through those holes to the surface to feed on the surface grass. So try again late tonight, after it gets very dark go outside and inspect the surface ground around the holes with a flashlight. If there is still no sign of crane fly grubs then I still maintain that it is insect damage, not human made, and not caused by small rodents (because the holes are too small and are indeed far too uniform for rodent activity).

The dead thatch needs to be thoroughly raked out of there so it provides less cover and protection for grubs emerging at night, and less blockage for new grass shoots trying to grow up. I think you need to consult with a lawn expert to find out what needs to be done, what kinds of insecticides or pesticides you will have to put down, and whatever drainage and further cosmetic work will need to be done.

Try this too for additional suggestions, and look at some of the pictures there: https://ask.extension.org/questions/460563

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
^^^^^^ wise man spiketh. It's grubs or whatever else. Next, you WILL have moles in numbers. Good luck on ridding of grubs. Costs A LOT to do that.

Do NOT make a mistake of sodding that property. They will kill sod too.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:15 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Zoisite - I believe that you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I am deeply grateful for your insight and lucid thorough explanations.

I always took great pride in putting in the labor to maintain a vigorous healthy green lawn without use of toxic chemicals. In the fall of 2018, my neighbor built an addition and surrounded it with a brick walk. His property is uphill from mine and I am at a low point with respect to all the surrounding properties. After he finished, I noticed that after a heavy rain, the water drained from his property onto mine and I now have a standing water problem when I had never had one before. Last spring was unusually wet in our area, I had standing water in my yard often. I wondered if I could put in a French drain, but my property is about an inch or so lower than the community storm gutters which also have high concrete curbs. There is nowhere for the water or a drain to go. Last summer I noticed that my lawn was starting to die. Not just in the area of standing water, but the rest of it. It got really bad by last fall.

Those holes just showed up in my yard last week. You are absolutely correct, that is when I started noticing flocks of birds covering my lawn. A lot of crows, yes. What surprised me were flocks of Turtle Doves. I love hearing their cooing in the morning but I have never actually seen them until last week. Now there are always 2 to 3 Turtle Doves strolling around my yard. I agree with other posters that now is the time to call in a highly qualified professional service. Unfortunately, this year I have been hit with a series of traumatic events that have left me in fiscally-difficult circumstances. The current economic meltdown is just the icing on that particular cake. I have to do the best I can with limited funding and sweat equity.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:09 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good job with the photo, and close up is best for identification. Your poor lawn has been turned into an awful mess! Okay, those holes may look like a uniform grid pattern to you but if you measure their distance from each other, and the apparent straightness of the rows and the exact size of the holes you will find that they are not exactly equidistant, not straight lines and the holes are not all the same size.

That is insect damage and there is a host of different kinds of insects that can do that sort of uniform looking, non-random damage, from ground bees and wasps to funnel ants to beetles like june bugs to crane fly grubs and many more. Then birds come along and stick their beaks down those holes to 'winkle' grubs out of them and in doing so they enlarge the holes a bit more. Do you have any starlings, robins, flickers and crows showing interest around your property?

To me that all looks exactly like crane fly grub damage, a really, really heavy infestation of them. They prefer damp, poorly drained ground and go deep underground during the daytime to feed on roots and at night time when there are no birds around they come up and exit through those holes to the surface to feed on the surface grass. So try again late tonight, after it gets very dark go outside and inspect the surface ground around the holes with a flashlight. If there is still no sign of crane fly grubs then I still maintain that it is insect damage, not human made, and not caused by small rodents (because the holes are too small and are indeed far too uniform for rodent activity).

The dead thatch needs to be thoroughly raked out of there so it provides less cover and protection for grubs emerging at night, and less blockage for new grass shoots trying to grow up. I think you need to consult with a lawn expert to find out what needs to be done, what kinds of insecticides or pesticides you will have to put down, and whatever drainage and further cosmetic work will need to be done.

Try this too for additional suggestions, and look at some of the pictures there: https://ask.extension.org/questions/460563

Z
I am in awe of your knowledge, but even more than that your willingness to share that expertise with others. You are usually my first thought as in "Hmmmm, I wonder of Z will see this gardening question." Once again, Thank you so very much, I do appreciate your answers, as I too am learning from you.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Zoisite - I believe that you have hit the nail squarely on the head. I am deeply grateful for your insight and lucid thorough explanations.

I always took great pride in putting in the labor to maintain a vigorous healthy green lawn without use of toxic chemicals. In the fall of 2018, my neighbor built an addition and surrounded it with a brick walk. His property is uphill from mine and I am at a low point with respect to all the surrounding properties. After he finished, I noticed that after a heavy rain, the water drained from his property onto mine and I now have a standing water problem when I had never had one before. Last spring was unusually wet in our area, I had standing water in my yard often. I wondered if I could put in a French drain, but my property is about an inch or so lower than the community storm gutters which also have high concrete curbs. There is nowhere for the water or a drain to go. Last summer I noticed that my lawn was starting to die. Not just in the area of standing water, but the rest of it. It got really bad by last fall.

Those holes just showed up in my yard last week. You are absolutely correct, that is when I started noticing flocks of birds covering my lawn. A lot of crows, yes. What surprised me were flocks of Turtle Doves. I love hearing their cooing in the morning but I have never actually seen them until last week. Now there are always 2 to 3 Turtle Doves strolling around my yard. I agree with other posters that now is the time to call in a highly qualified professional service. Unfortunately, this year I have been hit with a series of traumatic events that have left me in fiscally-difficult circumstances. The current economic meltdown is just the icing on that particular cake. I have to do the best I can with limited funding and sweat equity.
If the basic problem is lack of drainage, then it won't matter what else you do.

In some jurisdictions, it is a violation to cause a change in drainage that affects your neighbors. Call the planning authority that has jurisdiction over your neighborhood, and ask about this. It might be that the costs of fixing the drainage will fall on your neighbor.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:

Sorry about your poor lawn. Now that we all need to stay home a lot more of us are working on our yards. With all this yard work our neighborhoods will be glorious.

Since your property is lower than the tall curb maybe you could you get permission to cut a reinforced hole in the curb for the end of your drain pipe. I would also check into whether your neighbor can be dinged for fixing the drainage problem.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

If the basic problem is lack of drainage, then it won't matter what else you do.

In some jurisdictions, it is a violation to cause a change in drainage that affects your neighbors. Call the planning authority that has jurisdiction over your neighborhood, and ask about this. It might be that the costs of fixing the drainage will fall on your neighbor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post

Since your property is lower than the tall curb maybe you could you get permission to cut a reinforced hole in the curb for the end of your drain pipe. I would also check into whether your neighbor can be dinged for fixing the drainage problem.

Ersatz, so sorry to hear about the drainage problem and the other circumstances that are creating further obstacles for you now. I agree with the above suggestions, and that if the basic problem is lack of drainage, then it won't matter what else you do. You need to get that drainage problem fixed first and foremost. Maybe the city can get their crews to cut a drainage hole in the curb for you.

Let the birds handle the grub problem in the meantime and encourage them to pick out the grubs and eventual adult insects as they emerge out of your yard. I don't think the birds can make it look any worse than has already been done at this time and right now they are helping you.

I agree that you should make enquiries with city planning authorities about property violations, and to see if you can get them to help in rectifying the problem. Sounds like your neighbour goofed up and didn't do adequate research about the possible consequences of improving his own property value at the unintentional expense of lowering your own property value. If the neighbour's actions are the cause of your property's drainage problem and damage to your property then the neighbour should be held liable for helping with the costs of repairs.

(And my thanks for the thanks from those of you who get some value from my posts, I'm glad to be helpful. )

Old 03-31-2020, 08:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sorry about your poor lawn. Now that we all need to stay home a lot more of us are working on our yards. With all this yard work our neighborhoods will be glorious.

hahahaha! I love your custom user title under your moniker!

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 AM

936 posts, read 423,293 times
Have you had any ducks hanging out in your yard lately? We get Mallards in the spring and that looks like what we end up with. I call it free aeration.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:32 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Since you mention sweat equity, you could look up a dry well. There are some YouTube videos on simple ones that won't cost a mint. This is if the planning commission suggestion doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden