Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 12:23 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Ok not that big of a yard, lol but 10000 sq ft. I mean I have divots everywhere. It's not like just a few here and there. So I don't know if I need to fill the in with a ton of soil and water or do I need to have someone (or myself) just scrap up the grass and level and reseed??
Have you thought about doing it yourself, one strip at a time, over the spring time? Fill up on dirt, get a weighted tamp or roller, take a six foot wide strip on the border of the fence for an hour on Saturday, do another strip Sunday, wash/rinse/repeat, hitting the fill spots with grass seed?

I'm sure the landscaper said what he said since that's the only reasonably profitable way for him to bid the job, and know the scope of the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 12:59 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Is this a lawn?

Old 03-31-2020, 01:05 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Easy way to do it is to have a landscaper bring in fresh, clean loom and spread it out with a bobcat and scrape it level. Then overseed and water.

Hard way to do it is get your own dirt, and manually fill and level each hole.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:41 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
I have bumpy 6 ACRE. As in - you cna break your ankle. That I have to mow regularly.
OP, you need to figure out 2 things:
1. is it critters that cause it?
2. is it water runs that cause it? Erosion.

In case number one, you need to rid of critters food source. Or, whatever you do, will be ruined with vengeance.
Case 2, anything you do, without remedying the cause, will ruin your effort. Drainage, for example.

I have combo of water runs AND moles, in dozens of mole mounds. I just suffer, nothing will really work.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Easy way to do it is to have a landscaper bring in fresh, clean loom and spread it out with a bobcat and scrape it level. Then overseed and water.

Hard way to do it is get your own dirt, and manually fill and level each hole.
I paid for it. I'd been filling holes for years, and there was always one more.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:42 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
So we just bought the house in January so I'm not familiar with the history. The landscaping guys over the other day said its from when the previous owner laid sod that it wasn't done correctly.

I'm in Denver and it's all grass. Some people say it worms, some says voles, some say its the clay. I honestly don't care what it is I just want it fixed, lol

Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
First thing I'd do is rent or hire someone with a water filled heavy lawn roller and roll the lawn to flatten down the humps as much as possible: https://www.google.ca/search?q=water...w=1120&bih=583

Think of it as ironing and pressing out the wrinkles in the yard.

Then fill in the remaining depressions with enough soil to bring the soil level up to the same level as the tops of the humps. Roll again, refill some more depressions if necessary and roll again and then put down new grass seed on the whole lawn area.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So we just bought the house in January so I'm not familiar with the history. The landscaping guys over the other day said its from when the previous owner laid sod that it wasn't done correctly.

I'm in Denver and it's all grass. Some people say it worms, some says voles, some say its the clay. I honestly don't care what it is I just want it fixed, lol
I don't see how you could lay sod incorrectly to cause bumps or divots unless you laid sod over very rough uneven dirt.

Moles and voles will cause tunnels in your yard. My entire neighborhood has been fighting a battle with moles for the past 2-3 years. Every yard around here seems to have the problem so it is not a matter of grubs, lack of lime, etc. Vole tunnels will be just below the roots of the grass. Mole tunnels are deeper since they actually tunnel in the dirt. Both can be flattened by stepping on them, rolling, or running over them with a riding mower.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Two options. First option is to have the yard graded. This could mean scraping down the yard until perfectly flat. This is the most effective option. The second option is to truck in loads of dirt, spread across the yard evenly, and then packed down. Those low spots will still return though not as deep when the soil in those spots fully packs down from time and rain.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:58 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
First thing I'd do is rent or hire someone with a water filled heavy lawn roller and roll the lawn to flatten down the humps as much as possible: https://www.google.ca/search?q=water...w=1120&bih=583

Think of it as ironing and pressing out the wrinkles in the yard.

Then fill in the remaining depressions with enough soil to bring the soil level up to the same level as the tops of the humps. Roll again, refill some more depressions if necessary and roll again and then put down new grass seed on the whole lawn area.

Now THAT device, with spikes, is what I envisioned. Fill it with 100# of water and tow it around with the tractor for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden