U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM

16,490 posts, read 22,528,117 times

Advertisements

So I asked this locally but all I got was smart ass remarks. I've got a bumpy ass yard. Like you can almost break your ankle on it. One landscaper told me I'd need to totally scrape the whole yard and start all over. Then I've read online that you just put soil in the divots and water it. But I'm talking about hundreds of divots here-some being very deep.

Anyone come across this and how did you resolve it??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:33 AM

8,414 posts, read 13,870,615 times
You say you have hundreds so I take it you have a big yard. I think I'd hire somebody with a tractor, but not really to scrape the whole yard. I've seen a man dump piles of dirt in different places, then take a tractor with a blade on the back to level the piles of dirt into the holes. All they'd have to do is put the blade level with the ground and the dirt will fill everything in.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:54 AM

Ok not that big of a yard, lol but 10000 sq ft. I mean I have divots everywhere. It's not like just a few here and there. So I don't know if I need to fill the in with a ton of soil and water or do I need to have someone (or myself) just scrap up the grass and level and reseed??

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM

4,093 posts, read 4,585,436 times
The "divots" in my back yard indicated moles, voles or some such critters tunneling for food. This, in turn, created bumps that hardened and yes, I've tripped over a few. A few weeks ago I noticed quarter sized round holes spreading out about 4 feet from the base of a young tree in my front yard. This also suggests a critter is searching for food. At least one of my neighbors has used a smoke bomb (?) to drive the critters out of their tunnels. I have read that these critters are diving in for grubs, hence the treatment is to eradicate the grubs in your yard. YMMV.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The "divots" in my back yard indicated moles, voles or some such critters tunneling for food. This, in turn, created bumps that hardened and yes, I've tripped over a few. A few weeks ago I noticed quarter sized round holes spreading out about 4 feet from the base of a young tree in my front yard. This also suggests a critter is searching for food. At least one of my neighbors has used a smoke bomb (?) to drive the critters out of their tunnels. I have read that these critters are diving in for grubs, hence the treatment is to eradicate the grubs in your yard. YMMV.
I'll look into that. If it is that, then I'll handle them but I still need to fix my yard..

Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM

9,729 posts, read 12,335,127 times
The first thing that comes to my mind is have they always been there? IF not does your property have decent drainage when it rains? If not that can create bumps and adding soil will not change that. IF it is a drainage issue, that needs to be addressed and then regraded. IF it is moles or voles tunneling that can be addressed, to stop the invasion but, it will not change the current lay of the land.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:48 AM

6,365 posts, read 7,222,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So I asked this locally but all I got was smart ass remarks. I've got a bumpy ass yard. Like you can almost break your ankle on it. One landscaper told me I'd need to totally scrape the whole yard and start all over. Then I've read online that you just put soil in the divots and water it. But I'm talking about hundreds of divots here-some being very deep.

Anyone come across this and how did you resolve it??
Without some pictures it is really hard to understand what you mean by bumpy and divots. What I have noticed new homes is you develop low spots and even holes where there had once been trees and after 5-10 years, the underground stump rots and the ground above it drops a few inches. I had one of these where cut down a tree and ground the stump to below ground level. After a few years, a hole developed in the lawn. I kept a bucket of fine gravel that I used to fill the hole a couple times a year. It probably took five years before that hole disappeared.

The above description works on individual holes but if you are looking for something on a large scale, check out these videos on using sand to level your yard. I stumbled on one of these videos by accident and thought the guy was crazy, but then discovered there are many more videos on this topic. I haven't tried this but it looks like you could do this on a small scale or get a dump truck load of sand and do a more professional job. See https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+leveling+sand

Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 AM

5,000 posts, read 7,767,256 times
Our yard is bumpy, we mow with a JD tractor. We assume all these bumps are due to decades of squirrels burying their supplies all over the place.

I thought a tractor with a spike aerator MIGHT smooth things out. My visualization of this is a big drum with spikes coming out of it, these aerators come in many forms.

Otherwise I think it would be major ($$) surgery. i.e, dig it up and plow it over and smooth it out. But if it IS the squirrels, the bumps would be back in 5-10 years anyway.

Good luck. We're going to live with it.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,342,531 times
I work at a golf course and we use sand to fill and level divots.
Now if you are talking about something larger and deeper than a golf divot you may need more extensive work done.
You could always mix up some sand and dirt in a wheelbarrow and fill the holes. The grass will grow over if you keep it watered.
If you have bumps and humps you may need to shave them down with hoe or shovel.

Or hire a service.

Important thing is to find out why you have a bumpy yard so you can address that issue to prevent the problem from recurring.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:21 PM

9,800 posts, read 8,095,302 times
Not enough information. Need pictures of the whole layout to get a better idea of what you're talking about. What is your location and growing zone? What type of soil is it - is it sandy, rocky, hard packed clay, soft springy loam with lots of organic material in it? What is drainage like, do you get standing water in the depressions or does the soil soak up water very well? Are there any big trees in the yard that have high roots growing horizontally close to the surface? Are there moles, rabbits, squirrels or other tunneling animals present? Are there a lot of ants in the ground?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden