U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 67 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to houseplants and have a lovely money tree that I'm struggling to keep alive and keep looking good. I've done lots of reading on it and know not to water it too much, keep it in indirect light, not move its location regularly, prune occasionally, etc.

There is new growth and it seems broadly healthy, but there are a few issues:

1. one of the 5 stems seems to be dead. It's really hard and dry and hasn't had any growth since I bought it. I've trimmed it once to see if that would stimulate new growth, but no luck. It's not rotten - just not doing anything. I don't mind it. Can I leave it where it is or do I have to cut it down and remove it, all the way down to the roots?

2. One of the stems has developed a crack in the last few days - I can't find any advice on this online or in books.

3. the plant has loads of stem but very few leaves. New leaves are coming so I know there will be good coverage, but I don't know how to stop it getting taller and taller, with leaves only at the very top. I've cut back new growth a few times but it just leads to really long stems growing and then leaves at the top: I can't get new growth at lower levels. Any advice would be great - I think I cut it back too far last time, hence some of the gnarly growth-less stems.

Photos are here (hopefully this link embed works - couldn't see any forum rules on image posting):

[url]https://ibb.co/zJfvNfn[/url]
[url]https://ibb.co/gJrJJJ6[/url]
[url]https://ibb.co/fqvQvnd[/url]
[url]https://ibb.co/WKCdgs3[/url]

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 10:25 AM

9,165 posts, read 7,768,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgebridge View Post

3. the plant has loads of stem but very few leaves. New leaves are coming so I know there will be good coverage, but I don't know how to stop it getting taller and taller, with leaves only at the very top. I've cut back new growth a few times but it just leads to really long stems growing and then leaves at the top: I can't get new growth at lower levels. Any advice would be great - I think I cut it back too far last time, hence some of the gnarly growth-less stems.

As a new member you can't post pictures yet until after you've made a few more posts - so the ones you posted aren't visible.

Sorry to tell you this but I can't think of anything good to tell you about your money tree. I've done a bunch of research about them because of a gangly braided one with 4 stems which is growing in the downstairs lobby of this building. The manager put it there, and it is a real pain in the you know what since in 5 years it's gone from being a nice looking bushy 18 inches houseplant to an uncontrollable 10 feet long ugly skinny ceiling scraper and the manager refuses to let me get rid of it because he thinks it will bring bad luck to get rid of it.

To the best of my knowledge based on my research, apparently once these trees get past a certain age or stage of growth, unless you are a supreme bonsai expert with a billion years of experience you can NOT stop them from getting taller with leaves only at the top and with long, weak, skinny, naked stems. If you prune it back all you will continually end up with is even longer naked stems that have to be staked up for support, with just a few leaves at the very top.

According to the research apparently it's the nature of the beast, literally, that in those trees' natural forest setting that is how the species have evolved to grow as they mature so that their leafy tops are way up high in the tropical jungle canopy competing with all the other types of trees for sunlight. Their skinny naked stems lean over so they're touching other trees and their upper weight ends up being supported by other species of trees with strong branches and thick sturdy trunks. In their natural setting they are useless weeds that compete and interfere with the growth of other plants in the forest. They are invasive intruders and moochers.

Maybe if we're both lucky somebody with vast knowledge and experience with money trees will come along here and advise both of us about some way to change the nature of these potted beasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden