Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,902 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to determine if I can get by having one or the other. Even though their purpose differ when one has higher PSI than the other. With a garden hose, I'm trying to spray down my kids and play in the backyard, fill the kiddie pool etc. With pressure washer, I'm trying to spray down spider webs, wash the dirt off the driveway or my car etc. I mean garden hose on Amazon only cost like 35 bucks but I just want to have to maintain one less thing.

What do you guys think from your own experience having used these items as homeowners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Two entirely different tools built for different tasks, with both using water. The average garden hose will have only around 60 psi. of water coming out of it. Water coming from a garden hose generally is not dangerous to people due to the lower pressure. Garden hose pressure will clean, but never as good as a PW. will.

There are gasoline powered pressure washers that create from 1200 PSI to over 4000 PSI.

My BlueClean 120 volt electric PW delivers around 1600 PSI at the wand tip. I clean my concrete, brick, and our home's soffits with it. Yard furniture, car under bodies.

But water coming out of PW wand even if it is only 1200 PSI plus, could do serious eye/ear damage. Or if the wand is too close to the skin, may even rip it open.

Pressure washers should NEVER be used in child's play. And due the PW having small orifices in the wands as to generate fine, high pressure water discharge spray, they do not allow enough gallons of flow of water per minute, to be able to use a PW to fill anything up with water.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-18-2019 at 07:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
A garden hose is fine for filling a kiddie pool, hosing down the house, etc...A power washer is for heavy duty stuff.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Don't you need a hose to attach to the power washer anyway?

If it's a choice between one or the other then I go for the one that I know I'm going to use most frequently and get the most practical use out of. For me that's a garden hose. I use it every day for so many different things, ....... whereas a power washer, I would maybe use that once a month at the most, but usually only 3 or 4 times a year.

I compromise. For the garden hose there are hand held sprayer attachments with several settings that I can screw onto the garden hose that are suitable for most light PW work around the yard - there's not as much psi as with a PW but there's still sufficiently increased water pressure for what I need, and it's safer and less destructive to property. I find with the various spray settings it's more than adequate enough to spray down spider webs or insects on the undersides of bushes without causing damage to plants, and then change the settings for higher pressure to wash dirt off the driveway, car, outdoor furniture, garden tools and wheelbarrows, etc.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Power washer for the house & ground. Garden hose for everything else including fill pool. Unless your water pressure is that low that you need a power washer for extra pressure.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
I'm trying to determine if I can get by having one or the other.
You can. Plus! you already have the garden hose(s). No extra expense involved.

Quote:
What do you guys think from your own experience having used these items as homeowners?
Pressure washers are notorious for creating problems... plus having one more engine to take care of.
Best avoided on all fronts.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:12 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Buy a hose nozzle that will give you a decent jet spray.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I'm trying to determine if I can get by having one or the other. Even though their purpose differ when one has higher PSI than the other. With a garden hose, I'm trying to spray down my kids and play in the backyard, fill the kiddie pool etc. With pressure washer, I'm trying to spray down spider webs, wash the dirt off the driveway or my car etc. I mean garden hose on Amazon only cost like 35 bucks but I just want to have to maintain one less thing.

well, if you only have one then get a hose. you cant spray down your kids with a pressure washer. actually, you probably can from 20 feet away or so. i never tested it but it seems to lose a lot of pressure in not so far a distance.

you are going to use your garden hose more frequently and it will handle most tasks but its not going to clean your patio/deck/etc. in any substantial way. you can either hire someone for that or diy with a pressure washer. if you were willing to take the time, it probably pays for itself if you use it twice vs hiring someone. its a satisfying tool but the work is kind of a grind.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
We have a very strong nozzle on the hose. For us this works great as a pressure washer and then every few years we do have the house professionally done. We would do it ourselves but the pressure washer is a bit too strong for us at our age.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:12 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:

Well it depends. How often does your house and driveway require pressure washing and cleaning and what is the cost to have someone professionally do it? If you need to do it frequently throughout the year then having a pressure washer may fit the bill. If you need to only do it once a year then hiring someone to do it may make sense. You don't need a pressure washer to take down spider webs or wash the car and you don't risk your kids thinking they are being funny and trying to spray you with the pressure washer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden