Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times

Advertisements

I want a cedar (Cedrus) sapling.
Does anyone have one they want to sell or trade?

NOT interested in junipers, please. That's not a true cedar. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You should be more specific. Here at my home and all over the area we are constantly pulling up volunteer Western Redcedar trees, Thuja plicata. It's not a true cedar either, but has the aroma and natural resistance that make it popular for posts, decking, shingles and siding. Red Cedar is the even more aromatic true cedar used for chests and closets, and the names start with Cedrus. If those are what you want then do you want Atlantic, Cyprus, deodar, or Lebanon?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
OP, you may need to read up a bit about true cedars, nearly all of them require an environment where they will get some moderate to cold temperatures and plenty of water and humidity for both the roots and on their foliage.

What kinds of true cedars do you know of that will grow well in a hot, dry location like Phoenix, Arizona?

https://gardenerdy.com/types-of-cedar-trees

Why do you want cedar?

Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 AM

631 posts, read 561,963 times
If you are looking for the "salt cedar", they do well in desert climates. It's not a true cedar (Cedrus), however. It's in the Tamarix genus.

I grow three species of Cedrus at my place... the deodar cedar, the blue Atlas cedar, and the cedar of Lebanon. Not sure they will do well or even survive in Phoenix. Deodar is by far the fastest grower. Evergreen Nursery, based in Tennessee, sells potted deodar cedar at a reasonable price. They ship very quickly. I live in southern Maryland and they do well here. They are a graceful tree. Cedar of Lebanon may do better in deserts (?), but not sure about this. They are much more difficult to find in the trade. I got mine from a grower in California.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
FWIW, the "Sunset Western Garden Book" does not recommend any of the cedrus species (deodora, atlantica, brevifolia, or libani) for the low desert---likely because of concerns about heat, drought, and alkaline soil. that said, while this book is regarded by some as the "Bible of Western Horticulture", it's not always infallible (and sometimes I've found it dead wrong) but it's opinions are often worth at least considering. OTOH, many of the "salt cedars" (tamarix) which are NOT related to the true cedars (being flowering plants rather than conifers) are in fact regarded as noxious weeds in many parts of the S.W. because they in fact do way too well there especially around stream banks and arroyos where they can almost completely displace native vegetation in worst case scenarios. FWIW a tree that sort of has a similar look and size are the casuarinas (aka "Australian pines" but they are not true conifers either despite their similar look ) which are tolerant of low desert conditions and MIGHT work for you.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 11-10-2018 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Italian Cypress have done well at Oracle State Park, north of Tucson....at a lower elevation. I know it's not a cedar, but they will grow where you are.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Cedrus deodora and Cedrus atlantica are both growing at the University of Arizona arboretum in Tucson. I'm certain it's not their ideal environment, but they seem to be surviving and growing.
https://apps.cals.arizona.edu/arbore...xon.aspx?id=61

Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
thanks for the replies, especially yours, marino.

Yes, I'm aware a Cedrus would not normally grow here in Phoenix, but after seeing how beautiful they are in CA, I can't help but want to try them. I think atlantica tolerates heat the best of the species.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
thanks for the replies, especially yours, marino.

Yes, I'm aware a Cedrus would not normally grow here in Phoenix, but after seeing how beautiful they are in CA, I can't help but want to try them. I think atlantica tolerates heat the best of the species.
hey doug. i know this a couple of years later but i have some insight on the species mentioned here. i am growing an atlas cedar in tucson zone 8b/9a in full sun with low-moderate water. its a couple of years old purchased at lowes, of all places, as a ball and burlap tree out of oregon. it hasnt grown very fast but it faithfully puts on a couple inches of growth in spring and fall. its about 7ft tall. i am acquiring a deodar this year after seeing several nice specimens around town while doing delivery food service. all of them were in afternoon shade at the base and planted in lawns so that must have helped them succeed until they were tall enough to reach full sun and shade their haunches. if you havent given up finding one and are still looking, i would suggest a trip up to prescott or flagstaff and checking out watters or warners, respectively. they both have carried them in the past. hope this helps.

p.s. i am conducting an experiment with several conifer species after seeing moderate success with the atlas cedar and hoping to introduce cultivation ideas to the tucson discussion (and maybe phoenix). i have a 'baby blue' colorado spruce and an alberta spruce growing. will keep posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden