Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 06:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

If it's a trumpet tree it's not supposed to have ANY leaves on it at the time it's in bloom. It drops all its leaves for winter and grows all new leaves each year after the tree has bloomed and then dropped its blooms. That's how I know it definitely isn't a rhododendron because rhodos are evergreens that always have big leaves on them year round.

I also agree that it isn't a cherry tree. The blooms on the tree are trumpet shaped with pink petals and red throats. There are some like it shown on the google images link I posted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 08:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Hi, you are welcome to see it for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/outdoorking...751204230/?t=3

It's the first tree in the video.

But I know the overall shape of the tree -- packed with pink blossom and no leaves -- does exist. They planted this type of tree at the McDonald's parking lot in Cloverdale, CA. It's a stunning view.

I wonder how long the trumpet tree blossom lasts. At first search wiki page does now say about this.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post

But I know the overall shape of the tree -- packed with pink blossom and no leaves -- does exist. They planted this type of tree at the McDonald's parking lot in Cloverdale, CA. It's a stunning view.

I wonder how long the trumpet tree blossom lasts. At first search wiki page does now say about this.

Thanks for posting that. What a beautiful video. That tree is shown a few times in the video from different angles, and there are shots of pink flowering cherry trees and magnolias too. Having seen the pictured tree from several different angles and with more detail I feel more confident that it is a pink and magenta trumpet tree.

According to the following site apparently trumpet trees bloom abundantly for around 3 weeks in spring and some other sites say it also sometimes blooms less fully for short periods at other times of the year too: https://www.emeraldgoddessgardens.co...roducts_id=164

Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:

What a study in pink!

Old 04-25-2020, 09:02 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,503 times
Default zoisite

Is that the tree in the Washington, Dc., area that I have seen many times? Thank you,

Old 04-26-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post

zoisite Is that the tree in the Washington, Dc., area that I have seen many times? Thank you,
Sasie I don't know. I've never visited Washington DC so I don't know what you're seeing there. Next time you see it there maybe you can take a picture and post it for someone to ID.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:58 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sasie I don't know. I've never visited Washington DC so I don't know what you're seeing there. Next time you see it there maybe you can take a picture and post it for someone to ID.
Sasie must be referring to the annual Cherry Blossom in Washington DC. Washington is not known for any other trees except the one Washington chopped down.

Those are genuine Japanese cherry trees, gifted to the US by Japan in 1912.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:00 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,845 times
Quote:
pink trumpet tree (there are also violet varieties and yellow varieties)
violet sounds lovely. and what a neat name, "trumpet tree", hehe.

Quote:
But considering their sub-tropical nature
I wonder if it's the same kind of purple tree that I've seen on tv in australia and other hot places and always wondered what it was.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:02 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,845 times
this one is gorgeous and reminds me of some I've seen around here, like a cherry blossom but darker and fluffier. not sure if it's a type of cherry or this type.
Attached Thumbnails
Can you help ID this beautiful tree-screen-shot-2020-04-26-4.20.27  

Old 04-26-2020, 04:57 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

The tabebuia ipe blooms once a year with blooms lasting 4-6 weeks starting in January. It is a beautiful tree and every year when mine blooms people stop to comment or ask the name. It has provided a backdrop for so many photos of my foster dogs for their listing, I set them right on the blanket of delicate fallen blooms.

Here’s a video so you can get a closer look at the blooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xSkyDyTgk

Last edited by shadowne; 04-26-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden