Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 03:10 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I eat dandelions, they are delicious in the spring. Bees love the pollen and nectar.

To me, it is the ugly mono-culture of one grass type that looks bad. I assume the owner is the understimulated busy-body type that care more about appearances than functionality, or is a person that considers bugs and plants as invaders, rather than co-inhabitants of the space. But who cares what I think about those lawns, or what anybody else thinks about yours!
I agree. Dandelions are a fantastic plant. The flowers and early leaves are perfect spring greens. The roots can be roasted for a coffee substitute.

The blossoms not only make a very nice tea, they also make a unique and delicious wine with a delicate floral flavor.

Dandelions were originally brought to this continent as a food source. Modern farming has given us easy access to foods, and living in cities and urban environments has robbed us of knowing and enjoying natural foods.

Many so called "weeds" have sustained and healed humans for thousands of years. Stinging nettles for example are very high in protien, taste way better than spinach. The seeds and roots are a super food. The mature stalks make a very strong natural fiber.
But the big benefit is when you dry the leaves and make tea. It's a great anti inflammatory, ( best thing for gout and arthritis I know of with no side effects), and it s tastes great too.

Lamb's quarter, Burdock, Mullen, all considered weeds, all valuable food and medicine.

When I see a yard with dandelions or other "weeds" I think that owner has a great natural garden growing and I hope they realize the free bounty for the picking they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 03:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If you cut the grass aren't you cutting the dandelions? Where I live water is too expensive. So we welcome anything that grows without water on about 10,000 sq. ft. of lawn. We have weeds, flowers, clover, grass, crabgrass, etc. We just keep it mowed. We don't use any fertilizer or weed killer.

This is what I do. Mow the lawn with a mulching mower and that's about the extent of our lawn care. I might water it some in the spring, as that is our dry time of the year, to get it to green up after winter but after that it is on its own.

There seems to be a succession of things. Yellow dandelion flowers first, followed by the white puff balls, then the grass seems to take off, followed later in the summer by clover leaves and then the white/reddish clover flowers.

I like it.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
"Healing arthritis with dandelions": https://arthritiscure.me/healing-art...th-dandelions/

Old 04-30-2020, 08:01 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
A lot of the comments here are answering the wrong question. The OP didn't ask if dandelions are useful plants, or if they're good for bees, or if s/he should keep a lawn. The question is very simple: whether a yard full of dandelions looks unkempt.

The answer is yes.

Whether the OP should care about that, or whether there are other reasons to keep the dandelions is another matter.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:48 AM

982 posts, read 608,196 times
I actually like the dandelions as they “decorate†the lawn and feed the bees. They don’t last long, really.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
A lot of the comments here are answering the wrong question. The OP didn't ask if dandelions are useful plants, or if they're good for bees, or if s/he should keep a lawn. The question is very simple: whether a yard full of dandelions looks unkempt.

The answer is yes.

Whether the OP should care about that, or whether there are other reasons to keep the dandelions is another matter.
No, it doesn't. It looks like a meadow, lush and lively.

My very tidy sister finally figured the lawn thing out. She lives in townhouse community (and has for the past 40 years or so - she likes them) with an HOA. Her "yard" is quite small, and she has a dog.

Ripped up all the grass and put down astroturf. Hoses it off to take care of the dog pee and keep it from getting dusty looking. Is living happily ever after.

Now I'd never in a million years do this myself, but given her priorities, it's perfect for her. I don't understand why more people with the same aesthetics don't do as she did.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:26 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
This is one of those topics that you will get varying opinions on. And there really is no "right answer". It really boils down to what you care about and how much time, effort and $$ you want to put into it.

I am one of those evil, bee-killer people. I have a company that comes out and sprays several times a year. I have 0 dandelions at the present moment. I do not like a lawn with weeds in it, but that is my preference. Do I think it looks unkempt if it was loaded with dandelions this time of year? Yes!

Would I be doing this if I lived out in the country on 3+ acres? Probably not, but I am in a small neighborhood on acre lots and I like things to look neat and tidy.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I agree. Dandelions are a fantastic plant. The flowers and early leaves are perfect spring greens. The roots can be roasted for a coffee substitute.

The blossoms not only make a very nice tea, they also make a unique and delicious wine with a delicate floral flavor.

Dandelions were originally brought to this continent as a food source. Modern farming has given us easy access to foods, and living in cities and urban environments has robbed us of knowing and enjoying natural foods.

Many so called "weeds" have sustained and healed humans for thousands of years. Stinging nettles for example are very high in protien, taste way better than spinach. The seeds and roots are a super food. The mature stalks make a very strong natural fiber.
But the big benefit is when you dry the leaves and make tea. It's a great anti inflammatory, ( best thing for gout and arthritis I know of with no side effects), and it s tastes great too.

Lamb's quarter, Burdock, Mullen, all considered weeds, all valuable food and medicine.

When I see a yard with dandelions or other "weeds" I think that owner has a great natural garden growing and I hope they realize the free bounty for the picking they have.
You speak my language. We gather plantain leaves, yarrow, violets, dandelions, and are always looking for more! Not sure about the Stinging Nettles.....their bite is one of the most uncomfortable sorts of pain, IMO. I'll leave their processing to somebody else.

The real kicker is that our yard is always the greenest on the block. Why? Because there is always some plant thriving regardless of weather and season. Great year for wild strawberry and clover so far.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
This is one of those topics that you will get varying opinions on. And there really is no "right answer". It really boils down to what you care about and how much time, effort and $$ you want to put into it.

I am one of those evil, bee-killer people. I have a company that comes out and sprays several times a year. I have 0 dandelions at the present moment. I do not like a lawn with weeds in it, but that is my preference. Do I think it looks unkempt if it was loaded with dandelions this time of year? Yes!

Would I be doing this if I lived out in the country on 3+ acres? Probably not, but I am in a small neighborhood on acre lots and I like things to look neat and tidy.
Location, location, location! Things that work "in the country" just aren't acceptable in most suburbs. So while I doubt I'd get a flaming bag of dog poop on my doorstep if I had a bumper crop of dandelions, my yard would definitely stand out as the exception and would be commented upon.

There must be better ways of helping the bees - including cultivating actual beds of (wild)flowers that are "pretty" for longer than a couple days.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i couldnt care less what my neighbors yards look like. i figure if theirs looks bad it makes mine look better.

but these days you dont have to have perfect grass because so many people are avoiding chemicals and many dont have sprinklers so they have lots of weeds and dead areas and people just automatically assume they are avoiding chemicals. its a great time for people who dont want to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden