Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
How good are you using a limb lopper and a saw? Dwarf trees of any type can sometime surprise you, especially if you prune incorrectly.

We had 3 different varieties. I kept the trees manageable thru pruning during the spring, summer and dormant seasons. The weeping variety is very vigorous. The other two (fruiting varieties) are less vigorous but as still very vigorous as compared to other fruit trees. We probly had mid-full size trees but I was pretty good with a chain saw.

We especially enjoyed the tree with the 3" fruit. We kept the ground clean by eating fruit and freezing them like blueberries. You have to be on top of the ripening in the ~20 day period.

We bought our trees directly from the nursery farm-retail/wholesaler. Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon. I worked on this farmland when I was in grade school picking strawberries. Send me the name of the grower.
I love to prune. Just ask my fruit trees

Thanks for sharing. For the specific variety I am thinking. See link in my post above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 11:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's in SoCal. 99% of mulberries in SoCal are fruitless. I've only seen a small handful fruiting mulberry here in 30 years and I'm in the nursery business. That said, maybe the OP is able to get a fruiting one. That's why I asked.
I have one, only 2 years and I have fruit, not much, just a handful, I ordered mine online.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is the one I have in mind
https://www.starkbros.com/products/f...aring-mulberry

It only gets 8 - 10 feet tall. As a kid, I raised silk worms so I collected mulberry leaves for their food.. it was fun. As a grown-up, I am only interested in its fruits.

Regarding to avoid planting near foundation, I am thinking planting 3 feet away from the backyard concrete wall. Would that be an issue?
I have 2 small trees in a big container my husband built from reused woods. I leave in an alley so no staining of anything. So far all the fruit is gone, nothing left. The crows pick them too.
This is my variety
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/385409680611811725/

Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

I am sick of power-washing the house every year due to the purple stains left from birds who eat the berries off the Mulberry tree in our neighbors yard.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:17 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:

It only gets 8 - 10 feet tall. As a kid, I raised silk worms so I collected mulberry leaves for their food.. it was fun. As a grown-up, I am only interested in its fruits.

Regarding to avoid planting near foundation, I am thinking planting 3 feet away from the backyard concrete wall. Would that be an issue?
Oh, now that I looked up the species, I wouldn't do it. Morus nigra is the Asian mulberry and is an invasive species. Morus rubra is the red mulberry and is the only mulberry tree native to North America. I don't encourage planting species that are non-native when native species are available. If you HAVE to plant it, I would do so in a very large patio pot.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

I am sick of power-washing the house every year due to the purple stains left from birds who eat the berries off the Mulberry tree in our neighbors yard.
This will be planted in backyard so no sidewalk or driveway to stain.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have 2 small trees in a big container my husband built from reused woods. I leave in an alley so no staining of anything. So far all the fruit is gone, nothing left. The crows pick them too.
This is my variety
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/385409680611811725/
Nice. I like Raintree nursery. They have a good reputation.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
This will be planted in backyard so no sidewalk or driveway to stain.
I plant all of my invasive plants in pots. I have 70 fruit trees for a reason, I suggest you do the same, in case you change your mind in the future.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

Yes, that would be a big issue, 3 feet away is way, way, way too close to any structures. Just because you think a dwarfed mulberry will only get 8 - 10 feet tall doesn't mean its root spread will not get up to 10 to 15 feet long or more.

You can be practically guaranteed that the roots will spread out 10 feet long from the base in all directions, and maybe longer. You can control branch spread above ground by judicious trimming but there's nothing you can do to control root spread underground so you MUST accommodate root spread to protect the rest of your property.

So play it safe and keep your tree a minimum of 15 feet away from any structures or underground pipes, wires, drainage or sprinkler systems, sidewalks, driveways or anything else that can be damaged by roots.

If you can't do that then you should confine it in a large container.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-06-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I plant all of my invasive plants in pots. I have 70 fruit trees for a reason, I suggest you do the same, in case you change your mind in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, that would be a big issue, 3 feet away is way, way, way too close to any structures. Just because you think a dwarfed mulberry will only get 8 - 10 feet tall doesn't mean its root spread will not get up to 10 to 15 feet long or more.

You can be practically guaranteed that the roots will spread out 10 feet long from the base in all directions, and maybe longer. You can control branch spread above ground by judicious trimming but there's nothing you can do to control root spread underground so you MUST accommodate root spread to protect the rest of your property.

So play it safe and keep your tree a minimum of 15 feet away from any structures or underground pipes, wires, drainage or sprinkler systems, sidewalks, driveways or anything else that can be damaged by roots.

If you can't do that then you should confine it in a large container.
OK. You guys convinced me to consider planting in a container instead.

How big of a pot? I am thinking building it my own out of 2X4 and plywood. Do I drill holes at bottom for drainage? If so, wouldn't the roots find its way to through the holes to the soil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden