U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 06:40 PM

5,639 posts, read 2,793,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Thank you for sharing your passion about mulberry, Ethereal.

I am beginning to think the dwarf variety is not the way to go. I saw the video from Logee's showing the exact dwarf-everbearing-mulberry in a pot, but the fruits are small. So I am thinking getting a regular size mulberry but grow it in a pot, this way i limit its size and root spread but still get the larger size friuts.

What do you think?
Are you getting the red or the black mulberry? Please remember that the black mulberry is an invasive non-native species and banned in many states. The red mulberry is the most desirable tree, but not really adaptable to growing in a pot. Mine was at least 75 ft. tall. In fact, it was cut down to 8 ft. at one point and then grew back to 75 ft. in just a few years and still delivered up a bountiful annual crop of delicious fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 07:02 PM

10,682 posts, read 8,849,035 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your passion about mulberry, Ethereal.

I am beginning to think the dwarf variety is not the way to go. I saw the video from Logee's showing the exact dwarf-everbearing-mulberry in a pot, but the fruits are small. So I am thinking getting a regular size mulberry but grow it in a pot, this way i limit its size and root spread but still get the larger size friuts.

What do you think?
I have also noticed that the fruits of a dwarf mulberry are very small. We like them big and juicy, don't we.

I don't know if a regular sized mulberry might thrive, let alone survive, in a pot. It might die from being too root bound. So I am not too sure about that myself. But maybe it's a worth a try? Try using a very large pot though.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:52 PM

5,479 posts, read 9,364,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Are you getting the red or the black mulberry? Please remember that the black mulberry is an invasive non-native species and banned in many states. The red mulberry is the most desirable tree, but not really adaptable to growing in a pot. Mine was at least 75 ft. tall. In fact, it was cut down to 8 ft. at one point and then grew back to 75 ft. in just a few years and still delivered up a bountiful annual crop of delicious fruit.
Yeah was thinking black mulberry but to grow it in a pot to limit its size. I think it's called the Pakistan mulberry.

Logee's video also mentioned they sell a Japanese mulberry (mulberry "Issai") variety that produces white mulberry.

Last edited by HB2HSV; 06-17-2020 at 11:02 PM..

Old 06-17-2020, 11:54 PM

6,379 posts, read 2,831,221 times
Did you talk to Lucile?

Old 06-18-2020, 09:10 AM

16,421 posts, read 13,187,896 times
Quote:
Yeah was thinking black mulberry but to grow it in a pot to limit its size. I think it's called the Pakistan mulberry.

Logee's video also mentioned they sell a Japanese mulberry (mulberry "Issai") variety that produces white mulberry.
I have two mulberries that I think just died. One has about a six in diameter trunk and one about a twelve inch diameter trunk. Last year the larger one was missing some of its leaves and this year the larger one has about six leaves on the whole tree. The smaller one has no leaves. Years ago we used to enjoy the fruit; but then we had so many squirrels attack that they left us with none.

There are many diseases that can attack the mulberries (https://www.gardenguides.com/97719-m...-diseases.html). I think mine died from the armillaria root rot because I see some white fungus by the roots.

Now I have two more trees to take down besides the sixty ash trees that died from the emerald ash borer (I already have forty down). At least they are keeping me in shape and keeping the people happy that I give my wood to.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:10 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,320,352 times
We have several big mulberry trees on the property which are very popular with the birds.

One is about 35' tall so there is no way that we could get the berries. Yesterday, we picked berries from lower branches near the hill top of another one about 20' tall. We got about 8 qt. in less than 10 minutes.

I had tasted some mulberries before but did not realize how difficult it was to remove the stems to make jams. I used a nail clipper to clip the stems from the biggest berries (about 3 qts) and used a food mill to crush the rest then blended the strained juice with the de-stemmed whole berries.

I made the jam last night using low-sugar pectin with some sugar (5:1 berries/sugar ratio), lemon juice and a touch of salt. I had it with a homemade bagel this morning. It was delicious and well worth having bluish finger tips for few days ;-)

Old 06-22-2020, 01:39 PM

6,379 posts, read 2,831,221 times
^ lots of antioxidants in the anthocyanins (the color). About as good as blueberries.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:02 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,320,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
^ lots of antioxidants in the anthocyanins (the color). About as good as blueberries.
I was surprised to learn that mulberries have even higher antioxidants than blueberries and it is a superfruit.

Mulberries the latest ‘superfruit’

Quote:
The mulberry’s levels of antioxidants are 79% higher than blueberries and 24% more than those found in cranberries. Not only that but mulberries are packed full of vitamins and fibre and contain high levels of resveratrol – the antioxidant super hero which is the focus of so much scientific interest across a wide range of disciplines.
I like eating blueberries fresh, with pancakes or in a pie but blueberries jam is just so-so. After making the delicious jam and learning about its nutritional values, I will have to compete with the birds for the mulberries.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:51 AM

16,421 posts, read 13,187,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I like eating blueberries fresh, with pancakes or in a pie but blueberries jam is just so-so. After making the delicious jam and learning about its nutritional values, I will have to compete with the birds for the mulberries.
And squirrels!

Old 06-26-2020, 01:07 PM

18,371 posts, read 8,665,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
They have higher, that’s why I got them. I have blackberries and blueberries too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden