Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 04:33 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

I know... I know….

But it is a "dwarf" mulberry, no taller than 10 - 15 feet (that's what's advertised)

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 04:52 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Sure why not as long as it's not next to the house or septic. I never knew dwarf mulberrys existed. Is it a fruiting mulberry? Is it grafted on top so the branches weep downward?

Old 06-05-2020, 04:53 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
If you like purple stains, go for it.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:17 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Mulberries are high maintenance and very messy, especially the Mrs. They've been banned in our area for years.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:09 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I had a native mulberry in my old yard. Sure, it was messy when it was bearing fruit but it did produce a large delicious crop of berries. I usually couldn't keep up with the output, and even the birds didn't get all the overage. It was a gorgeous large tree though.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:27 PM

It's in SoCal. 99% of mulberries in SoCal are fruitless. I've only seen a small handful fruiting mulberry here in 30 years and I'm in the nursery business. That said, maybe the OP is able to get a fruiting one. That's why I asked.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:36 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's in SoCal. 99% of mulberries in SoCal are fruitless. I've only seen a small handful fruiting mulberry here in 30 years and I'm in the nursery business. That said, maybe the OP is able to get a fruiting one. That's why I asked.
This is the one I have in mind
https://www.starkbros.com/products/f...aring-mulberry

It only gets 8 - 10 feet tall. As a kid, I raised silk worms so I collected mulberry leaves for their food.. it was fun. As a grown-up, I am only interested in its fruits.

Regarding to avoid planting near foundation, I am thinking planting 3 feet away from the backyard concrete wall. Would that be an issue?

Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is the one I have in mind
https://www.starkbros.com/products/f...aring-mulberry

It only gets 8 - 10 feet tall. As a kid, I raised silk worms so I collected mulberry leaves for their food.. it was fun. As a grown-up, I am only interested in its fruits.

Regarding to avoid planting near foundation, I am thinking planting 3 feet away from the backyard concrete wall. Would that be an issue?
Hey, that's very cool! Thanks for sharing the link and information. 3 feet away from the wall may be too close even though it's a dwarf. The trick will be to deep water it to promote deep roots. I have a full size fruitless mulberry that is quite large. I don't butcher it every winter like most people do. It's only about 6 ft from the patio concrete but has never been a problem and has no surface roots. It's not in a lawn situation and I deep water it.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 PM

542 posts, read 448,384 times
Quote:
I know... I know….

But it is a "dwarf" mulberry, no taller than 10 - 15 feet (that's what's advertised)

What are your thoughts?
I have 5 Mulberry trees (wife loves them and it reminds her of her home country). My neighbor was very unhappy when I bought two of them - the other three were volunteers. But I don't like the fact my neighbor sprays their lawn and sprays for mosquitoes so screw an I told them I'd remove my mulberries if they would stop spraying their lawn. They refused but it shut them up!

I pick them and the rest the birds get-probably about half.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:19 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:
I know... I know….

What are your thoughts?
How good are you using a limb lopper and a saw? Dwarf trees of any type can sometime surprise you, especially if you prune incorrectly.

We had 3 different varieties. I kept the trees manageable thru pruning during the spring, summer and dormant seasons. The weeping variety is very vigorous. The other two (fruiting varieties) are less vigorous but as still very vigorous as compared to other fruit trees. We probly had mid-full size trees but I was pretty good with a chain saw.

We especially enjoyed the tree with the 3" fruit. We kept the ground clean by eating fruit and freezing them like blueberries. You have to be on top of the ripening in the ~20 day period.

We bought our trees directly from the nursery farm-retail/wholesaler. Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon. I worked on this farmland when I was in grade school picking strawberries. Send me the name of the grower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden