Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 03:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
October? Sheesh, I got my 10 gal. grow bags in 3 days.

I think OP means delivery of the dwarf mulberry in October.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 03:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think OP means delivery of the dwarf mulberry in October.
Yeah that's what I meant

Old 06-06-2020, 03:55 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Okay I have one thing to say about mulberry's- and I know it's irrelevant to the thread, but I'm going to say it anyway.

We used to live in Maryland, and the neighborhood we lived in had mulberry trees ALL OVER THE PLACE. We were newly married, fairly poor, but I managed to scrape up some $$ for a really nice white dress shirt for work (early to mid 90's). I bought a really thick nice white button down collar Polo cotton dress shirt.

I washed it, starched and ironed it to PERFECTION. On a beautiful summer day I'm driving to work with the window down, left arm resting out the window. I come to a stop sign a bird CRAPPED mulberry crap right onto my shirt.

RUINED. We could never get the stain out.

I hate mulberrys, lol.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I don’t wear white shirt anyway, but your story made me LOL. Cheap t-shirts bought from Hawaii, 6 for $20.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Okay I have one thing to say about mulberry's- and I know it's irrelevant to the thread, but I'm going to say it anyway.

We used to live in Maryland, and the neighborhood we lived in had mulberry trees ALL OVER THE PLACE. We were newly married, fairly poor, but I managed to scrape up some $$ for a really nice white dress shirt for work (early to mid 90's). I bought a really thick nice white button down collar Polo cotton dress shirt.

I washed it, starched and ironed it to PERFECTION. On a beautiful summer day I'm driving to work with the window down, left arm resting out the window. I come to a stop sign a bird CRAPPED mulberry crap right onto my shirt.

RUINED. We could never get the stain out.

I hate mulberrys, lol.
LOL. It's funny how things happened to you when you were young & poor that always stayed in your memory. LOL

Old 06-07-2020, 05:10 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Yeah that's what I meant
Ah, RIF.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:08 AM

644 posts, read 307,377 times
My old neighborhood had both regular and dwarf mulberries. The dwarf mulberries were definitely less "wild" - the branches grew down instead of up, and they didn't grow all over the place. However, they never produced much. If you're planting the mulberry for the fruit, you may get a much smaller harvest with these.

I love, love, love regular mulberries, though of course you don't want them anywhere near anything you don't want covered in ripe purple berries. I've never owned one though, so no idea if you can prune it so the branches stay low (and you can pick off the berries before they go splat).

Old 06-12-2020, 05:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Mulberry trees are at least somewhat common in Indianapolis and in central Indiana. I think they perform best in rich fertile soils with fair drainage.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:51 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I don't get the hate. They produce tasty fruit and they grow large and fast enough to provide shade. Who wouldn't want that? Decent shade and privacy from neighbours, and delightful fruit. Sure, they can be messy and would conjure stains on the ground, but it's worth it. Oh and they're also hard to kill. I transplanted a 2 metre+ tall, 2+ year old mulberry tree (that was so close to a fence) to another location in my yard, and the damn bugger survived, despite suffering transplantation shock for a month. It's a very forgiving plant and, on top of all that, it is fast growing and it treats you with delicious fruit. So what's to hate?

Old 06-17-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I don't get the hate. They produce tasty fruit and they grow large and fast enough to provide shade. Who wouldn't want that? Decent shade and privacy from neighbours, and delightful fruit. Sure, they can be messy and would conjure stains on the ground, but it's worth it. Oh and they're also hard to kill. I transplanted a 2 metre+ tall, 2+ year old mulberry tree (that was so close to a fence) to another location in my yard, and the damn bugger survived, despite suffering transplantation shock for a month. It's a very forgiving plant and, on top of all that, it is fast growing and it treats you with delicious fruit. So what's to hate?
Thank you for sharing your passion about mulberry, Ethereal.

I am beginning to think the dwarf variety is not the way to go. I saw the video from Logee's showing the exact dwarf-everbearing-mulberry in a pot, but the fruits are small. So I am thinking getting a regular size mulberry but grow it in a pot, this way i limit its size and root spread but still get the larger size friuts.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden