Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 05:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,218,718 times

Advertisements

I have a young Dwarf Chinquapin Oak that I just planted last fall. So I hadn't looked closely at it until today since I removed the chicken wire to keep the rabbits away. Many of the leaves are curled up at the edges and have a black and white tinge to them. It was a very wet and cold spring but now has turned to full summer in the 90's and a week and a half with no rain. Does it need water or does it have some disease?

Dwarf Chinquapin Oak - leaves curling and black and white edges-img_20200607_165352.jpg

Last edited by reneeh63; 06-07-2020 at 05:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2020, 05:29 PM

14,671 posts, read 14,774,103 times
I'm not familiar with that species of oak. Is it normal for it to have all those hundreds of little white dots on the leaves?

Old 06-07-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm not familiar with that species of oak. Is it normal for it to have all those hundreds of little white dots on the leaves?

White dots? Here is a closer-up view:

Dwarf Chinquapin Oak - leaves curling and black and white edges-img_20200607_165352b.jpg

Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
White dots? Here is a closer-up view:

Attachment 221073

Yes, white dots. See that very bottom leaf in the above picture. Zoom in and magnify it. The leaf is covered with hundreds of white dots. There are several other leaves that have the same thing, and there are a few other healthier looking bright green leaves that don't have the white dots.

If you have a magnifying glass at home try inspecting the top sides and under sides of the leaves. Try to determine what those white dots are, whether they might be spots of white fuzzy mold or pale insects or clusters of insect eggs or areas where the leaves have been nibbled or abraded by some insects or white scabs from sun scorch or perhaps just a natural feature of that particular type of oak or .... ????

If it's possible for you to take and post a clear, well detailed close up picture of a single leaf that shows the black curls on edges and the white dots on the leaf surface it might be easier to identify the problem.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:04 PM

Closer up:

Dwarf Chinquapin Oak - leaves curling and black and white edges-dsc00304b.jpg

I've felt several leaves and I believe the white dots you're seeing is just the texture of the leaves - they're not shiny smooth but a bit "velvety" - but there is no mold or fungus or bugs on either side of them.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:19 PM

That's a good picture, when it's magnified it shows a lot of details that are invisible to the naked eye.

Sorry to tell you this, and I hope I am wrong, but I think from its appearance that your little chinquapin may have what is called Bur Oak Blight (chinquapin is related to and cross-breedable with bur oak and is susceptible to some of the same diseases). Those miniscule white dots along the capillaries are not leaf texture, they would be the suppurating pustules that are precursors to the browning, blackening and curling that starts on the leaf margins then spreads inwards to the center. Bur Oak Blight first presents on new spring foliage in late spring to early summer and progresses through to autumn before going semi-dormant in winter. There apparently are some treatments that can be tried.

I don't know what else to tell you other than the above since I'm not familiar with the many types of oaks that grow south of the 49th parallel that are tolerant of climate conditions and the types of oak diseases that present in the south. You need to do some research about Bur Oak Blight - if possible also maybe take a leaf example (one that has lots of those white spots as well as the black curling on it) to a tree nursery for confirmation about what the problem is.

If the tree is treatable, that's good, but if it doesn't survive and you decide to try again with another dwarf chinquapin I'll suggest you do not plant a new one in the same location. Also don't wait until autumn to plant a new one, get a new one as early in spring as possible so that it has the whole year ahead to become very well established and more immune before the following winter sets in.

Here is some good information about Bur Oak Blight that may be helpful in determining if that is what your tree has: https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/bur-oak-blight

Old 06-08-2020, 04:33 PM

Thanks for doing the research! However, if it doesn't make it that'll be it - I have no other locations in my small yard, even given this is a small dwarf variety. I wanted it for squirrels since it produces after only a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden