U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-11-2020, 07:53 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,453 posts, read 9,348,544 times
Reputation: 4420

Advertisements

Just noticed this on my pear tree.

What is it? Is it fir blight? If so, how do I deal with it?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Blight?-20200611_185222.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2020, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,914 posts, read 3,577,300 times
Reputation: 5612
Looks like it to me....early stage. Pears are highly susceptible. About all you can do is cut it out and hope for the best...Fire Blight

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 02:07 PM
 
1,124 posts, read 220,807 times
Reputation: 1845
Look for pear varieties resistant to fire blight. Bartlett pretty well guaranteed to get blight. Kieffer immune, you never see blight on a Kieffer. Kieffer more a canning pear though I dont mind its crispiness for eating. Its just not what people expect when they bite into a pear. But there are other softer pears more like Bartlett that are blight resistant. You just have to look for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 05:52 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,453 posts, read 9,348,544 times
Reputation: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Looks like it to me....early stage. Pears are highly susceptible. About all you can do is cut it out and hope for the best...Fire Blight

Regards
Gemstone1
I did exactly what you suggested, cutting out leaves and branches that was infected. Will keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. Worse case I'll have to remove the tree.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2020, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
16,379 posts, read 13,149,197 times
Reputation: 12328
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I did exactly what you suggested, cutting out leaves and branches that was infected. Will keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. Worse case I'll have to remove the tree.

Thanks.
I ended up taking out my small little orchard with five large apple trees and four pear trees. Your supposed to soak your shears in bleach between cutting off limbs. But I watch squirrels run up and down these trees and I figured I did not stand a chance. It wasn't just the squirrels; my trees were to big to prune off the blight.

It has now been two years since I removed them and I am thinking that it might be a good time to start replanting some of the disease resistant varieties. I did not want to replant right away in the soil that might still be contaminated.

Good luck to you and keep an eye on them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2020, 04:08 PM
 
Location: SoCal
5,453 posts, read 9,348,544 times
Reputation: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I ended up taking out my small little orchard with five large apple trees and four pear trees. Your supposed to soak your shears in bleach between cutting off limbs. But I watch squirrels run up and down these trees and I figured I did not stand a chance. It wasn't just the squirrels; my trees were to big to prune off the blight.

It has now been two years since I removed them and I am thinking that it might be a good time to start replanting some of the disease resistant varieties. I did not want to replant right away in the soil that might still be contaminated.

Good luck to you and keep an eye on them!
Thanks! Sorry to hear about your 9 trees!

After some research, I don't think what I have is fire blight but another fungal disease called "Fabraea leaf spot". It is a fungus infection and the remedy is the same, removing infected leaves & branches, but it does not appear as serious as fire blight. One possible cause is that when I water the tree, I like to soak everything down including the leaves. The wetness on the leaves may increase the spread of fungus.

Anyway, I will be keeping a close-eye on it. Keeping my fingers crossed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,914 posts, read 3,577,300 times
Reputation: 5612
New article from Stark Bros Nursery on Understanding Fire Blight.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top