U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 07:13 PM

11,970 posts, read 10,253,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I have a hedge of Thuja occidentalis 'Nigra' in North IL. It is 10 years old, distance between trees is 4'.
My hedge is getting more and more transparent now. I realized that last year, this year it is more transparent. Tree years ago you could not see the neighbor's house, now you can.
Is that the natural aging, or condition we can correct?
Can you post pictures?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 08:25 AM

747 posts, read 378,105 times
See the trees in general, and then the detail picture.
The white specs here and there - the neighbor house seen through the trees. We could not see it 2 years ago, now we can.
Attached Thumbnails
Arborvitae hedge-p1000398.jpg   Arborvitae hedge-p1000397.jpg   Arborvitae hedge-p1000399.jpg  

Old 06-29-2020, 11:03 AM

The branches and leaves on both the exterior and what I can see of the interior look perfectly healthy and lush, they have good colour and form and there are fresh, healthy new cones growing on the tips. But yes, I do see the little gaps that you are talking about.

Which side of the hedge gets the most exposure to daily sunlight - your side or your neighbour's side?

Have you taken a look at the opposite side of the hedge (your neighbour's side)? The only thing I can think of is it looks to me like your neighbour might have been trimming and thinning away some of the branches that are on his side of the hedge. Perhaps they were growing and extending way too much over his property line and if they were then he is within his rights to cut away anything that extends over his property.

Go look, take a picture from a distance that shows the whole length of the hedge from top to bottom on your neighbour's side of the hedge then report back with the picture and I can tell you if any of it has been cut. Or you could just ask your neighbour. Nicely.... don't confront.

If he has been trimming it I can tell you what you can do to fix your side of the hedge so you can't see through the gaps.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-29-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 04:30 PM

Sorry, I am sure he is not doing that.
There is a large gap between the trees' branches and the fence, at least 4 Ft. I use it to grow red raspberry. The arborvitae branches never get close to the fence...
Knowing my neighbour for years, I assume he will ask me to to trim the long branches, before doing anything on my side of the fence.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:04 PM

Okay. Scotch that idea then.

Well, those trees tend to lose foliage in the interior close to the trunk and become sparse because, as they age and are growing bigger with longer branches and more foliage on the exterior, which in turn blocks the sunlight from getting into the interior to feed the inner leaves and prevent fungal infections, they start losing leaves inside. So you could try a liquid foliar fertilizer and anti-fungal application for thujas that you can spray on the inside branches and onto the inner leaves and see if that encourages fuller growth inside to fill in the gaps.

Those little gaps look normal to me, consistent with their age and growth habit, and they allow for important air circulation and (hopefully) for natural sunlight to get in there. You didn't answer my bolded question about which side of the hedge gets the most daily sunlight, but never mind that now. If the gaps are bothering you then you could try shifting and loosely tying or interlacing some of the outer branches so they cover over the gaps.

And as Charlygal suggested you can trim the tops of the trees to encourage more growth lower down. If you give them a good straight, level trim across the tops it should take about a year for you to see that the existing gaps below have filled in or are filling in in most places.

And speak to the agricultural agent if you think it is still getting worse after fertilizing and trimming.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Zoi,
I am sorry: " You didn't answer my bolded question about which side of the hedge gets the most daily sunlight, but never mind that now."
You see the south side of the tree line in the pictures.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Zoi,
I am sorry: " You didn't answer my bolded question about which side of the hedge gets the most daily sunlight, but never mind that now."
You see the south side of the tree line in the pictures.
Okay, thanks. So check the north side of the hedge to see if the foliage is thinner and more sparse on the north side, and if it is you can pay particular attention to applying a spray on foliar feed to the north side of the hedge.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 2,697 times
i think using right fertiliser, watering and care all of them are important. what did you do next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden