U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:10 AM

5,442 posts, read 5,587,626 times

Advertisements

We have never fed the birds & this week I decided to buy some Humming Bird Nectar & hang a bird feeder in a tree in front of our home. The feeder has been up for 4 days now and we haven't seen a single bird. Since I have never done this before I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I would appreciate any guidance. Thank you. kelsie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 AM

8,944 posts, read 11,841,840 times
Patience. 4 days is nothing. My feeder has been up in Southern De. for just shy of 3 weeks and have not seen a HB as of yet. We usually have a ton of them. The weather here has been cool and I will await them when they arrive. Be advised that often times it takes a while for them to find a new food source.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,724,135 times
Sometimes it just takes time for them to find you. Also, generally, you should have the feeders up about the time they return from migrating. If you have a food source up early then the likelyhood of them staying and nesting nearby are greater and they won't just pass thru. So, I would suspect that a lot of hummers have already staked out there territories but, there will always be others to pass by but they do have to find you first.
Here we we live in North Alabama we had to have our feeders up by March 15th every yrs. Only would see a bird or 2 for a while on and off but after a while, there were dozens of them.

We lived in a hole in the woods, for real (you couldn't even see the house on satellite) so sometimes I set a bunch of fake bright flowers in the backyard to attract them in. I believe it worked.

FYI, you can make your own nectar very easily at home... 4cups water to 1 cup sugar (or shrink it down to 1 cup water =1/4 c. sugar). Boil the water, stir in the sugar until it dissolves and let it cool. That's it. NO food coloring required. It's actually not very good for them.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 AM

3,998 posts, read 1,562,483 times
It's not you....They have to find it first, and to find it, they have to be in the area first. If you're located in an urban/suburban neighborhood, maybe there just aren't any around. It may help if there's attractive flowers close by....They're very territorial, so maybe you're a little late in the season and they've already established adequate territory (?).

BTW- no need to buy commercial "feed." Make your own: 1 part sugar : 3-4 parts water.

We have two feeders about 20 ft apart under the porch roof and a third 30 ft out on a shepards crook. We have 4 birds entertaining us this year, buzzing in and out, cavorting incessantly--almost tame. When we're siting on the porch, they'll feed nonchalantly just 4 ft from our heads. When they have it on full throttle, flying close by, they sound like a Lollipop Clan version of a B17 buzzing Yankee Stadium.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM

Thank you all so much for letting me know that it is not me. I will keep the feeder up until Fall and then put it back in the Spring. I will follow all your suggestions including making my own sugar water.
Then in Fall I will get some more feeders to take care of some of the Winter birds. So I know I will be back to ask more questions from you experts. Thank you again. kelsie

Old 06-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Thank you all so much for letting me know that it is not me. I will keep the feeder up until Fall and then put it back in the Spring. I will follow all your suggestions including making my own sugar water.
Then in Fall I will get some more feeders to take care of some of the Winter birds. So I know I will be back to ask more questions from you experts. Thank you again. kelsie

Old 06-17-2020, 11:51 AM
JRR

4,724 posts, read 2,744,141 times
It has been a strange year for us in Tennessee. Usually by now the hummers are taking turns driving each other from the feeder. But this year I just see one now and then and haven't actually seen any for the last several days. And our hostas are blooming which usually is a magnet for them.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM

10,671 posts, read 4,845,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
There are right and wrong ways to feed wild birds. Some reading to get you thinking...

https://www.mendhamgardencenter.com/...birds-feeding/

https://www.audubon.org/news/11-tips...backyard-birds

https://www.duncraft.com/

Old 06-17-2020, 02:21 PM

Thank you everyone! kelsie

Old 06-18-2020, 07:43 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,724,135 times
This is one of our feeders. We had 5 /48oz feeders (very large) and generally by mid summer 2 of them would have to be refilled during the day. My husband worked with the fella that ran up the SE division of the Nat'l hummingbird society for some time so he got very involved with the birdies. He was out of town and asked me if I was keeping up with the feeders so I just videoed this quick clip of the feeder just outside a door. And this is just one of the feeders. We usually had buku birds.

But they are fun to watch!

Oh, and don't think you're doing them a favor by adding more sugar (some do). It can actually give them a tongue fungus and then they starve to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tao8ibrw8XA&t=51s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden